TKR Surgeon Check Up Routine: Wobbling Knee?

enjoyLife

Country
Australia Australia
Hi,

First up - I'm a newbie making my first post, please let me know if this is the right place!

I had a TKR in 2013 and recovered normally with no major problems so far. Around 2 weeks ago, I started hearing my knee click whenever I straightened it after it was bent for a while. There is no pain/redness/swelling and my movement is not affected, but it has been concerning me since it hasn't clicked like this since perhaps 1 year post op. (It has been sore this morning, possibly since I have been using a compression bandage around it for the past few days).

The night before this started, I was lying on my stomach and twisted around to lie on my back too quickly. I immediately felt discomfort (not pain) in my knee which lasted the night. The next morning the discomfort was gone but the clicking started and has persisted since.

Has anyone experienced this or something similar? What sort of problem could this be? Are there exercises I could do to fix this? I'm especially worried that the clicking is causing more abrasion than normal in my knee, which may affect how long it lasts.

I really appreciate any help. Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi, enjoyLife and welcome to BoneSmart.

It is good that you don't have any of the normal problem indicators accompanying this new clicking in your knee (significant pain, redness, swelling, change in your ability to move). I suppose the slight pain you're feeling could be related to wearing a compression bandage, but it sounds more likely it is related to the twisting motion you made before the clicking started. Knees sometimes don't like torque motions like that.

If you're wearing the bandage to try and help with the clicking, I'd leave it off for a few days and see if that makes any difference. If you're not icing your knee, you might try that as well. It's possible that the soft tissues got a little inflamed with that movement and you have some fluid in the knee. That can cause the clicking.

Take things easy for a couple of weeks and see where you are. Of course, if you start to experience any pain or obvious swelling, you should go have it checked. But I'm betting this will resolve itself with some time.

Hi Jamie, thanks for your reply.

I haven't been icing, I will try it. Do you have any suggestions on how long and often I should do that? I'll also leave the bandage off and take things easy. I'll update you on how things are going in a few weeks.

Thanks again for your advice!

You need to ice for at least 45 minutes per session. You can ice for longer.
You do need to have something like a soft piece of material between your skin and the icing medium, to protect your skin from frost bite.

This article explains about icing:
Ice to control pain and swelling

You might try elevating as well:
Elevation: the do's and dont's

Hi,

Sorry for reviving an old thread, just wanted to update it. The clicking problem has not stopped or gotten better/worse. There is still no pain, redness, stiffness, change to ROM etc, but my knee has been generally numb since surgery and my sense of touch is greatly reduced there anyway.

Yesterday I got x-rays of my knee, but I have to wait a month to see my surgeon.

@enjoyLife
Curious how you ended up with stems during your primary TKR?
@Roy Gardiner also had stems during his primary bilateral TKR's.

Since there is no pain or other symptoms, my best guess is everything is OK.

Many members have clicking that continues long after their replacement.
Clicking/clunking knee joint after surgery

Hi @pumpkin
Thanks for your reply. I had a tumour removed so needed the stems.

I'm just worried about this since I had clicking after surgery which went away eventually, then a few years with no clicking, and now its restarted again...

@enjoyLife
Curious if you have lost some muscle tone? During recovery the clicking usually disappears as the muscles strengthen around your knee. If you have lost some strength or tone, that may explain the clicking.

Please post your surgery date, a moderator will add it to your signature for you. Having the exact date will help us properly advise you. Thanks!

@Pumpkln
I'm not sure if I've lost muscle, its possible since I'm going out less due to COVID. I do go swimming and use the elliptical machine in the gym, about once a week each. I'll do some strengthening exercises for my leg. I can't remember my exact surgery day but have added month/year to my signature :)

Thanks for your surgery date!

With decreased activity it is possible that is behind your clicking.
Glad you have an appointment with your OS, hopefully they will have some answers.

I have a check up with my surgeon soon and was wondering how everyone else's surgeons' check their knee? My surgeon "wobbles" my knee from side to side, to check how sturdy it is I suppose, but this often leaves my knee feeling unstable for a few days before it recovers. So every time I see him I get quite worried about this. Especially for the upcoming check up, I'm seeing him for potential knee stability issues in the first place. I would prefer to skip this step, but don't want to appear disrespectful (he's a great surgeon and everything).

Am curious to hear if this is a standard check up procedure?

Thanks, and hope you're all doing well :)

Mine never did that. He checked the incision, removed staples & took an xray at my 1st visit. After that he just check flex/extension, looked at incision & made sure I wasn't having any problems

I just went for my 3 month check up yesterday he looked at my knee, had me straighten it, bend it, walk for him, squat and stand on my toes and heels. He said the swelling can last a year and that I was doing better than most at this stage. Xrays looked great also so my only complaint is the swelling. Icing really doesn’t do much for me and I do it often. Hope you get good results!

My surgeon "wobbles" my knee from side to side, to check how sturdy it is I suppose, but this often leaves my knee feeling unstable for a few days before it recovers.
Mine did this, but very gently and I had no side effects from it. I agree that it was to see if it was stable, more than likely.

Yes its common they want to make sure the knee is stable. Depending on how your doing I agree when its checked it can be painful or in your case unstable.

I would prefer to skip this step, but don't want to appear disrespectful (he's a great surgeon and everything).
My surgeon didn't wiggle my knee, he was more a fan of pushing the bend as much as he could, which was very painful. I understand your feeling that you don’t want to go against his protocol, but I finally had enough. It took me until my 7 month checkup to refuse to let him do that.

In your previous thread you mentioned your TKR was in 2014, but your signature says 2013. Can you confirm the date please?

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Dave4562
Recent bookmarks
Back