Supersonic's Pre Op Thread

My last 6 weeks before hip surgery were so hard.
Sleep deprivation is terrible on us physically and psychologically...so much sympathy!
I do hope you get a date soon..
It seemed a bit easier when I knew there would be an end to the struggle.

Morning @Supersonic. I am having bad nights sleep also. I had to come off my meloxicam last week before surgery, it's very difficult. My daughter downloaded a sleep app on my phone for me, it does help. I have it set to listen to gentle rain with a soothing flute. It's called Sleepo, however there are many other ones. I thought of the ones for babies since they are also soothing. I hope you can get your date soon. Would it help to call them? It does help ease the waiting when there is an end in sight. Take care.

Hi again,
Well June came and went and here l am still waiting for my operation date.
I'm so bored of the pain, the waiting and how contracted my life has become.
I'm still working even though it takes every ounce of energy. Without it l really would have no real reason to get up most days !
And Oh do l look forward to lying down after work and the few hours of sleep.
Waiting seems to have erased any doubts about my THR . I'm not going to 'heal' ( l really thought l could use diet and exercise to heal myself )
It won't improve without help and l'm totally ready for that now, all doubts gone.
I probably do to much at work by working 6.5h /4 days per week. I 'm on my feet alot of the times and walking / hobbling around. But l don't do much else. I do worry l'm perpetuating an internal wound in the joint. But as l'm not a medic, l'm not sure. All the articles on exercise seem to suggest it's a positive but personal choice for arthritis suffers, even when bone on bone.
I've lost perspective on this.
When l wake around 3am it's my go to worry that l should just give up working for now, when l'd planned to do so a week or so before my op date.
I keep thinking just get to the weekend or next day off then see how l feel.
Anyone else pushing themselves to the point of crippling exhaustion ?
So that you're exhausted and get 3 hours of solid sleep?
Is this similar to exercise addiction?
Am l making things worse ?
I am actually getting obssessed and feel like everything is in relation to my hip which l suppose it is
Anyway would be grateful to hear from anyone else having similar feelings or with any advice to offer.

Last edited:
Oh, no, @Supersonic! You sound perfectly exhausted with work and doing too much. It is really, I think, time to get that hip replaced--there is no reason to continue trying to "tough it out" like you're doing. Hip replacement surgery and recovery is no walk in the park, but it will fix the problem if you've got a bum (osteoarthritis?) hip and give you your life back. I am so different than you--once I learned I had severe osteoarthritis I knew I'd get surgery as soon as I could schedule it. Everything I've read or heard suggests that problems can't be "cured" by exercise and/or diet. I eat pretty healthy and exercise regularly but that didn't prevent my hips deteriorating. yes, I realize it's a personal choice as to when to get it done--lots of factors like overall health, financial considerations, finding a doctor you trust, etc. But the reality is that things simply aren't going to get better on their own and admitting that to yourself and getting the help you need might be the most sensible approach now. So sorry you're so miserable--but hang in there. I'm having hip #2 replaced tomorrow, and while not excited at the prospect I know it is the best thing to be doing. I deserve, and you do too, a good life free of debilitating hip pain. Best of luck to you as you ponder what to do next.

Hi @Supersonic
It sounds as though you're resigned to the fact you need the surgery.
Do you have any idea when it will finally be scheduled? To me the determining factors in how long I'd work pre-op would be my financial situation and how much flexibility I had with my job / employer.

In recovery, a Phased Return To Work at 12 weeks is what's recommended but understandably it's not feasible for everyone. Pushing yourself to crippling exhaustion, without restorative rest, while dealing with the pain you describe will only serve to weaken your immune system and add to your stress level, consequently adding to your fatigue. Dealing with uncertainty for as long as you have must feel maddening at times. Wishing you comfort as you wait for a date. Hopefully you get one soon so you can finally move forward.
Keep in touch. We're here for you.

@Supersonic

Your tale is heartbreaking and I wish someone would give you a date! I have no idea what you should do with a date in limbo! Is it possible for you to make a nuisance of yourself in the OS office? Preferably in person? No one should be stringing you along like this.. Try to get on a cancellation list too.

I am so sorry you have to wait with no date in mind. I have had a long wait and still have 4m to go but at least I have a date to look forward to. Can you keep bugging your OS office or/and your GP. Sometimes the squeaky wheel gets answers. You are very brave to be still working - can you cut down to shorter days or fewer days just so you are not so exhausted and have so much pain. Please keep us posted how you are doing and if you need to let some of the stress out.

Hi to all the lovely smarties that have made the last few months bearable but...
I have a date !!!
Officially it's 19th August
( l 'm refusing to be pessimistic that it might get cancelled)
So now l can start putting a few plans in place. Not sure what the plans are yet.
But l will be looking for some inspiration here. So far I've got :
Grabber
Crutches & cane
Booster cushion
Comfy loose clothes
New shoes for a new gait
Batch cook recipe ideas
A puzzle book
Music down loads
List on Netflix to binge

I've had a while to think about this but if anyone has any further suggestions ? They will be much appreciated.
I will try and work until 12th August, when l shall have to stop anti inflammatory meds. Tried a couple of days last week without them and whether it was real or not felt l'd developed a burtisis. Is that even possible ?

I'm trying not to get too buoyed up because anything could happen but l haven't felt this good in ages, so why not?
What's the saying, 'Pride comes before a fall'. I'd better calm down for a bit.
Anyway
Bye for now xxxx

Check your toilet( loo).. Is it high enough or do you need a riser seat or a riser seat with handrails or just the handrails?
Its not a place you want to get stuck..

Lots of folks swear by a recliner but if you need to shop for one I have no idea what to suggest.. Others may.
Also a nest side table big enough for your books and water bottle and anything else like a handy source of ice.
Pillows for elevation.. Toes above nose!
So happy I have a surgery twin! Across the pond same date so... you go first.
@Layla a date for Supersonic!!!

@Supersonic
Hip, hip Hooray!!!:happydance: Finally a date....which hip is being replaced and we can get it added to your signature and put you in the August surgery group??

You might want to make sure you have stool softeners and whatever else (prune juice, pumpkin puree, or laxatives) in case you have any constipation issues. I had to send hubby after and I was foggy brained and he wanted to call me and list all the brands in the drugstore:oyvey:
Roll on August 19!

@Supersonic I am just catching up on your thread, and it felt like reading a suspense novel to get to the surprise ending and learn you have a date, August 19th! So relieved for you, as I know that having a plan to fix my hip in place made it ever so much easier to tolerate both the pain and the sleeplessness. And, it was such a mental relief when it came to sorting out daily life decisions - a date gave me a way to organize. The mental fatigue that has been my constant companion has been one of my greatest challenges, as it seems to be for you, and I hope having the end in sight will now give you a much-needed “second wind”, that will make this final stretch a more encouraging time. Wishing you all the best!

So happy that you've finally gotten a date @Supersonic! The wait is hard but so much worse when you don't have an actual end date to work toward. I do well know the exhaustion that you mention, that was me going up to surgery. Worked up until the last couple of days before surgery then my OS had car accident on way to surgery so hot cancelled. Had to wait another week and a half to get the surgery done and there was no way at that point that I could go back to work. Luckily Doc have me slip to stay out. Try your best to take it easy, rest, relax, ice or heat, whichever helps distract you. Sending healing thoughts and hugs.

Congratulations on your date @Supersonic! I think it’s great this date has you feeling “up”. I was really excited when I finally had firm dates, people would seem puzzled but I was really excited. My fear didn’t kick in until the eleventh hour. Then my husband had to remind me it would be ok, and the reasons I was doing this. So enjoy the mood break, and best wishes!

Thank you for all your kind words and encouragement. It's great to talk to people that get it.
It has turned into a bit of a saga and also a bit of a personal diary. Which even now l can see my ups and downs.
Came off my bike today ( the only gentle excercise l can do as it's something l've always done) other than a bruised arm and sore left hip, l'm ok.
It's my right hip that's going so lucky really. I seem to be bumping into things recently. Whether it's fatigue or just plain clumsy l"m not sure.
I have this weekend off and my lovely daughter is visiting for the weekend too. So l will see how l feel monday morning work wise.
I really can't see myself sitting around until the 19th August.
It's been years since l didn't have something to keep me focused or children to look after.

I know myself well enough to know l would get up later and later and that l really need structure.
It's not like l can do much now. At least recovery will be something to focus on.
I'd like to keep working until at least the beginning of August. Then relax (defo Elf1, what a journey !)) maybe prep meals and get the house ready.
I think they mentioned about the dreaded constipation (Rbc)at Joint Club ( back in my earlier post) Laxatives are compulsorary according to the senior nurse. Totally non negotiable : °
I'm not getting a recliner chair and have lots of pillows and cushions and high foot stool already. But will look into ice packs because they do get good reveiws everywhere.
I already you freeze gel at night when l'm sore and between med doses.a
My hospital provides a new toilet raiser which they then ask you to discard.
I have a bath shower but my Mom lives near enough to shower in her walk-in shower once l'm up to it.
I know there will be someting l forget even with this much notice but nothing that's insurmountable.

Anyway sorry for the long post. l wish you all well wherever you are on your journey, especially Mainegirl1 - we've got this !! X

@Supersonic Don't forget to buy yourself a grabber - or 2. Even if you don't have any post op restrictions grabbers are a great help. Best to have at least 2. You need one to pick up the one you dropped! :heehee:

@Supersonic congratulations on getting a date at last ! It wiĺl be here before you know it! I too am in the UK and had the toilet seat provided by the hospital- also a frame, which I really couldn't have managed without. They take the frame back when you have finished with it. I would put ice packs at the top of your list - I have the large gel type from Amazon, which have been brilliant.
You are right to keep busy now - the end to your wait is in sight! :yes!:

Supersonic
Hip, hip Hooray!!!:happydance: Finally a date....which hip is being replaced and we can get it added to your signature and put you in the August surgery group??

Really want to see your signature...let us know.:yes:

Congratulations on getting a date. So much better to have something to aim at and focus on. Start making our lists and getting things together for recovery - I always find this part exciting - a way of moving forward. If you need cheering up make a list of all the things you might want to do once the pain is gone and you are recovered.

:thankyou:
Positive weekend with my daughter Shopping and lunch, truly exhausted by Saturday night.
She will be home the week before my own mother is around for the 2 weeks post op. Then l'm relying on my ex and son for a week or so. Very lucky really to have support both in life and here.
I have a grabber, looking for ice/gel packs.
Not sure what a bonesmart signature is Mojo333 but as soon as l do, will do it:loll:

It really sounds like you are putting all the pieces in place for a smooth recovery, @Supersonic ! By the way, I am curious about your screen name. Are you a basketball fan? An aerospace historian? Or do you feel “the need for speed”? :). If anyone doesn’t recognize the quote, it’s from Top Gun - I just saw the trailer for the sequel.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
HikerWalker
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom