Supersonic's Pre Op Thread

Supersonic

Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Hello
I 'm new to this and think my surgery date will be in May. It may be June because the the ward I am due to go to has be closed due to an infection! So as you can imagine my nerves are screaming right now. I'm trying my best to stay calm as we were told that stress aggravates healing and worsens pain at the hospital run Joint Club.

I'm pretty miserable at the moment having had two distinct injuries in October and December 2018, which pretty much shot what little cartilage I had left. I have 'healed' over the last two months but x-rays show bone on bone and cysts also I have the all to familiar waddle when I walk plus pain when I walk. One leg is shorter and is causing problems with my spine. The out look can only get worse without surgery.

I've had Arthritis since 2012 and honestly thought having exhausted meds would be offered steroid injections but The Doctor has advised a THR. I was not too shocked as all the women in my family have had it and alot of it I'm told is hereditary.

I feel like I'm in a dream that can't be true and when I'm just sitting it's almost bearable and I forget the disturbed sleep and reduced mobility. I'm 51 and won't have to bear this for too much longer.

So glad I joined this site because reading that others are just as apprehensive, similar in age or positively looking forward to their 1st and sometimes 2nd THR makes me want to just get on with it.

Hope this forum keeps me sane through the process !

welcome 3.jpg
@Supersonic, so pleased that you have joined us here on the forum. As you can see, I have moved your post from the May surgery list thread into a thread of your own where you and your questions and concerns will receive the attention they deserve.

When you get an actual surgery date, request to be put on the appropriate surgery list at that time.

If you are at the stage where you have joint pain but don't know for sure if you are ready to have surgery, these links may help:

If you are at the stage where you are planning to have surgery but are looking for information so you can be better prepared for what is to come, take a look at these links:

And if you want to picture what your life might be like with a replaced hip, take a look at the posts and threads from other BoneSmarties provided in this link:

We are here to help in any way we can: answering questions and concerns; supporting and encouraging you from start to finish; giving you a place to vent, whine, complain if you need to; sharing experiences with one another; and having fun and some laughs along the way.

Take care and keep us posted. We care.

Hi @Supersonic
Making the decision to have your op will be one of the best things you could gave done.
All of that awful OA pain goes immediately. It's such a relief.
You have a little while yet until your op so plenty of time to read up on preparation. Wishing you all the best

Welcome to BoneSmart! You are so fortunate to have found this site prior to your surgery. I found it just weeks before my surgery and it was so helpful to me as I prepared for my own surgery. I found all sorts of useful tips and ideas as well as learning more about the recovery process. I also found it interesting to see others having their surgery the same day as mine. We followed each other along during those early months. There is always someone on here to offer help and/or encourage when needed. Keep us posted and be sure to let us know when you learn your surgery date. Those in charge will add the date to your signature. Wishing you well.

Thank you for the replies, I'm definitely having surgery. I get my pre option in April, with my opinion date to follow. It's constantly there in the back of my mind.
Not helped but the gnawing pain that has got so much worse. I'm trying to keep moving and watch my weight but it really feels like my life is on hold until this is done.
I have been busy looking at various insurance deals to put in place for the future when l need my other hip done.

It's just a distraction tactic really as l can't seem settle to anything right now
I will post when l have my date confirmed but as another lady said on a post l just read. I will be lurking on the site and hopefully not repeating myself. lnstead of driving my family mad as every conversation seems to wind up about my up coming THR.

:welome: to the forum and glad you are on your way to getting healthy and happy again.:tada:
I got so weary of the pain from OA and lack of sleep...that the prospect of having both hips replaced...though jarring...gave me hope that I could get on with my life .
I've never regretted getting new hips!

Alot of great advice and support here!:) :-) (:

“I will be lurking on the site and hopefully not repeating myself. lnstead of driving my family mad as every conversation seems to wind up about my up coming THR.“

That is one HUGE advantage of this forum. Nearly everyone has “been there, done that” and they speak THR language so they are GREAT listeners with an understanding, sympathetic ear. It is an amazing outlet for our feelings and frustrations because everyone understands. We have all felt like we were boring family and conversations always reverted to our issues so now you have the best place to discuss your issues.

Once I decided to go for the surgery, I swear my pain got continuously worse right up to surgery day. I knew it would never get better on its own so I was glad I had finally set up the date. Wishing you well.

I feel more positive having looked at some of the threads here.
I've only ever known THR in the elderly or very inactive. So needing it done came as a bit of a shock. I hope to have better mobility or the mobility l had a couple of years ago.
Failing that less pain and at least a halt to my limited movement.
I'm hoping my new hips will take me to retirement and new adventures. Reading about double hippies makes me think l have a real shot at enjoying the next phase of my life.
I forget that l am getting older but my bones and greying hair are there to remind me ! But I'm not ready to slow down yet.

Good for you...you can do this and get back to your life.
I gained at least a decade, I feel, since having bilateral hip replacement.
I felt old, unsure, and wondered if this was the beginning of other issues...except for those terrible hips I have been very healthy and active..but some small pains that I soldiered through grew to terrible back pain, sleepless nights, and limping.
Now I feel young, my hips feel natural and I can run circles around those half my age.
Glad THR exists and I didn't have to wait until someone thought I was old enough to have it done.

Welcome to BoneSmart! Thanks for joining us. I think you'll like it here. Lots of info and the support is the best.
Stop back often. We'll be here to walk alongside you on the journey.
A great Thursday to you!

I'm hoping my new hips will take me to retirement and new adventures. Reading about double hippies makes me think l have a real shot at enjoying the next phase of my life.

Check out this article -
http://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/hips-that-have-lasted-32-40-41-and-45-years.13853/
@Supersonic

Hi again
My pain goes from minor to major depending on what l am doing. I walked into town the other day as l was feeling depressed and immobile and it was the first sunny day of spring
( Recently l have been cycling as this is a gentle exercise and doesn't result in the waddle and associated back pain)
I bumped into some locals as you do in a small town / village. I don't know these people by name but the husband is a cheery sort who always speaks ( l digress again he is a local character who talks to everyone to the annoyance of his long suffering wife)
Anyway he stopped me and commented on my limp ! As l said l have been doing gentle cycling for a while rather than walk somsybemy limp is more pronounced.
His wife apologied and told me to keep moving. l told her about my upcoming THR. He decide to tell me l had probably inflicted tbis on myself due to the seat on my bike being too high!
I felt crushed TBH.
l guess it's back to walking in the dark to save the embarrassment. Or swimming which seems too much effort in winter.

Anyone else trying to keep as active as possible before THR ?

I have encountered much the same, @Supersonic . My hubs and I have a system but someone always wants to help. Usually to my detriment.

I don't know where you live, but here in the south, we have an expression.... Bless your heart. It can mean what it seems or can be more of a mind your own business. I hope you have an appropriate expression. :heehee:

I agree with SarahBee...Bless his heart!:eyebrows:
He decide to tell me l had probably inflicted tbis on myself due to the seat on my bike being too high!
I felt crushed TBH.
He probably inflicted stupidity on himself by lack of oxygen from sticking his foot in his mouth.:yes:
And don't you dare be crushed. He's an idiot.:nah:
We are sensitive emotionally when we have been dealing with chronic pain and the prospect of a big surgery.
My hips were both junk at age 53 because...:shrug:
They are both great now.
Ignore those sort of folks...do what you feel up to but don't feel like you need to be training for surgery.
Upper body strength can be very helpful so do what you can and hope you get a date soon!:ok:

Last edited:
he is a local character who talks to everyone to the annoyance of his long suffering wife)

He has diarrhea of the mouth. Can't stand those holier than thou, know it all types.
You want to say "I don't recall asking your opinion, Mr Buttinski."
Observe the Girl Power here :heehee: He wouldn't meddle with us collectively, we'd kick him to the curb. :rotfl:
@Supersonic

Hi @Supersonic
My op will probably be in May, or more likely in June, like yours and I am also doing my best to keep active. It's not easy, is it?! I try to carry on being "normal" and do the things I would usually do, but increasingly now I find myself turning down invitations - it seems as if my world is shrinking! As for people commenting on my limp, ........:hissy:
I notice you have a "joint club" at your hospital - this sounds like a good idea. Is it helpful?
We just have to hang on in there and hope for a date soon!

Hello @Supersonic. What a mental and emotional relief it is to find this forum. I was so excited when I stumbled across this wonderful place! I told everybody about it, even my surgeon. I'm getting ready for my other hip in July. I'll work up to two weeks prior if possible. I stand at my job 40hrs weekly and do very little in the evenings. Sat is when I get done at home what I can do. This is the best place to vent our frustrations with pain and "dum" people. I'm taking my cane with me when i go shopping. Maybe they'll back off and give me the room i need to get around.

Surgery April 3... im walking... taking my dog to agility training... doing upper body workout and bicycle just to get in shape for post surgery. I think it also helps my frame of mind and keeps me from worrying about THR. It’s so windy and cold here today so just kind of hanging out with the cat... while dog looks at me like WALK ME. Hahaha. Supersonic... you’ll do great!

Anyone else trying to keep as active as possible before THR ?
I think nearly everyone tries to keep active pre-op. Trouble is for some the pain is just too much! And excessive limping around impacts other areas making recovery even more of a challenge.

Thank you for your kind replies. I have managed to hide my limp in the last few months. Family know obviously and no longer comment, just glad I'm getting surgery soon. Hopefully tbe hospital can clear infection from the ward and resume new surgeries !
My work are very understanding too I'm on lighter duties. Guess l was just taken aback by how shocked casual acquaintance was by my limp., 'bless his heart'.
Finding the pain has intensified around my bad hip coupled with muscle fatigue.
Stronger meds for now but if that doesn't work l may have to take sick leave before my THR. A little shocked myself by increasing pain, stiffness and constant injury

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie
Recent bookmarks
Back