BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Joint Replacement Patient Advocacy
and Online Community
  1. RATE YOUR SURGEON ON OUR NEW JOINT SURGEON LOCATOR

Your opinion matters so please click on this announcement to find out how to rate the surgeons you have worked with

You could also go to the Surgeon Locator via the blue nav bar at the top - find the tab "Surgeon Locator"

Dismiss Notice

Supersonic's Pre Op Thread

Discussion in 'Hip Replacement Pre-Op Area' started by Supersonic, Mar 18, 2019.

1. Mojo333

Mojo333 FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

United States United States
    I missed this, but apparently some keen eyes didn't :tada:
    Now at the bottom of your post, your upcoming Right THR surgery date is reflected...
    Not much longer, then bye bye hip pain.:yahoo:

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  2. Supersonic

Supersonic junior member

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Hi Ptarmigan I chose 'Supersonic ' as a moniker because it's fast and to the point.. I guess l have lived my life quite blithely, rarely ill, fit, healthy. Things l've taken for granted. I'm a fairly straight forward person too very much A to B. Learning to smell the roses now and adjust my pace accordingly !

• Friendly Friendly x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Ptarmigan

Ptarmigan senior

Thank you, Supersonic, for explaining:). I will just say, I love the way roses smell, even if I have had to adjust to life in the slower lane myself, for the time being.

We’ll get back there, Supersonic. But maybe we’ll get to take the gift of appreciation with us :)

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. CricketHip

CricketHip FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

Congrats to you @Supersonic ! August 19 will be here before you know it, just go easy on that bike!:bicycle1:

There is a boat load of informative articles on the hip forum.. try to dive in and read some of them. They are very reassuring and you sound like someone who likes to be prepared.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Supersonic

Supersonic junior member

!WARNING SELF INDULGENT RAMBLING POST!​

I have been taking my meds religiously ( no disrespect). Soldiering on like a trooper and really carrying on as if my op will be nothing more than a minor inconvenience.

Then something began clicking and l dont mean just my hip. I realised that l've probably had my last bubble bath for awhile and that l'm happy to potter around using my crutch for support especially as stairs can nearly defeat me some nights.
    I've given up my bicyle for now as stopping safely and dismounting are no longer safe for me.
    I have been using a little step to climb in to my bath to shower but this morning l embraced the top to toe flannel wash
    It's 2 weeks until my op so it's a flurry of activity getting things l never thought l'd need. ( Bed raisers, reusable ice packs, getting enough meds in place, figuring where l can sit comfortably in the initial few weeks) All on a budget too.
    Pain and mobility wise, it's the worse it's been so far and it's not even done yet! . Sleep ? Forget it. Naps are the way forward right now.
    I foolishly decided to cut the grass yesterday as it's been mostly rain recently on the days my son is available. It was that or watch my 2 cats get covered in grass seeds especially in their eyes. This happened before and the last thing l need is vet bills and the hassle of administering eyes cream to wriggling cats.
    So l took my time despite the threatened down pour and felt very proud of myself.
    Needless to say, today l am paying the price with sore back and hip. Hence barely being able to get out of bed.
    I'm well aware that my problems are minor and a solution is not far off.
    Understanding why sometimes l feel so useless and depressed is helped by writing it down and sharing it here.
    If it honestly wasn't for my children now adults of 26, 24 & 19 and the thought of many more adventures l don't think l could go on.
    Sometimes it gets foggy - the meds? I don't know - and l remind myself of why l want to go on.

My surgeon on reading my notes, saw that l had suffered from depression in my 20s. I have pretty much forgotten about it. I've been busy and apart from the odd blip, and lots of counselling when it was at it's peak. I have got by without meds or trouble.
    He asked if l thought l would be mentally able to cope with a prosthetic hip and meds. Cos once it's in thats it!
    I was shocked, we'd only just met, before this bombshell he'd been showing me his bag of hips. Explaining which cup he'd use, how it would be cementless. I brushed it off never thought of it again. That was 7 months ago. 7 months of meds, pain, my world shrinking.
    I've become a bit isolated recently, l see colleagues but still feel lonely in a crowd sort of isolated. To do the essentials is enough but things still get wobbly at times.

I said this was a self indulgent post but how else can l share this ?
    I don't want to wallow in this but l do want to remember how l felt at my lowest point and if anyone else feels this way to know they are not alone.

My respect for the physically disabled has grown expedentially.

Having events to look forward to keeps me sane however big or small.
    It's lovely to read the positive post op threads. I try to skip the less positive ones right now. I look forward to sharing my own recovery very soon

• Like Like x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 2
  6. Mojo333

Hi my poor suffering friend.:console2:

I found Bonesmart very shortly before my op, and only got a definitive diagnosis of end stage OA 5 weeks prior.
    By this point I was desperately sleep deprived and depressed beyond words from the never ending pain.
    :sad:
    I certainly could have written this.

These problems are far from minor...they are extremely distressing to even those without prior history of depression.

The infirmity I experienced before my op, and the direct aftermath after surgery surely made me more mindful of those who have physical disabilities and eternally grateful for my hip replacements.

This is a problem with a solution which makes us very lucky people.
    The wait is the worst.
    You will be so glad to get this behind you and you have alot of support here.
    Hang on..
    And try to have an easy Sunday.
    Hugsxxx:roseshwr:

• Friendly Friendly x 3
  7. Supersonic

Supersonic junior member

Thank you for your kind words,:flwrysmile:
    I was so worried about posting this, l've always believed a problem shared is a problem halved but sometimes sharing with those close who we love just speads the problem ! Xx

• Friendly Friendly x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Mojo333

Not much longer...words that can cause a bit of anxiety but definitely inspires hope.
    I was so "done" by the time I had surgery, that the nervousness was definitely offset by :yes!:, I Want My Life Back!
    You are going to do great.:ok:

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  9. mainegirl1

mainegirl1 senior

Yes you will!
    I'm your date twin and so ready
    Looking forward to mounting a bike normally!

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  10. leejaa

leejaa post-grad

This is a safe place to express our fears/frustrations and hopes. Everyone here understands. I can relate to the loneliness even with others around as the pain and the tiredness from lack of sleep makes you feel very alone as others (except here) cannot really relate.

I always joked that I had all my body parts till I had the first knee replaced and never thought about it. I wondered if I would care but with the lack of pain and ability to walk and do chores and grocery shopping without pain I have never given my metal knees and then a hip a thought except to be thankful to be able to live freely again.

Hang in there and get your house prepped for the recovery. Check into a transfer bench to get into the bathtub/shower and also a shower chair and see if they would help you now and later.

• Like Like x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  11. julesglass

julesglass graduate

Good evening @Supersonic. I was reading your thread and I can relate about depression. I had a time in my life when the world crashed in and I found myself in that dark hole of depression. I wound up on meds and was slowly able to get back and quit the meds for about 10yrs. Then menopause set in and that ugly monster started rising up again. I was able to see where I was headed if I didn't get help soon. I went to my GP and was told that menopause can cause depression to resurface. I went back on antidepressants and that really helped. I have continued with them and had to change meds once after my husband passed and then family issues. I say all this to let you know post op blues are real just as pre op blues. If I was not already on antidepressants before surgery I know for me this would have been a total melt down just to get to surgery let alone post op. We do everything to keep our spirits up, however we need to know when we need extra help. Just remember, we're pulling for you we're all in this together. :friends:

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Ptarmigan

Ptarmigan senior

Ahhh, @Supersonic , you are a brave one to share your post! Thank you. This will help you, and so many others beside you! You’ve put into words - beautifully- many thoughts and feelings I have had here in “preop” - there have been many dark nights of the soul.

One wise friend with chronic illness (not a BoneSmartie) taught me that coping is as much a mental as a physical challenge - and I couldn’t possibly be on my mental game without sleep. Failing that, naps. Worst case, rest. She told me to stop everything else when I felt the bottom dropping out, and just rest. This good advice has pulled me out of some very dark moments.

I am tough to reassure. When well-meaning family/friends say, “It’s all going to be okay,” I get exasperated. But I have one magical friend who says, “Can you allow for the possibility that...(fill in a positive change)?” And I find that I can always allow for a possibility, as long as no one expects me to agree to a certainty. And accepting a possibility is enough to open the drapes and crack open a window, no matter how dark it is. And that’s enough to keep me going, until, inevitably, something good happens - and I get refreshed enough to locate some optimism.

The failure of my joint triggered grief. Getting a prosthesis filled me with ambivalence. Painful childhood memories of being punished and isolated for being ill/injured came back to shame me. I feel anxious when I have to interact with others in such a diminished state. So I have been in therapy, and it’s helping a great deal.

Wishing you a good surprise to lift you up over a few of these last tough-it-out days.

• Friendly Friendly x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. Supersonic

Supersonic junior member

:prayer::prayer::giggle:Hi Bonesmarties,
    Not long now, and l'm keeping as active and positive as l can given my op date of 19th August '19 just a week away.
    Realizing l'm not alone for this and that it will pass has been great. Keeping busy right now getting everything in place ( that's me to a tee, over prepared and examining but hey ) .
    Just got to raise my bed and chair when l realised l could get out without going past 90° hip movement. Didn't make much sense when l got measured all those months ago in joint club.
    Feel stiff and groggy in the morning which is how l realised. Already going up stairs as recommended with crutch as it helps. Sometimes come down stairs backwards too (Top tip from my mom. Who is the polar opposite to me, also a THR hippy but doesn't hold with 'naval gazing' and like to leave it all to her surgeon. Ignorance is bliss for her but we're all different)
    Still super supportive in her own way but think seeing me like this upsets her somewhat. As a mother l get that.
    So anti inflams stop tomoro, not sure how that will. Work refusing to give me paid leave, my own fault. Asked for right date wrong month in my befuddled sleep deprived fog. So will work up wednesday or thursday if poss because 2 other poeople are off and l dont think they get it.
    To be far it's been an ongoing saga since February and l think maybe they are forgetting that l take a cart load of meds to show up.:banghead:
    Anyway 2 other women on holiday and l guess at tbis point l don't need more drama. So fingers crossed for plain sailing over the next few weeks:prayer:

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  14. Mojo333

Sorry about the mixup, but even though it may be a struggle, work might be a good distraction.

• Like Like x 1
  15. julesglass

julesglass graduate

Morning to you. Getting down to the wire, I was excited doing the count down. I came off the meloxicam the week leading up and found the overall OA pain started to increase at day two and it got harder to get around up to surgery. I had planned not to be working that week because I knew from the first hip it would happen. I hope you fair better than I did, just a heads up to what you could experience. Suggest just resting after work, have others do errands if possible. You've got the emerald city is in sight!!!

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. Ptarmigan

Ptarmigan senior

It’s good to be in the countdown @Supersonic and I will be watching for you on the healing side!

I am far more like you than your mom, and have to firmly remind myself there isn’t a “right” or “wrong” way to be/do/have a preop hip. Your mom did it her way; you’re doing it your way. Of course she’s upset over your suffering - of course she tries to “fix it.” She can’t, which hurts her more. I try to find small things for DH and DD to do, because they need to help, and they really appreciate being certain about I want. When they do the laundry (for example), it makes us all feel better.

I would like to give you this quote from Voltaire, “Perfect is the enemy of good,” and Ptarmigan’s corollary, perfect is the enemy of done. Whatever you are trying to wrap up this week, please be very forgiving with yourself. Done is more than good enough and whatever can wait, most definitely should wait.

• Like Like x 3
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2019
  17. CricketHip

CricketHip FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

Oh no,, that's too bad about work.. our poor brains, pain and fatigue makes their mark on us.
    I hope the week passes quickly and that Tylenol and icing helps with your lack of anti inflammatories.
    You are in a holding pattern,, I think it's the hardest part.

Wishing you a peaceful weekend and beginning of your work week. :flwrysmile:

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. mainegirl1

mainegirl1 senior

I hope you don't have to grit your teeth and bear pain.. Tylenol on schedule not to play catchup. Surgeons are so different in their details arent they. I won't be subject to TEDS and I can take Aleve up to 48 hours before surgery. I do believe it has made the last three weeks actually enjoyable..
    But H day rapidly approaches.. have to pack my best boy short underwear.. My friend posted a pic on FB of her partner in jonnycoat on walker in the hall the first day. I don't want my daughter to do the same! So anything to avoid Jonny!

I am kinda excited.. and kinda wondering how the outcome will be. I get the no pain but I hope I can sidle sideways and ride a bike and do lunges eventually.. And do the abduction and adduction machines at the gym.. And tale a real long stride to get across a brook..and have balance. And be able to raise my foot more than three inches off the ground. And not have pain when getting up or being afraid of hip pain. I am still kind of freaked out by surgery.. not waking up though I know I will be in the hands of experts and this isn't my first trip to the joint carpentry lab.
    @Supersonic what are your hopes?

• Friendly Friendly x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  19. mainegirl1

mainegirl1 senior

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Supersonic

Supersonic junior member

Hey hip twin, how's it going? This last week has flown. Managed to work up until thursday despite there being a slew of chest infections at work. Think l didnt dare stop as it would make it real plus work is such a habit to me l found it hard to let go. Then on thurday decided to let myself off the hook.
    I've had my daughter home for the week so have been kept busy. (sitting for too long give me pain l prefer to keep moving until l drop)
    My gait is so waddling now and only meds are keeping me going physically . I miss my anti inflamnatories and I've been using one crutch on the stairs as an extra hand rail as it gets harder each day.

On plus, there's small piles of loose stretchy clothes to pack and l am taking my first bio wash on the morning of the 18th.
    I've got music for the operating theatre if l don't get sedated but l am a wuss so they can wake me when it's over.

I'm raising my bed with individual 5'' piles of books as it's too low. Genius! Everyone says it wont be safe but l'm sure it will.

My hopes are that l can get back to walking further and lose the waddle & extra pounds l've gained. Even 1/4 mile is daunting at the moment.
    I'd like to visit my daughter by train for the weekend next spring. She's based in south west UK where as l'm north west. Maybe take as trip to London too.

I hope to take better care of this hip and not take it for granted.
    Also get back to work which involves bending , standing and assisting. If that 's not possible get a new job, re train again maybe.
    By summer l'd like to go on a beach holiday to Salou in Spain. One of my favourite places.
    I've bought paint to re decorate a few rooms.
    I've also been keeping a list of TV & books to get through.
    It's these goals that are keeping me going.
    How about yourself?
    Are you nervous?
    What have you done to prepare ?
    Do you have support?

• Like Like x 1