THR Supersonic's Post Op Thread

Hi @ Supersonic :xmas-wave-smiley-emoticon:
You're doing great at almost four months post op. May it long continue.
I hope you have a Merry Christmas and a wonderful New Year!

Seasons Greetings !
I'm getting into the spirit of the season. Frankly l've been consumed by the thought of returning to work and doing all the little jobs around the house that you notice when you 're sat in for weeks on end.
I'm enjoying my long weekend with family. The tree is up, Saturday night was a get together so sunday and most of monday is just for relaxing.
Then the real fun begins, finishing of the last few gifts then planning the Christmas feast.
I've going to scoot over to the knee pre op thread because all this extra activity is aggravating my knee opposite to my new hip.
This knee was my orgininal injury at 15yrs of age , which knocked my hips out and the ankle on the same side.
Hopeful l can pick up some tips to prolong the inevitable for as long as possible.
Maybe l over did it last week, my usual shift clocks 5-6000 steps which l did 3 days in a row.
Knees seem trickier than hip joints and my surgeon refused to operate when l went about my knee in my 40s.
Seems they prefer candidates of at least 60 yrs plus.
Anyway I'm looking a remedies f or now
Here we go again !!!.

I had my first knee done at 59 after suffering with it since my mid 40s. I wish I had pushed to find a surgeon who would have done it earlier so I did not have so many years of pain and limited function. Not advising to have surgery right away but sharing my experience.

As l would be relying on the NHS, l doubt they would consider operating until l was 60+ or completely immobile ; which ever was sooner.
I'm considering light support for when it plays up. My knee hasnt prostested so much today but l took ibrufen before my shift.
I know l can't afford my knee op as l dont have insurance or a spare £13000+.
I'm surprised how a slight twinge can get steadily worse over the years to become chronic virtually over night.
Out of my 6 lower joints ( hips knees and ankles ) half have issues!
I think l may end up bionic at this rate !

I have both knees and both hips done now. It seems that genetics plus years of working on hard cement floors (40yrs of hospital floors and some 5 years of restaurants prior) has played havoc with my joints. At least there is technology to make me pain free again.

I hope your preventative/assistive methods will work for you for the years you have to wait.

Sorry that your knee is bothering you so much! Hopefully it is an adjustment period for the new hip.. if it's not I hope you can get some resolution soon.. I wish I had some suggestions for you, other than maybe PT to address the knee pain and see if your body needs help adjusting?
I too, have injuries from long ago returning to haunt me. It's frustrating.

But, on the bright side, your Christmas decorations and plans sound lovely!!

christmas-22.gif

Hi Bonesmarties,
Hope you are all relaxed and ready for next week's festivities.
A week past the 4 month mark and l rarely give my new hip a thought ! That's how good it is. Couldn't have wished for a better early Christmas present.
Sure l can't squat down, or get in the car elegantly but so trivial considering the gains.
I've settled in at work and have to remind myself to take it easy. Theres nothing to prove. Glad l took recovery slowly, as life is now full on.
My surgeon said to look at post op progress at 6 days, 6 weeks, 6 months and 6 years.
Those early weeks are tough but oh so worth it.
Looking forward to the new year

:merry-xmas-smiley-emoticon: to you and yours, great update!

Wishing everyone a late Happy New Year
Hope everyone is recovering from the holidays. I've been back to work for over a month now. It's been busy juggling work and family. But back to normal now with a well earned week off now and the end of January.
Everything is holding up well. Some niggles when l over stretch, often when l forget my new hip is even there. The 90° rule is long forgotten and l wonder if this is why l have the odd ache?
I still haven't got around to cycling but will in the next few weeks. I don't need any strained muscles just now.
I 've stopped doing excercises and think l should. Any thoughts on this ?

@Supersonic glad to hear you're doing okay being back to work. Getting some well earned time off sounds great, enjoy!

I think we all get that off ache here and there, sometimes from overdoing and I think it's sometimes the body reminding us we still have healing to do. With that said you should probably be careful with stretches, make sure you're not forcing them and stop if it hurts. Ice can still help you even at this point in the game. :ice:

As far as exercising goes, I'd say that if you've been cleared by your OS then it's pretty much up to you. Some folks are organized type exercisers and some just figure they do enough in their daily life. Plus when you start cycling again that will surely give you a good workout.

Hi Smarties.
Just thought I'd post as l'm sat in my garden enjoying the sun in what will probably be almost the end of lockdown in the UK.

I had my THR on my right hip Aug 2019. I barely give it a thought. I went back to work as a Senior Healthcare Assistant in Dec 2019 and who knew what lay ahead.
The home l work sadly in lost a quarter of our residents thats 10 people over 6 weeks. All in their 90s. We as team comforted them, passed on the final messages when their families asked us to. Made them comfortable. They would not have survived a trip to hospital nevermind being incubated.
It is humbling to think decisions are made daily about who lives and who gets what.

Looking back, yes we were ill prepared, yes we didn't fully understand what was happening but we stuck to our infection control training and definitely saved more lives.
We got through it and personally l didn't get it.
Although around Easter, April 12th, l had a bout of hayfever., due to tree pollen. Not enough to knock me off my feet but l now suspect an anti- body test for Covid19 might come back positive. Staff were isolating and dropping like flies due to stress and suspect symptoms. Half of which we didnt understand. All of us were looking for a 'cough' and 'fever' we now understand Covid19 can be much more varied than that.

I never once thought about my hip, in fact l gained weight as l self comforted with food and was cared for with food packages from family, friends and businesses that dropped off all sorts of treats at my place of work. I will lose the extra weight because although minor in the scheme of things, it will help my range of movement and ultimately mobility

I'm not sure there's a lesson here or a moral. Just that if you are waiting for your new hip or surgery it will happen and it will be life changing. Embrace your life whatever the circumstance because none of us know what's around the corner.

@Supersonic Big respect for you as a healthcare worker on the front line. All this is traumatic for everyone. I can't even begin to imagine what being in the middle of it all must be like. Humbling indeed!

Thanks for taking the time to update us. So glad that hip is behaving! Stay safe and well!

Hello @Supersonic
Your touching update was an emotional view through the eyes of a caregiver to those who fell victim of this horrible pandemic. I’m sorry for the loss you experienced. Thank you for all you’ve done to comfort the ill and support their helpless loved ones. I’m sure you must feel drained...exhausted. Hopefully you can catch up on some well deserved R&R. Thankfully your hip is serving you well. May each day be brighter than the last. :SUNsmile:
Hugs

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie
Recent bookmarks