THR Supersonic's Post Op Thread

@Supersonic So sorry your bath was rushed. I was wondering if I should take out my tub and just go for a shower, and I am so encouraged by you. I am still in the pre-op stage. I am glad you found some trousers to accommodate the swelling as it leaves you.
I have seen the Bonesmart area for photos of scars and some are still quite swollen when they took their photo.
For two and a half months you sound like you doing well, getting out and about a bit.
A bonfire sounds like fun. Is it a way to clean up yard debris? Clearly I am a novice about bonfires.
Enjoy your weekend!

Hi V SlowLife
The bonfire is annual thing in the UK in remembrance of Guy Fawkes who tried to blow up parliament on 5th Nov 1605.
Lots of fire works burning of effigies ( maybe not so many nowadays lol).
People used to clear their rubbish and have back garden fires. Very foi d memories as a kid of family get togethers, a fire, sausages, foil baked potatoes and family. Alas health & safety discourage home bonfires so there are usually plenty of community bonfires to choose from through out november.
It's now tagged onto Halloween which is getting bigger every year in the UK.
I am doing well, if l say so myself. Cant believe how well l've healed.
My body clearly tells me what l can and can't tolerate for example I'm no longer able to wear my silver rings since my new hip. Might not be related but have developed an allergy to silver. Start to blister within hours of putting them on.
I also have a dentist check tomoro so l have to tell them about by new hip incase l need treatment.
Had a good weekend. Hope you did too !

@Supersonic Thank you for that explanation of the history. I feel a little more worldly! Sounds like a very good time is had by all. Did you manage to go?
In my youth, we could make huge piles of leaves and burn them, and we would roast potatoes in the fire, too!
I am very glad to hear you are healing so well before the three month mark. That is wonderful!
Maybe the allergy could be temporary? I hope so. Perhaps the advisors have some information about that.
We had a bright sunny weekend with crisp air after a few days of rain, thank you. It was nice to get out of the house for a bit. We changed time to daylight savings, so that will be a bit of an adjustment. My dog wants his food an hour early.
Be well!

Well it just goes to show, I'm not quite out of the woods yet. Woke up stiff and hobbling today. Much more pain than usual. Think l've slept soundly but ouch.
Sitting here icing, elevating and feeling sorry for myself.
I've taken 2 paracetamol and I'm hoping it will wear off soon.Don't think lve done anything to join the ODIC.
I'm back to work in 13 days too !!

:console2:So Sorry you are having a dumpy day.
Sometimes it's hard to tell what puts us in time out, but I'm glad you are resting...
It can definitely be a dance.
Often we don't know we've pushed it a bit too much until we stop. It was like this for me and it was often trial and error on how much was too much.
Here's my favorite recovery chart.
Recovery chart drawn.jpg

Healing hugsxxx

Hello @Supersonic
You'll have those days....sorry you're feeling stiff and struggling with some discomfort. Rest up, since you still have some time off. Fingers crossed you feel better soon. I'm betting you will. :yes:
Wishing you comfort and a peaceful evening.

I hit the 3 month, post op day tomorrow !!
Yippee!!
I rarely think what l should or shouldn't be doing anymore. I just get on with life. I've gained a few extra pounds as lm still not as active as my pre op self.
I need to look into some daily maintainance excercises that l will actually enjoy and keep doing.
It's been so long just existing and doing what l'm able to that l've forgotten what it is to have a passion for movement.
1 more official week off work, they've bombarded me with e-learning to keep me up to date eurgh ! Mind numbing lol but essential to meet legal requirements .
There was talk of an extra two weeks off to use some if my statutory leave, there's no rush on my part to be honest. Quite enjoying my life as a lady of leisure

Great Update:egypdance:@Supersonic
I need to look into some daily maintainance excercises that l will actually enjoy and keep doing.
It's been so long just existing and doing what l'm able to that l've forgotten what it is to have a passion for movement.

I have been through a PT protocol to sort out my SI joint and when I quizzed him about getting onto some more disciplined exercise (need to drop a few pounds) my wonderful therapist really feels like power walking/walking is a much overlooked form of exercise.
He agrees jogging and running can be hard on the joints and I think I can get some all weather garb and commit to it.
Enjoy your last week off and So Happy to hear that you are getting back to life.:yahoo:

Happy Three Month Anniversary!
I hope you're doing well and have a lovely last week off before returning to work.

I love the artists rendering of the memorial sentiment you posted above....so beautiful! Thanks for sharing. :)
@Supersonic

Feeling very guilty, yesterday l went on a small walk, today l've pretty much sat on the couch ALL day.
I'm getting twinges and my legs feel so stiff.
I go back to work on 2/12 so l will have been post op and off work for 15 weeks.
I just don't seem to be able to motivate myself to be active. The bad weather doesn't help.
There's always tomorrow, will try not to join the ODIC!

I found, after I returned to work that I felt more motivated for all other activities, too. Ok, maybe not the first couple of weeks, then I was just tired.
Then it all seem to click back into doing more outside of work, too.
But I totally get what you're saying.

Happy Thanksgiving! That's something fun to look forward to. I hope to walk more over the long holiday weekend.

:sigh: At this point in recovery, it seems some every day movement keeps the stiffness away. On bad days I walked circles around my house and even went mall shopping...which I detest normally.
Too much walking = Stiffness
Not enough walking = Stiffness
Having hips replaced = Stiffness

It will get better, but easy does it moving g about is better than getting too sedentary.
What a dance!
Hope today is a good day.

I've just been on a brisk 25 min walk that has blown a few cobwebs away. Weather was dismal but who was it that said ' There is no bad weather just bad clothing'.
I really dont know why I'm stressing, in a week or two l will be rushed off my feet with Final Christmas preparations anyway

You are doing just great...I'm not a cold weather fan either!
Guess I need to do some clothes shopping too.

Well l've been back at work for a week after 15 weeks off. Can't believe the difference. What a miraculous operation THR is.
It really has given me back mobility.
I'm still not as strong or flexible as l would like but at nearly 4 months post op there maybe more gains to come.
I can't believe looking back, l ever had doubts or how long the anxious wait seemed.
My opposite knee, hip and ankle are still adjusting but still would do it again in a heart beat.

I understand just how you are feeling! It's so unbelievable..things that were so painful aren't any longer. I walked the hallways at my work place with a goofy grin on my face for the longest time.

I'm still not as strong or flexible as l would like but at nearly 4 months post op there maybe more gains to come.

Absolutely there are improvements yet to come! They continue to be thrilling, too. At least htey were and are for me. Glad you are reaping the benefits now.. congrats!

I get that Cricket hips, l found myself actually strutting the other day lol
I was always fit and healthy and found great joy in my body confidence. Losing it was a blow and almost like me having to accept that l was ageing.
Well I'm no younger but it does feel like l've been gifted another decade or more:dancy::egypdance::spin::yes:
Which is great ! I'm at the point where my hippy twin @Mainegirl was fairly soon after her op.
I want holidays, travel, adventure and to much more ! Time must mot be wasted.

:yes!:Great to hear how great you feel, hippy friend.:happydance:
I know hip replacement recovery is not easy, but so worth it....and so much easier than Trying to live with chronic pain and ever diminishing mobility.
Hope you do all you want to do!!!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie
Recent bookmarks