THR Supersonic's Post Op Thread

@Supersonic hang in there, you'll be able to take a bubble bath before too long and by then when it's really cold it will feel even better! :bath:. I just finally got the courage to take one about two weeks ago. Just made sure to be very careful getting in and out but it wasn't that bad.

Why not tub if you have a non slip mat?
Of course I am guessing you have already gotten off the floor which is sort of the precursor to the tub
I am in our hot tub.
Frankly at this stage our heads are the impediment. mind games can really slay us. I went down a set of rocks yesterday and was so apprehensive but I did it!
The fear of falling can take a terrible toll on our minds. Stairs still give me pause though I CAN go down without unsteadiness nor a handrail.
Of course I am not in your tub er shoes! Has your OS cautioned you to beware of dislocation at this time? I don't remember what approach you had nor if you were given a schedule of restrictions.

Just trying to prod you a little. Feel free to ignore me as its entirely your hip and your tub!:bath:

Hi ladies

Been told to abandon all aids, and l do except for the cane on the stairs first thing in the morning and lasting thing at pm. I'm foot over foot of a fashion.
The bath conundrum occupies me more than it should.
I can lower down as l have good upper body strength. With my leg out stretched and still keep my hip at a reasonable angle.
Getting out the tub involves turning onto my side and l 'm worried that the un-op side won't have a cushion between my knees like in bed, (as pre 3 months thats still a risk and probably a tight squeeze too! ) and the op side on a hard bath will just hurt and I'm not particularly skinny either.
Then using my arm l somehow have to flip onto my knees and haul up from there. Keeping a op leg and hip angle as near to 90° as possible
Might try a 'dry' run before hand.

I'm glad my doctor is taking my return to work seriously. She has just recommended another 4 weeks off, taking it to 13 weeks.
Its longer than l want but work want me 'fit for purpose and more importantly safe for the residents .
( l work in a residential home, some nursing as well)
With a further 2 weeks annual leave - work want it used up and a phased return , I'm looking at 17 weeks. It seems so long and frankly I'm missing work right now. Even though it's only an extra week. AIBU ? Yes l know l am. I will just try to enjoy it

:sad:

Got it. I probably had a different approach than you and never had to sleep with cushion between legs. It was comfortable till it wasn't ( about a month in) and I have been sleeping on the incision for five weeks. And pretty much from six months in I have folded in half to stretch hamstrings. So that is that.

Yes I would try a dry run with a stepstool or settee nearby first. On carpet. I actually am kayaking and have been doing the ungainly roll to your stomach and get on knees ( seems to be close but not under 90 degrees and push up.
However a kayak is not as slick as a tub.

Dear @mainegirl1 you are clearly exceptional and very determined not to waste another second to your joints.
I am very much a scaredy cat and do things by the book. The slightest wince and l ease off at the moment.
Plus l have 3 ligaments instead of 4 in my left knee opposite my new hip. So it's not as strong or flexible as it should be.
It's an injury l've had since 15, but the as yet the surgeons have declined to fix it. Hence l can't rely on it as much as l should.
The tub can wait.

The other difference is you are 21 years younger than me. I cannot afford to be avoiding doing things out of fear as the coffin is pretty close now.
I notice that among forum participants I am in the longer in the tooth group! And none of us is getting out alive.
A funny story. My husband had a "bad knee" that would lock up during at inopportune times. He fell skiing and hurt his ACL. During testing x rays or MRI ( I forget what) found a foreign object in his left knee and then a few days later before surgery they couldn't find it on x ray. They took many views. It had moved!
Turned out it was a calcified Posterior collateral ligament rolled up into a marble. He was told that PCL's get torn as a result of a collision. The last eligible collision he had was in 1959. The PCL calcified was removed in 2004. I brought it home for showing the kids as in "EEEW"

He never even knew he had spent over 40 years with an incomplete set of knee ligaments. And was a downhill skier to boot. His knee is now much happier with that errant fossil ligament gone

Happy Two Month Anniversary!
I hope you have a beautiful weekend way over yonder across the pond.
Pretty Autumn days here, hope you're experiencing some too,
Until next time....all the best to you!
@Supersonic

Wow, fancy having a fossilized ACL. I''ve seen mine on xray occassionally it gets ' caught' and is a bit awkward. The knee weakness was my first injury, personally think it's responsible for my new hip!
Surgeon refused to fix it and l couldn't warrant/afford private surgery.
It is annoying and l did cry ( l was about 30 at the time and would get a swollen knee every so often)
Love your coffin humour mainegirl! I often think as l sit around watching too much tv that I'm wasting my life.
Could definitely do with a dose of your get up and go :dancy:
It's just so wet and drab right now. I need someone who likes walking in the rain too.

@Supersonic I would offer you a dog . Buddy loves bad weather.
But he gets motion sickness and it is a wee far away!
Hope you see a rainbow soon!
I have been bad at exercising
We drove all over the state taking leaf pictures and I am processing 250 of them and fumbling around in Photoshop
Must must bike today!

Week 9 Post Op

Rarely think about what l should or shouldn't do now Oh and did l mention the numbness (barring the tub ) Feel like l want to stretch in ways that l am too inflexible to.
I would like to see the sole of my foot and give it a good scratch.
I still feel quite numb after walking or excercises and in the evening. Probably due to slouching/sitting when l get tired.
l rarely take meds now. The downside being l'm sleeping badly, no one position is comfortable. But as I'm not at work for the next 4- 6 weeks thats not an issue at the moment.
Did l mention numbness ? Hope that it's fades eventually.
On a positive so glad to have lost the hippie waddle !

Hi @Supersonic
Don't stretch it too much.
I thought at 4 months some of the numbness could be collateral damage...it dissipated more and more until finally, not sure when exactly as I was kind of getting oblivious and I noticed...hey, all feels normal.
There is evidence some have residual numbness ..but I would have taken the numbness over chronic hip pain any day!!!
Still early days, dear @Supersonic
Keep the faith.

Hi All,
Feeling achy today, think it's all down to expanding my ROM. I don't walk particularly far, l haven't really stretched myself distance wise. But l am bending and stretching as l go about my day ( mainly deep cleaning up the back log from the last few months)
At nearly 11 weeks l've ditched all the blocks, meds and aids but l'm shuffling indoors but not out funnily enough.
I've taken two lovely bubble baths and sleep however l like - feels silly listing everyday things as achievements but they truly are as any one who's had hip surgery will appreciate.
Going up and down stairs is still clumsy but l do the best l can.
Can't believe l will be back at work in just over 2 weeks.
They given me loads of online courses that l has studiously ignored !
Haven't got on my bike or swam yet but, l will be at 12 weeks.
Meanwhile might take some pills to help with the strange sensations on the operated side.

It is amazing how much stuff ends on the floor that does not belong there. Hubby does not notice it!
Going down is OK for me and I am trying to be quick about it without a death grip on the handrail. Honestly I don't know what I am scared of. Going up is fine for several steps but after ten my op leg is weak.. and then i resort back to toddler step.

Bending and stretching is good.. I was envying a woman probably older than me in the market today. She had to tie her shoe and she brought her foot up to near waist level as there was a basket on the cart about that level. I am jealous!

@supersoonic What grabbed my attention is that you took two bubble baths! I was wondering about doing that and when it could be done.
Deep cleaning sounds like a sure indication you are feeling better!

@supersoonic What grabbed my attention is that you took two bubble baths! I was wondering about doing that and when it could be done.
Deep cleaning sounds like a sure indication you are feeling better!
Probably when you are comfortable getting out or the help you need does not involve yhe rescue squad!

feels silly listing everyday things as achievements but they truly are as any one who's had hip surgery will appreciate.
Yes ma'am! It IS the little things I stil appreciate.
Going up and down stairs is still clumsy but l do the best l can.
Was very much like that for me up until 3 months or more.
Yes...I was double hippy recovering...but doesnt sound unusual.

Hello and Happy Friday to you!

I think you sound like most of us at this point of the journey - NORMAL :yes:
You're doing great! Keep it up and enjoy the weekend!
@Supersonic

@Supersonic you hip is on its own timetable but I want to share the exhiliration I felt when I rode my bike for the first time and also swam the first time ( today). I expected something to hurt. When nothing hurt but all felt pretty strong and willing I wanted to shout! May you in the near future have a similar wonderful experience

The bubble baths weren't as exciting as I'd hoped @VSlowLife . The first was short as my son decided he needed the shower pronto ! The second was more relaxing and a proper pamper. l think the point was just knowing l can get in and out the tub if l want to. Which is nice in this chilly weather.
I had a nice wander around an indoor shopping centre yesterday, with no pain at All! I got some new trousers to accommodate my hip which was 2 inches bigger but is now only 1.5 inches bigger so I'm hopeful it will go down fully. I do wear tight skinnier usually but they were just too uncomfortable and my stretchy clothes remind me of my early weeks of recovery.
Full house this weekend, which is lovely. Daughter and her boyfriend. Thankfully not too much cooking as they will come and go. Which suits me.
It's the annual bonfire too, parking is almost impossible and it might be too much to walk and stand for 2-3 hours. I will see how l feel.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom