THR Supersonic's Post Op Thread

Hello :wave:
After hearing so many of these stories on the forum of supposed "well meaning" friends reminding us of those who were climbing mountains and leaping tall buildings in a single bound after two weeks, I'm less inclined to generously view them as well meaning but instead as ignorant. How do they find these comments helpful is my question? They're basically saying you're not making the mark. Please understand that I'm speaking in general, not just referencing the instances you've mentioned.

I think you have a healthy attitude in regard to it all and not worried you'll overdo and be sidelined in the ODIC. It sounds like you can take the time you need from work, which is a blessing since all aren't as lucky.
Have a terrific Tuesday!
@Supersonic

@Supersonic Glad you are keeping yourself comfortable in some super stretchy clothes. When I was recovering from spine surgery I had what I called “gym teacher” matching top and bottom sets, almost velour type fabric, and wore sneakers, to be as relaxed and comfortable as possible, while I healed. If I lose more weight, my present exercise pants may have enough room to accommodate swelling. I have lost some weight, and hope to lose a bit more before surgery, which I think is what you did.

Glad to hear that you are ignoring all the stories about miracle recoveries and feats of daring-do. I had good recoveries but I did not feats of daring do just slow progress with plenty of rest and practice rebuilding muscle and movement. I thought that was fantastic as well as having the awful pain gone.

You are being very wise.

Hi @VSlowLife
I'm not due another THR just yet ! Definitely at some time in the not too distant future. No point in struggling for years like l did the first time. I can well understand folk that have their second hip done soon after the first. But mine is good for now.
The Malta trip was booked in January 2019, l was told a THR was the best option in Feb 2019 hence hanging around waiting.
Here in UK if you are an NHS ( 'free' but paid via mandatory contributions) patient you go on a waiting list and are called in anywhere from 6 months plus with 2 weeks notice.
Private patients have the luxury of choosing the date for their operation but pay an additional £15000 unless they have a health plan plus the mandatory contribution. If l had needed to wait 3yrs as my Grandma did over 40 yrs ago. I would have struggled to the point of immobility.
A 8 month wait was worth it so far.

Hi @Supersonic
I am sorry, it sounded to me like you might be getting the other one soon.
I agree, I am not waiting so long for the second hip, and it has screamed at me a few times. I had the surgeon evaluate it, too. It’s not ready, restricted, but he wants it more restricted.
I did not know folks in Britain could have a health plan beyond the NHS. I did know about private pay, from a cousin of mine who lives over there. Private pay is quite a bit, but still more reasonable compared to the USA.
Your poor grandmother! That was a long wait!
Yes, the 8 month wait results seem to be working very well for you, taking good care of you.
I hope soon you will be able to enjoy Malta. My table mates on my Mediterranean cruise were all from Britain and had served in WWII. This was their last cruise together because they told me after 85 it is not possible to get trip insurance. They gave me quite the education about Malta and their service in WWII, both the men and the women. This cruise was a while back.

Malta is a beautiful island, very historic in many many ways. Looking forward to returning at some point. I wonder if my new hip will impact future holiday insurance ...just a thought.

Met up with my friend Lisa yesterday for lunch and walked there and back and now I've joined the IODIC :loll:
Also because l got impatient to get things done. Got down on all fours and removed bed raisers. Ouchy it feels like it did in the early weeks as if there's a hard ball in my hip.
Muscles are protesting.
I have been using my little cane so obviously less support than a full arm crutch .
I'm going up and down stairs foot over foot too, resting on my side in bed. Not sleeping again. It's lots of 'new' things now l look at what l've written. Hard to go back to precautions or more meds. Just need to be sensible.
But scared of seizing up yet don't want to work through the pain as is sometimes suggested.
Any suggestions ?

Why is this turning into a roller coaster recovery ?

That is a good question about travel medical insurance. I suppose one would look at the capabilities of the hospital(s) in Malta. I think one of the most expensive things is to be flown by emergency air ambulance. It happened on one of my cruises. There was no helipad on the ship and we had to turn back to where we left so a helicopter could take a heart attack patient.
Although you are in the IODIC, I think you felt wonderful doing what you did.
I can’t speak for a THR IODIC solution just yet, but my present IODIC is often an epsom salt bath, or heat.

Aaaw... sorry you are struggling.
I felt much the same at 2 months...
Also because l got impatient to get things done. Got down on all fours and removed bed raisers. Ouchy it feels like it did in the early weeks as if there's a hard ball in my hip.
:no-fin: Less than two months OUT of MAJOR surgery....still early days sweet @Supersonic
But scared of seizing up yet don't want to work through the pain as is sometimes suggested.
You are going to feel stiff and tight for a while longer...especially when you stop.
Most especially when you overdo.

Why is this turning into a roller coaster recovery
Just because... or at least it was for me.
Rest a bit more than doing...short walks more often instead of longer walks.
Your body will get back in sync.
It's been through quite a transformation but it will adjust.:yes::friends:Keep the faith...hugsxxx

Thank you ladies,
Gosh, that cruise sounds like a never to be forgotten holiday for all the wrong reasons. Hope the patient recovered.
There are good medical facilities in the EU. Though you can't have failed to hear of Brexit ( head in hands !) So not sure yet how medical care will be affected.
Previously Brits have just turned up at med centres, presented our EHICard amd been treated.
A hot bath sounds wonderful, lowering myself down would be ok - not sure about getting out though!
Its back to the cane and shorter walks for now.

You are going to get there, my hippy pal. :friends:
Even with slow and steady improvement, I think the 4 month mark was my Eureka, I think this is all going to be okay.:happydance:
Layla has a great tip about relaxing and marking progress on the weekends...weekly vs daily.
Since one day can seem good and the next ...not so much.
All normal. And all temporary!:ok:
Hope today is a good day. :flwrysmile:

It was still a good cruise, and it just took 3 hours out of our itinerary. You have to think, if it happened to you, you would hope everyone would understand how important it was to get the best medical care. Cruises have their adventures, especially in rough seas. Missed ports,sea sickness, listing ship and trying to walk, all to be taken with a grain of salt. Makes you begin to appreciate what it must have been like in centuries past.
Yes, Supersonic, across the pond some of us have our heads in our hands for other reasons, which I am sure you have heard about, too. Yes, to travel in the EU, one would think you need some agreed understanding, if Brexit ever gets negotiated, if you have a medical emergency. Another reason, I guess, why having a negotiated exit is important.
Good to know you feel comfortable getting into a tub, and hopefully you will feel comfortable getting out of the tub, one day soon. @Mojo333 has a great graphic about expectations vs how recovery really happens.
Sometimes a heating pad is my friend, but I do not know if that is an appropriate tool after hip surgery.

Recovery chart drawn.jpg

It's my favorite!
Here's your very own @Supersonic :) :-) (:

Oh...it's a given we're stealing that one @ceezee!
That's going in my Macros today :)

Hello @Supersonic
I'm sorry to hear you're in the ODIC. Hopefully the time spent with your friend, Lisa, made this minor setback bearable and you're feeling better today. At not even two months post op you have a lot of healing yet to happen. Take is slow and realize you're still early in recovery. Here's another good line -

"Look upon this operation as an investment in your future.
Look after it now and it will serve you well for years to come." :curtsey:Not my line. But I'll take a bow anyway. It's realistic commentary from from another member's OS.

Have a great Thursday!

:wave:
Hope things are leveling off and you are keeping that patience muscle flexed.
Almost two months...can be a bit frustrating time
Recovery gets Old by this point :bored:
Well worth it...really.
Hugs and hope you pop in with an update.

Oh my ! Recovery is extremely 'Old' Ha!
I forget and go to do things then remember, hold on lady, don't run just yet.

I lay in bed today planning how l could get myself in and out the tub unaided. A long hot soak, with my favourite bubble bath...lovely.
I was that determined but realised last minute maybe not such a good idea lol

Instead l walked to the post office to return a parcel (v light) and for the first time l didn't take my cane, so way hey.
So that felt like a huge mile stone.
Ok l feel stiff but it's getting colder and I'm looking at hot water bottles instead of ice to put on my stiff muscles.
Any thoughts ?

I am glad you felt like you had a milestone yesterday, going to the post office.
Every little improvement is so good for the spirit.
Maybe give your OS office a call regarding the tub and see what they think?

Hi V SlowLife, I've found one article with pictures that shows you how to do it ( get in/ out the bath safely) I'm in no rush, not about to risk my new hip.
I just really enjoy a soak and pamper and it's something l will miss.
I don't particularly want a walk in tub either- too expensive.
I'll figure it out.

@ceezee Yes I get the irony!

@Supersonic A friend installed a walk-in tub, and found out it is a long wait in your birthday suit for it to fill. She ended up adding a shower head.

I, too, like a good soak in the chilly weather. In my mind a picture is one thing, but having the muscles and movement to do it well, without dislocating is another.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
All2Gd88
Recent bookmarks

Latest posts