• RATE YOUR SURGEON ON OUR NEW JOINT SURGEON LOCATOR

Your opinion matters so please click on this announcement to find out how to rate the surgeons you have worked with

You could also go to the Surgeon Locator via the blue nav bar at the top - find the tab "Surgeon Locator"

[THR] Supersonic's Post Op Thread

SurreyGirl

post-grad
Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
@Supersonic Hi! and greetings from the UK South Branch! I really did overdid it during the first weeks of recovery and would be a lot more careful next time. Thanks for your comments about snow. Let us hope the "Beast from the East" is a Daily-Mail myth this year. That said, I have just looked out for my shoe chains which really help me in snowy/icy weather. They just stretch onto my sneakers.. After a years' recovery I really do not want to slip up. In the meantime, the Autumn to enjoy as you said! Best wishes for a good recovery.

mainegirl1

graduate
Country
United States United States
@Supersonic
Not that much prep Just moving outside furniture in or covering it
Attaching heating cable to roof
Snow tires on
Making sure snowplow guy is still in business
We dont stock the larder for weeks
Typically we are plowed out within 30 minutes
We have a whole house generator for power outages and a safe winter entrance
The snowbrushes live in the cars year round

Layla

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
Hi @Supersonic :hi:
I think the rationed use mentality feelings will wear off for sure. At 26 months post op I'm by no means careless and still think about my hip everyday, but not as often as I did early on. At times I'll catch myself moving in a certain way and wonder if I should have been more cautious. I look at it this way....I'm not going to engage in activities that I know cause extra wear, but I'm not going to sit on the sidelines either.

Good for you on getting in a little retail therapy. A great mood booster for sure. :wink:
Enjoy the rest of the week!

OP
OP
Supersonic

Supersonic

Country
Had a shower today which was great. Small milestone but felt great.
Feeling a bit hemmed in though family all busy so trying to enjoy the peace.
Work is such a big part of my life it can give a false sense of 'busyness'

Not to worry hopefully l'll be back soon as l'm ready.

I've commited to cook a meal tomorrow afternoon so that should be good.
Meanwhile must try to r- e-l-a-x. Lol

CricketHip

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
Hi @Supersonic, you sound like mentally you've settled yourself into a rhythm and are doing well. There is nothing like a good shower to start your recovery day, is there?
You've committed to cook tomorrow, haha I recall that I did that and then couldn't do it.. had a bad night or something. I hope your plans materialize better for you! I wonder what you will be rustling up?
:flwrysmile:

Layla

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
:hi: @Supersonic
First showers do feel great...no doubt about it! I hope you're able to easily relax today and get some restorative rest. Enjoy cooking the meal tomorrow. Let us know how it goes.
Happy Saturday!

OP
OP
Supersonic

Supersonic

Country
Well family wanted to 'save' me the trouble of cooking on sunday by buying a curry on saturday night !
Was famished by the time it arrived so scoffed loads lol

Still cooked on sunday though, threw chicken and gammon in the oven plus trimmings - all very easy really.
Good to be eating my home cooked food for a changed despite bei g fed left right and centre.
Lots of left over too.

Hip/ bum felt a bit numb today and ankles are very swollen despite elevating all afternoon.
Cutting day meds down as recommended and went for a stroll after tea in the dark.
On the up side have been crutchless around my tiny kitchen.
Maybe l've done too much ? still only at 4 week mark tomorrow.
Scars looking better and gaining ROM every day.
All in all a good weekend.
Hope everyone has enjoyed their weekend too!

P.S My mum was very annoyed I'd showered without a chaperone. Was a bit silly and chickened out today :heehee:

OP
OP
Supersonic

Supersonic

Country
DRY MOUTH
Forgot to ask if anyone has any solutions to chronic dry mouth ?
Wake up most mornings, dry right down to my throat it's horrid and quite scary too.
Despite water by the bedside.

Layla

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
Hello, sorry you're suffering with dry mouth. Wondering if it's a med you're on....IF you're still taking any....
Only suggestion I'd make is keeping water bedside and taking a sip each time you wake. I know another member
@bickypeg suffered with this. Possibly she'll have some advice as to what helped her.

On a much lighter note...
Happy One Month Anniversary!
I hope you have a great day and weekend as you continue the journey. :walking:
@Supersonic

bickypeg

graduate
Country
Oh indeed @Supersonic I'm unfortunately something of an expert. Woke a few times early on with my tongue sticking to the roof of my mouth. It's truly horrible. It could be :
Opiates like codeine
Anti inflammatories
Sleeping on your back
Drinking too much tea and esp coffee
Spicy food (oh no!)
Mouthwash with alcohol
Actually there's a long list of food most likely to cause xerostomia if you google.
I was so fed up I rang the dentist who suggested an artificial saliva spray called AS saliva orthana which I keep by the bed, also a small flat bottomed flask of water which I can slurp almost in my sleep now. Also I take up a small flask of camomile tea if I want a warm drink as it's supposed to relieve stress.
Also try chewing gum or sugar free sweets/candies during the day. And lots of water. I found that cancer websites (no you havent got it!) have lots of useful tips as it can be a side effect of radiotherapy. Nor have you got diabetes nor Sjogrens syndrome.
@Layla suggested a humidifier in the bedroom, it never seemed to help me but it may not have been big enough for the room.
Mine is still there at night occasionally and I've learned to live with it and try not to worry too much. I have also changed to a gentler toothpaste.
It's very early days for you. I'm sure it will soon pass. Hope this helps.

RinTinTin

Country
Canada Canada
DRY MOUTH
Forgot to ask if anyone has any solutions to chronic dry mouth ?
Wake up most mornings, dry right down to my throat it's horrid and quite scary too.
Despite water by the bedside.
hi @Supersonic ...
I know what you are talking about and the reason is so simple... it's from snoring...cause you are deeply asleep on your back. Your mouth opens and you breathe and exhale through your mouth causing the dryness.
I know... it's a bad feeling but take a sip or two of water... and back to your sleep
:)

OP
OP
Supersonic

Supersonic

Country
Thank you for your suggestions. Thought it might be meds/ back sleeping related. I'm usually a side tummy sleeper.
Hopefully will go once l'm back to normal.
In the mean time will try some of your suggestions. Thanks :thankyou:

Layla

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
Hello @Supersonic
I'll bet it goes back to normal eventually.
Hopefully you find a solution through one of the suggestions
Good Luck and enjoy the weekend!

OP
OP
Supersonic

Supersonic

Country
HAVING ANOTHER LITTLE WHINGE IN A SAFE PLACE

Thank you Layla
It's a quiet weekend for me, daughter has drifted off for a few week. Knowing l can pretty much do most things now and will survive without her constant attention. Rest of family getting on with life quite rightly.
I think it must get tiring for our carers, fatigue is setting in and l'm getting,
' When will you drop the crutch/ crutches ?When will you be back to normal? When are you go back to work ? When can we go on a shoppingtrip to Manchester?'

Its been 5 weeks lol and they just want the old me back.

Anyway, l've done a few 20 minute walks as advised but frankly 2 crutches hurts my arms but l'm not confident to drop to 1 crutch outside until after my 6 week check.
I'm alternating this with the PT excercises the hospital gave me.
Abductions and abbuctions still leave me feeling stiff.
There is very little muscle in that area so l am building from scratch.
This morning it feels like the Acetabular cup ( looked that up!) has shifted. Is that even possible?

In my first meeting with OS he said he wouldn't cement but it's not been mentioned again. And being an excessive worrier l think it might have moved and started to heal in the wrong place.
Even though l know it's probably been wedged in tight.
Also my physio said new hip will have been 'put through it's paces' in operating theatre.
The only pain l have and l use the term lightly is the sensation of tightness along the scar muscles under it.
Thankful for this site where l can off load as frankly family though well meaning with advice to move more, think l should have a grip on this by now.:tiredwheel:

OP
OP
Supersonic

Supersonic

Country
Hi Jaycey,
Yes it is unlikely. Doc Google bring
s out the worst of my hypochondria

I am 'meant' to be doing 20 - 30 mins twice a day according to hospital literature. No way can l do that everyday just yet.
Will see at my 6 week check (4th Oct) what OS recommends.
Meanwhile 2 x10-16 mins feels about right. Given that l've reduced my meds in a controlled way and don't want to back track unnecessarily.
Still on 2 crutches as l liste to my good side. Going for style over distance right now !

Mojo333

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
:hi: Dr. Google IS stress inducing.:sigh:
I am 'meant' to be doing 20 - 30 mins twice a day according to hospital literature.
Please don't let this concern you.
The protocols are often very generic but cannot possibly take into account your individual preop issues and rate of healing.
The exercises really are not necessary, as Jaycey said.
One month out is primetime for cabin fever and "is this normal" fears.
Lots of improvement yet to come and Slow and Steady is the way to get there!
Going for style over distance right now !
:)
I love this.
Hope today is a good day:loveshwr:

OP
OP
Supersonic

Supersonic

Country
Cabin fever is real !
Weekend has taken a turn for the better though after last night when cat swallowed a mouse whole eurgh !!
Earlier went out for impromptu family meal - had an alcoholic drink too tut tut
Today going to a wedding fayre with my sister who is having a casual second marriage in May. A big evening event as she has lots of friends & colleagues as well as family.
Not my usual thing but anything to get out and about especially as weather is dismal - grey and wet so just the frivolity to lift ones spirits !

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Stuckn
Recent bookmarks

Trending hash tags