BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Joint Replacement Patient Advocacy
and Online Community
  1. Announcing BoneSmart's NEW Joint Surgeon Locator tool

We are pleased to now offer a tool to help you find just the right surgeon for your needs. If your surgeon is not listed, please let us know and we'll get them added.

Read more about this in this announcement:

Dismiss Notice

[THR] Supersonic's Post Op Thread

Discussion in 'Hip Replacement Recovery Area' started by Supersonic, Aug 19, 2019.

1. Celle

Celle FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

New Zealand New Zealand
    Hi @Supersonic , since you haven't had your clips out yet, it does seem a bit soon to be cutting down on your medications.

You do need to do it gradually and you'll need to keep a record of the times and the doses that you take. In other words, be organised about it.

When the time comes to wean off pain medications, this is what Jamie suggested:

Here is a suggested schedule for cutting back on prescription pain medications. Stay at each level for 3-4 days or even longer if you notice the pain symptoms increasing. This schedule assumes you are starting with one pill every 4 hours before beginning the reduction process.

1 pill every 6 hours and 2 at bedtime
    1 pill every 6 hours and 1 1/2 at bedtime
    1/2 pill every 4 hours and 1 1/2 at bedtime
    1/2 pill every 6 hours and 1 1/2 at bedtime
    1/2 pill every 8 hours and 1 1/2 at bedtime
    1/2 pill every 8 hours and 1 at bedtime
    1 pill if you are really doing something active during the day and 1 at bedtime

It is usually better to wean off these meds over several weeks, not several days. But.....if you are still having pain, then your body is healing and you still need pain relief. And in this case, I would discuss your pain management with your GP instead of your surgeon.

• Like Like x 2
  2. Supersonic

Supersonic junior member

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Thank you, l am 4 hourly so this will work perfectly. By 1 pill l am going to take that as being 1 dose.
    I had fairly heavy meds pre op so l could continue to work. I don't regret taking so many as keeping active up to the 11th hour is helping my recover.
    Feeling much better today. I've set alarms on my phone so if l snooze l will wake up ! :flwrysmile:

• Like Like x 2
  3. Layla

Layla FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

United States United States
    Happy Saturday!
    Wishing you the best as you phase off the narcotics. I hope the uncomfortable symptoms ease soon.
    Thankfully you dont have any pain in your hip area and you're sleeping well. Good progress.
    I hope you enjoy the last weekend of Summer!
    @Supersonic

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  4. Jamie

Jamie ADMINISTRATOR Administrator

I'm pleased to hear that you're having minimal pain and swelling following your surgery. That's what we love to hear and it seems to be the case more often these days, especially with hip replacements. We can chalk that up to improved surgical techniques and the use of multi-modal pain management methods during and immediately after surgery.

From what I'm reading, it sounds like you have been on opiate pain meds for a while, so it is likely that you will need to try and taper off them gradually. The symptoms you describe are an indication that you're trying to stop to quickly so let that be a guide for you as you go through this process. If you feel these symptoms, you're going too fast.

I was a bit confused by your comment that you were "on 4 hourly." Does that mean you are taking medication every 4 hours? If so and if you've been on that schedule for a while, then instantly switching to a dose every 6 hours might be a bit aggressive for you to start.

I can give you more specific tapering guidance if you tell me what medication you're on (strength and dose) and how often you're taking it. Please tag me with your response so I will see it more quickly.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Supersonic

Supersonic junior member

Hi Jamie
    Think stretching time between does is the way to go.
    Mom suggest some of its my memory foam mattress as l wake up in a little sweaty barrow! I had a topper for ages but swapped to full memory foam a couple of years ago. As l felt l could still feel springs through the topper.
    I will get all my boxes together tomoro with right spelling and doses.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Supersonic

Supersonic junior member

Hi @Jamie , have felt nauseous all day. Bought my morning meds back up :dead:

Here i s my med schedule on a typical day.
    7am l omprezole 20mg 2 x cocodamol 8/ 500mg
    9am 2 x 75mg asprin
    1pm. 2x cocodamol 8/ 500
    7pm 2x 8/ 500mg cocodamol
    1am or if l wake. 2 or 1 x Tramadol 50mg SR
    Today l ve managed the omprezole at 4pm
    And asprin at 5pm
    I' ve a splitting headache all day and feel fatigued too.
    Defo hit a wall.:bawl:

Last edited: Sep 1, 2019
  7. Supersonic

Supersonic junior member

Thought l'd switch it up and do some of the recommended PT. Now l've pulled my thigh muscles! Doing knee lifts, l now l remember teading on here not to do them. It's a movement l'd lost before so l'm happy l can do it but feel very sore:bignono: Wont be doing again.

• Agree Agree x 3
  8. gertie

gertie post-grad

Oh, yes. Tried those at about the 1 week point and said no, no, no--that does not feel good.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. mainegirl1

mainegirl1 graduate

I love knee lifts but yes if it hurts now don't now.. Wait a few days and try again. One. I am working on them as I have 15 stairs to go up to get into the house and I want not to trip over my own two feet. Years ago I did that on marble stairs and required 26 stitches in the knee..

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Supersonic

Supersonic junior member

Ouch! I can see why knee lifts are needed mainegirl1. I'm just frustrated as these sore muscles have set me back by a least a week. Still getting the steps in according to my tracker.

Is It Just Me ?

I'm suffering from brain fog. I 'm usually such a get up and go person. It's like l know what l want to do but have to launch my self into it by a count down, literally 5,4,3,2,1! Bingo ! I'm away. Sometimes it takes a few attempts and this is for literally everything.
    Feeling apathetic, sore and still can't shift this headache.:cry:

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  11. Supersonic

Supersonic junior member

Well l've had a tummy bug since Monday so that cvould explain a few things. Its gone through the family, l suspect it was my nephew who visited , he's 12 btw. But it could be something else. Slept well, still just fluids for now. Having to trust my body to sort this.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  12. Layla

Aww, I'm so sorry. How miserable to be dealing with anything aside from recovery from your surgery.
    Get lots of rest and feel better soon! :console2:
    @Supersonic

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  13. Elf1

Elf1 graduate

@Supersonic I do feel for you, had the same last weekend. Hopefully yours doesn't last too long. Told my hubby the only good thing about it was it seemed to be a great weight loss tool!
    :rotfl:

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Supersonic

Supersonic junior member

Hi Smarties
    3 WEEK POST OP
    Finally starting to feel 'normal' again'. Meds down to a maintainance dose which l'm happier about.
    Sleeping through the night and feeling refreshed, no more naps - which is kinda sad cos l do love a siesta.
    Slowly getting my appetite back too which helps with the fatigue.
    Yesterday visited family in the sunshine great morale boost.
    I'm pottering around the house, washing, the odd bit of cleaning.
    I've probably broke the 90° rule unwittingly but hips still in place.
    Things healing nicely at the 3 week mark.
    Still cautious of my scar, daren't pick or scrub, so each day it's sort gross and interesting at the same time to see if any of the clip scabs have fallen off.
    Still no shower yet too anxious but thats no biggy, hairs washed as is body head to toe.
    No pain, never need to ice, elevate in the afternoon for a few hours oir when theres opportunity.
    Can feel the cup implant a little bit not the thigh bone implant.
    I'm taking it slow and steady, averaging around 1400 steps a day. Plan to increase on that over the coming weeks.
    I 've decided
    1st mth physical recovery
    2nd mth increase strength/stamina
    3rd mth normal activities + some
    Then back to work !

This is where l'm at. It's my recovery, hope everyone is enjoying there's xx

• Like Like x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 2
  15. mainegirl1

mainegirl1 graduate

Sounds like a plan!.. I too don't ice much .. elevate sometimes. I overdid it yesterday and elevated 40 minutes and this am was wonderfully free of even stiffness except that pesky IT band when I bend the knee to 130 degrees
    I am doing about 2500 steps a day and plan to increase about ten percent a day.. I am not using aids and that may make tiredness come on sooner as all the little muscles who have been lazy are not being demanded to work.

I am cooking ( have been a while), laundering and its time to stop ignoring the dust bunnies. I am hoping to be on the bike before it snows. I probably will be fine to rake leaves too unfortunately.

Is your incision closed and did your doc say it was OK to shower? Or is it the pesky mind that from time to time says... nooo.. Sometimes our confidence needs to heal too.

I have been showering but I have a walk in stall..
    I can't feel any implant!

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  16. Supersonic

Supersonic junior member

Hi mainegirl1

So true about the mind, l don't have a stall shower so that's probably why l'm anxious. Could go my mums who does have a stall just by the time l'm there, l'm scrubbed up anyhow.

I've been doing some of the laundry ( chair & grabber)
    Cooking, nothing fancy my taste has gone very bland almost like nursery food - which makes a change.

My insision is nicely closed and will be a nice line of about 23cm and is improving everyday.

I have to remind myself that l was prone to tendinitis, swollen bursitis and sore muscles in the early days of my diagnosis.
    Think l'm always going to have to listen out for that.
    I'm the sort of person who lives to feel the burn and flop at the end of the day, knowing l've used every ounce if energy because l know a good sleep and a few aches later, l'll be good as new. Maybe l won't push quite so hard now as l know l will probably need a revision at some point and it's not a race to get one!

You did have your hip done didn't you ?
    Only l'm advise to use crutches for 6 weeks out doors
    1 crutch indoors if l feel safe to, which l do, how else to carry cups etc.
    It seems we are way more cautious all round in the UK, l'm still on omperzole and asprin incase of clots. Still sleeping on my back, though l tried my op side and it felt odd. Also got crazy the the night and went rogue and tried my good side with a pillow between my knees but things felt too tight to be comfortable and didn't dare sleep.

I have to keep my heels off the mattress at night as they tend to burn like crazy after a while.
    All in all l can't believe it's only just 3 weeks post op. The body truly is a remarkable thing.

Give it what it wants and it really will just get on with it .
    I've got my daughterback tomorow, l've had my son looking out for me but he works nights so thats mainly early evening. My mum whisks me away for lunch most days, she had a pre booked brrak to Gibraltar last week but was itching to get back to my recovery.
    Being separated l did worry how l'd cope but ut's been ok.
    Even my ex has shown concern, we get along fine in small doses.
    Looking forward to some more fine weather this weekend.

How much snow will you get and for how long? Don't usually get much here, if any?
    Glad you are having a great recovery. Always enjoy your posts xx

• Like Like x 1
  17. mainegirl1

mainegirl1 graduate

@Supersonic We match as far as op date.. I had anterolateral hip replacement but that shouldn't matter much now

The snow season starts Nov 15 and lasts through April.. About 150 inches annually.. Usually all of it stays no melt.

But the snow now is up in the White Mtns ( visible from my house). My house is at 200 feet.. The Whites at 5-6000 feet.

Was so sore everywhere on waking.. aagh.. Walked around the house a little and it seems to ease..
    Yes it seems practices in the UK and the US vary.. I have never heard of a THR patient using crutches at all.
    We go from walker to cane... or as I prefer walker to hiking sticks or stick.. The sticks give you a boost of power and work your arms at the same time.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  18. Layla

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  19. Supersonic

Supersonic junior member

Thanks Layla
    What an interesting read, how inspirational are Valerie and Barry. l think eventually the 'rationed' use mentality will wear off as l go about living my real life.
    It's all so new and l'm obvious still very aware if my new hip.
    The whole point was to get on with living and at 3 weeks post op l'm starting to get impatient. But l do realise that for me a good recovery is a steady one.

I pulled muscles in week 2 over doing it so l'm being a little more cautious.
    I guess this will happen time to time and there's always ice for the odd pull or strain. But as it healed so quickly, l'm not gonna let it hold me back.

Went shopping yesterday for the first time using just the trolley for support. Bought so much ! How l've missed shopping.
    Was thoroughly exhausted and sat with my feet up for a few hours after !
    Was a great day as my son passed his driving test too :loveshwr:

• Like Like x 1
  20. Supersonic

Supersonic junior member

Hi mainegirl1
    Wow do much snow ! I imagine there's lots of prep involved for such a long winter.

Not much snow where l live but did hear something about the gulf stream being in the position that gives the UK snow.
    Fingers crossed, though it does bring chaos as we are just not kitted out for snow here in the UK lol

But hey we've autumn/ fall to savour first which is often bright and sunny here

• Like Like x 1