THR Superpath Surgery. May 10, 2023

Jason11

Country
United States United States
Hi everyone, Today is May 11, 2023. I just had my superpath hip surgery yesterday, and am home today. I had to stay in the hospital one night, because my blood pressure was real low after surgery. I am 6-2 and weight 280 pounds. I am 65 years old. I had some problems urinating after surgery too, and had to have a catheter put in me last night. ( not fun ). Well today is a brand new day I was able to urinate, and getting around slowly today with a walker. I am home today after one night in the hospital. The surgeon used glue on the outside and stitches on the inside. He said I could take a shower in 2 days. But I will probable hold off on that for a while. I have some Nerve issues in my perineum, so after reaching all the different hip surgery types, I thought the super path would be best. Fingers crossed.

:welome:to the Healing Side @Jason11

Glad to see you back on the forum.

I'm assuming you finally got that left hip fixed...the one that was originally scheduled for October 17 of last year?
I changed your signature to reflect this but let me know if this wrong.

Low BP and the other after effects of surgery and anaesthesia certainly are not fun.
Glad you are home so you can rest and ice:ice:

I will leave you our Recovery Guidelines. Each article is short but very informative. Following these guidelines will help you have a less painful recovery.

Just keep in mind all people are different, as are the approaches to this recovery and rehab. The key is, “Find what works for you.“ Your doctors, PTs and BoneSmart are available to help, but you are the final judge as to the recovery approach you choose.

Hip Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary​
2. Control discomfort
rest
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​

3. Do what you want to do BUT​
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you​
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​

4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these

5. At week 4 and after you should follow this

6. Access to these pages on the website

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

Hi everyone, To day is May 14, I thought I would update my condition as time goes by, I do have something negative to report, I am having some swelling in both my feet. I took my Ted hose off yesterday because my feet were swelling with the ted hose on. I told the home health nurse that came by to see me and she said just to elevate them and walk around a little , the best I can.

I saw one YouTube video of a person walking unassisted 24hrs after surgery, and that is definitely is not me. The only pain medication I had to take was Tylenol 1000 mg every eight hours, my pain level is very acceptable. I still use a walker to walk, but noticed I am picking my feet up more as I walk.

So far I am very happy with my surgeon and the hospital I was at. I can be a complainer, but they took very good care of me.

Medication list
Tylenol 1000 mg every eight hours
Aspirin low-dose every 12 hours
Generic Celebrex 200 MG, every 24 hours
Ferosul 325 (65 fe ) mg tab. Every 24hrs
I do have some. Tramadol 50 mg on stand by for pain, but have not taken any.

I am not expert enough to give anyone any advice, but I was reading some post by @danelady . Wow danelady if you read this my thoughts and prayers are with you.

Last edited:
I saw one YouTube video of a person walking unassisted 24hrs after surgery, and that is definitely is not me.
I have not known of anyone in real life that walked unassisted 24 hours after surgery. If it really happened, that is great. However, I hope no one will think they should measure their recovery by that.

You seem to be doing very well for it being only four days since your surgery. Keep up the good progress.

Congratulations on the new hip! :) Out of curiosity, was the surgery hoping to tackle some of the perineum nerve issues?

Congratulations on the new hip! :) Out of curiosity, was the surgery hoping to tackle some of the perineum nerve issues?
Hi ChickensMom, There is another Superpath hip surgeon that I saw who said it might help. This surgeon I picked didn’t say anything about it helping nerve issues .

So if you ask me , did the surgery help with nerve issues?,I will say no. ( at least not yet, 5 days out of surgery)
If you ask me did the surgery make the nerve issues worse, I would say no, the pain level is about the same.

Another thing I want to say is, my wife is my care giver in all of this, and she is a trooper. She helps me , and I see her sometimes struggling to help me, She has her own medical problems, and this is not easy on her.

@Jason11 - I think it is hard for care givers to see us so vulnerable, with or without medical issues of their own. Those of us who have someone to help are very lucky. I include myself in that (even though there are sometimes frustrations on both sides),

May 16 2023

Well I had my first in home physical therapy yesterday . The PT was nice enough, but they are all on time schedules and was kind of a hurry to get out of the house. She did show me some exercises and wants to see me a few more times.

I have decided to stop in home physical therapy , some of the things the PT did made my hip hurt worse. I have read here and on other websites that PT is not always necessary. I am moving around ok with a walker, and my plan is to walk once every hour .

In my younger days I lifted weights , ran, and did martial arts. ( for many years, probably why I had to have a hip replacement now . ). I think I have an understanding on body mechanics. Rest and walking are the order of the day for now.

I am sitting around watching bonanza reruns. ( why do I have 300 channels on my tv and nothing to watch?)

Sounds like you made a wise choice. Healthcare is a business and time is money and unlike many other businesses they aren't paid by results. If you get tired of Bonanza I'm sure you can find Andy Griffith.

Bonanza, Gunsmoke and The Virginian are my partners "go tos" late at night!
I say to him, "we are paying over $200 a month for cable and you are watching reruns!"
He loves it but if I'm being honest I can watch the movie Pretty Woman every time it comes on! LOL!
Sounds like you are mapping out recovery days just fine.

I love Bonanza too. Lately High Chaparral is high on my list, too.
I also started with Season 1 and re watched all of the show called MEDIUM. That was great, too.

Reruns are the best during the recovery time because you can fall a sleep and not miss a whole lot that you can't fill in from memory.
Loved seeing you give credit to your lovely wife. Our spouses work hard to help us and need that appreciation.

Happy healing!

Joey on Bonaza was my first crush. We watched it in reruns in the 1970s when I was a kid in Germany. :)

I didn’t do PT and I am doing great. Lucky for me, my surgeon doesn’t think it’s necessary.

Wishing you a good recovery!

Little Joe! My first crush, also. But was also in love with Hoss. :heehee:

That's great about your surgeon not recommending PT and I think @Jason11 may be on this same track.

Loved Little Joe. ☺️
I seem to remember watching Hawai 5 0 at around the same time.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011
  • EalingGran
    Staff member since January 23, 2024

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Dave4562