THR SuperPath and Hip Dysplasia

I wonder how much more painful or how much longer it will take me to recover.
Actually it won't make any difference to your recovery. It will be pretty much like a standard hip replacement.
Also, the fact that 4 os said it was complicated surgery, does it raise the percentage of things going wrong??
Not in the right hands. It will be complicated for HIM, not you. Even if it lengthened the procedure by another hour or so.
The 4th os said my left leg will stay shorter and the 2nd os said he could lengthen it. Who do I trust?
It's not exactly a matter of trust but of seeing what will happen. As sequin just said, no surgeon really knows until he gets 'in there' and see's what's really what. Even then, it's unlikely to have a much of an impact on your recovery.

@SwampHiker, I wish it was a normal worn hip. I guess I would still be worried. As for the os: Number 1 is known to my sister who is the director of a rehab in my town and she said he broke a woman's femur not so long ago...she just didn't think I should go with him for that reason. That scared the hell out of me. The second one I felt comfortable with. The third had an odd personality, I wasn't that comfortable with him. He was the one I spoke to about anterior, he said no...so, I moved on the the 4th.

As I said before, he, #4, hasn't been an os in this country for all that long although, he claims to have studied "with the best of the best". He said bad hips were all he "used to do". Which to me means not anymore lately. I'm sure there have been advances since he "used to do it all the time". The second os uses some robotic thing that is supposed to help him be more precise. Also NYU orthopedic hospital is #8 in the country. He also said he could lengthen my shorter leg (it's not all that much shorter)...where as #4 said he would have to shorten it but, not more than it already is according to him. I don't understand how these two can have such different outcomes for the same hip. My 2nd os has about 17 years experience...and said he does about 250 replacements a year. Now, how many dysplasia hips...forgot to ask. I am going to see him in March to plan for surgery. I will ask him more questions then.

@Josephine,, thank you for your input, I really appreciate you. I guess if the surgeons won't know until they get in there...I won't know till I wake from it. It's still a scary thought. Like I said, right now I know what I'm dealing with...fearing the worst outcomes is unsettling. I will have to move forward soon though...this hip seems to have it's good days and it's bad days...it so strange how some days I hardly have any pain and days like today are so hard to walk. I don't know till I stand and start walking what kind of pain if any I will be having. Today was a bad one. I can't wait till my handicap placard comes in the mail. Parking at a distance is horrible.

No, I know what it's like when the staff looks at your xray and their eyes light up because they've never actually seen one like that (followed by an onslaught of very eager questions) and than the surgeon is looking at your xray with a terrified look on his face and you can tell he really isn't confident that he can help you.

Sounds like you have the most confidence in surgeon #2.

All that matters is the end result after the healing is done! A smooth functioning pain free hip.

I hope it doesn't end up worse, that's all. Yes, #2, I liked his personality and the way he explained things. He seemed confident. He also had pretty good reviews....the only bad review was someone having to wait in the waiting room too long to see him. If he's that good, I don't mind the wait to be honest.

Aww, Mersada, reading your post a couple up from here sure brings back some unpleasant memories.
The uncertainty of when the pain may rear it's ugly head next. Circling parking lots looking for the closest space because of the pain you experience while walking. Leaning heavily on a cart in the store as you shop. Ugh! It will be a memory for you one day too and you may find yourself reading someone else's post about it all. I can't wait for you to lose the pain and regain your life. I know it's getting closer. You're going to love the result!
I hope you have a nice weekend.
@Mersada

fearing the worst outcomes is unsettling
One thing that is not helping you is that you're regarding this surgery as if it's a) unusual and b) supremely difficult. It is neither of those things.

Perhaps it would help for you to take this into consideration:
1. hip replacement has been on the go since about 1955
2. has the lowest rates of 'failure' in medical history which includes all forms of 'failures'
3. it is the most performed and most successful surgical procedure in medical history
4. more than 1.4 million hip replacements take place annually world wide​
Does that put it into better context for you?

Circling parking lots looking for the closest space because of the pain you experience while walking. Leaning heavily on a cart in the store as you shop.

Wow, you deffinitely know the drill...lol. My sister asked me to come to the mall with her and my other two sisters tomorrow...and I am debating if it's worth the pain, since I will have that on my mind more than the shopping. My little sister walks like she's on speed and sometimes I can't keep up with her. Will see.

Yes, @Josephine those statistics do make me feel better about it. It's just when they say mine is "complicated", I just don't like hearing that.

Hope you all have a great weekend. Thanks for the support, I think I will be a basket of nerves till the day after it happens.

Last edited by a moderator:
They told me that my THR would be complicated too. Jo said just what she's told you. They only meant it was complicated for the surgeon. It wasn't complicated for me at all. I had a very straightforward recovery. I bet you will too.

Sent from my SM-S327VL using Tapatalk

Hi Mersada,
You could go to the mall with your sisters and find a comfy spot to sit with a coffee and people watch if you get too stiff / sore. At least you'd feel a part of the holiday hustle and bustle and most likely see some pretty decor at the mall.

It is a miserable time, Mersada, I feel for you. Decisions to be made, then the pre-op anxiety. Just think forward to next Christmas and how good you'll feel with this all behind you. You'll probably even be able to keep up with little sis next shopping season.
I hope you have a great Sunday no matter how you spend it.
@Mersada

It was raining today, and felt a little achy. I decided on a pedicure instead of a day at the mall. It was errands and pedicure. Less walking to do. :heehee:

Hope you had a great Sunday too @Layla , thanks for your support.

Happy Monday!
Sorry for the achiness, no fun.
You most likely made the best decision, for you, in skipping the mall. You know what you're capable of.
Pedis are a mood booster for me. And errands.....a necessity.
Wishing you comfort to get through the week, Mersada. I hope it's a good one.
Hugs :friends:

Hi Mersada,
Wondering how you're doing? I hope you had a nice Christmas.
We're cold and snowy in my region today, but it's December so no shocker.
I hope you have a nice holiday weekend. Just think, 2019 will be the year you lose the pain and re-gain your life.
I'm excited for you! :happydance:
@Mersada

@Layla , Thank you...you are so thoughtful. I check the forums everyday, I read here an there to see how everyone is making out. So, I am still here lurking.

NYC is in the 30's to 40's most days...no real snow yet. I hope you have a splendid New Year's eve and a terrific New Year. Here's to 2019. I hope it's a good one.

@Mersada, are you using a walker? Doesn't always work, but for getting around a mall, a walker might be of huge help. Some people don't think of getting a walker until after surgery, but you can certainly use them outside of surgery. Some people feel an ego slight in taking up the walker.

After surgery, I was amazed at how comfortable the walker was. How steady I felt, how easy it was to move and move a lot ... without pain.

My view: definitely go with the surgeon with a good record who is confident he can fix you up, including leg length. So that's #2 right?

But ... if for any reason ... if #2 doesn't really seem comfortable for you, there's no harm in continuing to visit surgeons ... Yes, fear gets in the way in choosing a surgeon ... but ... it's also the case ... that sometimes it takes many visits to find that surgeon who just calms us, and who feels right. So don't be afraid to meet more surgeons if you're feeling stuck. You may not want to ... but don't think there is anything wrong with doing so.

@Going4fun , No I don't use a walker, just yet. Some days are better than others with the walking.

As for the surgeons, I am hesitant in general because they all said mine was a complicated hip....I should have asked them how many like me they have operated on, but I didn't. The fact that they said it's complicated makes me worry with the what ifs...what if something goes wrong or I take longer to heal. Financially, I can't afford to be out of work that long...I don't want my credit to get ruined if I can't pay my bills on time. Short term disability only pays like 170 a week...what can you pay with that.

My biggest fear is the fact that all the surgeons called me complicated...the fourth one said he would cut a piece of my femor out and I would have a shorter leg. #2 said he could fix the length difference. I don't know who to believe. To be honest with you, I feel like postponing the surgery for a while longer...one to get myself financially prepared for a longer recovery period and two...because I'm just worried about something going wrong. Atleast, now I can still walk...it may not be far...but, I can walk.

Hi Mersada, have you met with any of the surgeons through the HSS? I've read that statistically they do more Hips and Knees annually than any other hospital in the country and were rated the top Orthopedic Hospital in the country for the last number of years.

I certainly understand the need to be financially prepared but hope all works out so you're able to lose the pain you're suffering and move forward. I pray you find someone you are comfortable with and feel you can trust.
I hope you have a nice weekend.
@Mersada

@Layla....no, I met with two doctors from NYU...same hospital as @Lea61 and she had complications...dislocation. So, I worry since mine is a "complicated" one. HSS does not take my insurance and out of network would be too expensive. NYU is #8 in the country for orthopedic surgery.

Also, having me hesitate is the 90 degree precautions, with dogs, that is going to be a big pain in the butt. Not looking forward to that.

Have a great weekend!!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jamie
    Staff member since Feb, 2009

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
HikerWalker
Recent bookmarks