THR SuperPath and Hip Dysplasia

I can appreciate those concerns. It also looks like Dr Eric Gordon does SuperPATH in Brooklyn, that may be another option worth checking into.

SwampHiker, thank you. I saw Dr. Eric Gordon....the only thing with him is his practice is not in such a good neighborhood...but, I will see if he accepts my insurance...that will be a 6th consult for me...lol.

The more the merrier lol. I did 6 in person and sent my MRI to 15 more by email. I knew my 5th consult was the right surgeon for the job and did the 6th anyway (that one was by far the one I wanted to run the fastest and furthest from - even though he had stellar reviews). Sometimes you just have to trust your gut instinct.

Will be thinking of you, Mersada.
Wishing you the best on Monday. I'll look forward to your commentary on the meeting.
Enjoy the weekend!
@Mersada

Well, I am giving up on using any new procedures like anterior or SuperPath on me. I had my consultation with the OS that does Superpath and he told me I was absolutely not a candidate for SuperPath or Anterior because they have to do some major reconstruction of my hip due to hip dysplasia. He said he would have to cut a couple of inches of my femur to be able to do the reconstruction, and that scared the hell out of me. My other consultations never mentioned that.

I am trying to figure out how to upload my xray, I am having a bit of trouble. I don't know how to do it.

Wow, it's amazing the different information you gather at every consultation. I'm sorry it didn't go as you hoped it would today.

This is my deformed hip. Any input @Josephine? I hope I posted it correctly. The site was saying image was too large so I cropped it.

mers 2.jpg

mers 1.jpg

Wow, it's amazing the different information you gather at every consultation. I'm sorry it didn't go as you hoped it would today.

Yes, I am very disappointed, too...but, thank you. I was hoping I would be able to recover quickly, but it might not be that way for me. I don't know.

He said he would have to cut a couple of inches of my femur to be able to do the reconstruction, and that scared the hell out of me. My other consultations never mentioned that.
They cut the femer every time...whether it is half, one or two inches. It is scary but honestly not so different. He needs to get your hips even...and by the look of your xray..that poor hip has to hurt...it will need that for stem to be correct.
A smaller incision might seem like less recovery time but honestly the long term healing isn't much different, in my opinion, and you want him to access it where he can best and get it right!
Did he say what approach he would like to use instead?

I was also very anxious, @Mersada ...but hip replacement got rid of that chronic pain, allowed me to get back to being a productive person too.
I have to work also, no choices...but I realize now, it would've been impossible to continue doing that too with my bad hips.

I hope you're able to settle on a surgeon soon, Mersada, and schedule a date. I had to wait two months which can be average here in the US. By the look of your x-ray I'm imagining you must be in pain. It will be nice to have a date scheduled and then focus on what you'll need for recovery and begin arranging for that.
You're not alone in feeling anxious. We all were. Sadly it's just something you have to move through on your way to a better life, pain free once again. You'll get there. We're all rooting for you.
A great rest of the week to you!
@Mersada

I didn't know they always cut the femur. For some reason hearing him say it scared me. The approach all of the consults said I would need is posterior. Thank you for your insight.

It's very helpful understanding others have dealt with similar. I just read the negative posts sometimes and it also scares the hell out of me. At least right now I know what I'm dealing with and have learned ways to avoid pain. I know it's no way to live, but at least I know it and it's familiar. The unknown scares me but, I know that's probably everyone who has had to go through it.

Layla, yes, the second OS I met with told me he has an 8 week waiting list so, I should see him in March for a May date which is what I am shooting for. I just worry about something going wrong or not healing properly. At least now I know what I have to deal with, although I know it's no way to live. I fear it turning out worse for some reason. The 'what ifs' have me scared.

I hope you have a great week, as well. Thank you for the advice.

I was told my right hip was not a fit for super path, because my anatomy was too screwed up. (his words)
He also said my left was not as bad as the right, but wont know if he can spare my muscles until he cuts me open.
Roll the dice...hip dysplasia!
:beg:

Nice words to describe your hip, surprised from a doctor. You got it done already, right? Was he able to spare the muscles?

Yeah, my latest OS said yours is not just a hip replacement it's a hip reconstruction. I guess the other OSs I saw spared me details. Maybe I should have asked better questions. I don't know.

I got my right (no superpath, done last March.)
I am hoping my left side can be superpath. Will find out in Feb...

Good luck with that. Why do you have to wait till Feb. to find out?? I would want to know like now...lol.

I unfortunately can't get anterior or superpath, major disappointment. Also, now that the last one told me it's a whole hip reconstruction, he scared the hell out of me.

Also, now that the last one told me it's a whole hip reconstruction, he scared the hell out of me.
Don't be scared - be reassured because now you know he's not taking this lightly. To be frank though, it is 'just' a hip replacement but it has more to it when you're the surgeon! But not when you're the patient as you'll be out of it!

I cropped your photos Mersada and 'privatised' the first one! But that's as good an example of a dysplasic hip as I have seen in a long time! Textbook!

Don't be scared - be reassured because now you know he's not taking this lightly. To be frank though, it is 'just' a hip replacement but it has more to it when you're the surgeon! But not when you're the patient as you'll be out of it!

I cropped your photos Mersada and 'privatised' the first one! But that's as good an example of a dysplasic hip as I have seen in a long time! Textbook!

Thank you for cropping @Josephine. I didn't know what I was doing.

As a patient I will be out of it, but eventually I come to. I wonder how much more painful or how much longer it will take me to recover. Also, the fact that 4 os said it was complicated surgery, does it raise the percentage of things going wrong??

The 4th os said my left leg will stay shorter and the 2nd os said he could lengthen it. Who do I trust? I prefer them lengthening it rather than make it shorter. The doc from NYU might have better technology on his side he's at a cutting edge hospital...so, I'm thinking of going with him. The 4th os hasn't done this surgery in a while but, said he studied with the best of the best and that's all he did for a few years was complicated hip issues. I'm conflicted.

@Mersada I understand exactly where you are right now. It's an unsettling position. As I've mentioned, I did multiple consultations with varying diagnosis, opinions, and prospective outcomes. Even going into surgery I was advised that my SuperPath might turn into a traditional posterior. Not all surgeons have the skills and knowledge to tackle abnormal anatomy. For me one of the most important things was not needed to wear an external shoe lift anymore after surgery (in addition to being able to walk normally). You have a difficult decision on your hands. It seems like you are torn between surgeons 2 and 4. For some reason it was easy to eliminate 1, 3 and 5. Perhaps now that you have more information you may want to ask more questions of 2 and 4.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Mojo333
    Staff member since August 15, 2017
  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022
  • Jamie
    Staff member since Feb, 2009
  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018

Forum statistics

Threads