THR SuperPath and Hip Dysplasia

Mersada

graduate
Country
United States United States
I recently came to know about the Superpath method, and I am considering it (learned about it here). Has anyone with bone on bone and hip dysplasia had this method done--or has been told they are a good candidate for this method. If so, what was the out come/benefits.
I read no precautions with this surgery which is a selling point for me.

I found an OS in my area that does it. He has good reviews, but he has only been an os for about 7 years. I am a little concerned with that. He takes my insurance, so I want to have a consultation with him.

So far, preparing for this journey
I got my recliner which reclines with out the back going down first, so it was a recommended chair on this site.
I got my grabber.
I got my tray for my soon to get walker.
I have a shower chair.
The raised pillow (not that great)
between the knees pillow
easy to wear (ugly lol) house dresses.

I will be mostly alone, so I have to try to plan to make life as simple as possible.

I got bed risers 8" for my futon which I hope to use in my living room in front of the TV. Has anyone used them? They are made out of plastic. I hope they hold up.

I noticed the grabbers are good to setting down and picking up wee wee pads which I will need for keeping my dogs content. I found someone who will come in and feed them and change the wee wees for 10 a visit, which is cheapest I found.

Any other suggestions for the preparation phase, would be appreciated. I got most of these ideas from this site, as well.

Has anyone with bone on bone and hip dysplasia had this method done
There is no earthly reason why this procedure should not be suitable for dysplasic hips.
easy to wear (ugly lol) house dresses.
Why do you need these? Has someone told you you'll be an invalid for some time after the surgery? Because that's not so. In fact, it will be much better for you if you get properly dressed each day. Much better mentally.
I noticed the grabbers are good to setting down and picking up wee wee pads which I will need for keeping my dogs content.
:eeeuw:

I just worry about not being able to do it without help @Josephine. Looking to make life easier, especially for the first week.

I am 13 days post up SuperPATH. So far it has been amazing. I had help the first day home after that it was just friends stopping by randomly. I had a 1 night hospital stay. Got down and scooped kitty litter my first night home. I have a 2 story home, have been doing stairs multiple times daily since I came home. I think I used my grabbers more before surgery than after lol. No heavy pain meds needed even in the hospital. I did not get a tray for my walker. No between the legs or raised pillow and no ugly house dresses. You can check out my post op thread Look mom - no more duck tape for more detailed information if you wish. Also attached my a pre-op film below - obvious problem. I would not hesitate to do my other hip using the same technique when/if needed.

Attachments

• 20181118_170131.jpg
    20181118_170131.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 428
I had some snap up "house dresses" I wore and they were definitely easy.
You are going to do just fine, and as Jo said, probably be much more capable than you think.
Nice to be prepared though!
Your fan club awaits...:happydance:

Last edited:
Your hip looked pretty bad, I don't have my xray. Didn't know they could give it to you. Mine is pretty bad, too...bone one bone right in the socket. Was that a concern for your surgeon, that he would get a good view of your hip. One doc told me no for anterior for that reason.

I was told no anterior by several. The reason being the socket defect. They replace bone on bone all the time by anterior approach. The Dr I chose does anterior, posterior, and SuperPATH. He said my situation would be best addressed with the SuperPath. As for getting x-rays, I always ask for a disc copy or for them to email so that I didn't get more unnecessary x-ray's taken at other consultations and I always have a copy for my records.

Mine was bone can bone..and I had anterior. But I did not have dysplasia so that might be a contingency.
I truly believe it is dependant on what a skilled OS is trained in and feels is best.
Let the OS you feel confident in use the approach he feels is best!
You will heal and be all the better for it.
External healing might vary, but the inside is going to take the time it needs!

I was shooting for the least precautions as possible but, I get it. I am aiming for a consult with this doc that does Superpath. We will see how that goes. It will be my fourth consult...hope insurance doesnt' have issues with that.

I will call my os that just xrayed me and ask for a copy of my xray. I feel funny telling him I need it for other consults, but I will say I want it for my records.

Hi Mersada,
I'm sure you won't talk directly to your OS about obtaining a copy of your x-ray.
I obtained all my x-rays and records via an online form I printed off, signed and dropped at the office.
It's your right to have copies for your personal records, if you desire.
Check out your OS's website, they may do the same.
I hope you have a nice week and a Happy Thanksgiving!
@Mersada

@Layla Thank you. I will check his website...it's not that fancy of a website. I don't think he does it through there but, I will call them tomorrow.

I hope you have a great week and thanksgiving, as well!!

Hi @Mersada you're a trooper! Going it alone? I hope @SwampHiker's post helped you. I'm getting Superpath in Feb so reading how she's going up and down stairs is very encouraging!
Good luck to you and I'll look for your recovery posts!
(I'll also get myself some ugly house dresses... :rotfl:)

I'm thinking lovely shades of green and blue for you. Please post pictures wearing them when you are writing your post up thread. I also would highly suggest some fuzzy slippers to go with.

I'm thinking lovely shades of green and blue for you. Please post pictures wearing them when you are writing your post up thread. I also would highly suggest some fuzzy slippers to go with.

Fuzzy slippers are a CHECK. Got'm for those cold nights in AZ.
I'm feeling the blues and greens too...

Hi @Mersada you're a trooper! Going it alone? I hope @SwampHiker's post helped you. I'm getting Superpath in Feb so reading how she's going up and down stairs is very encouraging!
Good luck to you and I'll look for your recovery posts!

I was impressed that she can scoop kitty litter...as I have dogs I am going to have to pick up after.

You are getting Superpath done in Feb...I will look forward to hearing about your journey, as well.

I just made an appointment with the doc that does Superpath in my area. Hope I am a candidate for it. Will fill you in.

@Layla I called my os office today. They are putting my xrays on a disc for me, I just have to give them 5 bucks.
I will post it once I get it.

Hi Mersada, :wave:
Great news on the x-rays! I hope if SuperPath interests you, you're a candidate.
Hopefully things are falling into place for you. I can tell you're familiarizing yourself with the process. It feels like your time and efforts are helping to increase your comfort level. It's a good thing :yes:
I hope you have a great rest of the week and a Happy Thanksgiving!
@Mersada

Keeping my fingers crossed for you :fingersx:

Thank you. I only have two concerns with this os I'm seeing on Monday. He has only been an os in this country for 7 years and he is out of network with my insurance company. Only reason I am seeing him is because he does SuperPath which is a relatively new procedure compared to the others. My fingers are crossed, too. I pick up my xrays Monday morning. I will post once I get them.

https://advancedorthosurgeons.com/

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie
Recent bookmarks