Rotator Cuff Repair Superior Capsular Reconstruction (SCR) after Failed Rotator Cuff Surgery

Golfer1

Country
United States United States
Greetings to all!

Not sure if I’m posting this in the right place or not, but I thought my experience might be of help to a certain group of shoulder patients. A cycling accident a couple of years ago resulted in massive (complete) tears of both supraspinatus and infraspinatus tendons of the rotator cuff in my left shoulder. Then the timing was such that nine weeks elapsed between the time of the accident and the time that I was operated on to have both tendons reattached. The surgery was a failure… Both tendons had totally retracted and atrophied. The Huntsville surgeon told me that my only option to restore shoulder function was a reverse total shoulder replacement.

Long story short, that is NOT necessarily the case! Four months after the failed surgery, I underwent another surgery called a superior capsular reconstruction (SCR). For this I went to the renowned Andrews Sports Medicine and Orthopedic Clinic in Birmingham, AL. My OS there had only done eight of this unique surgery, but he told me if I wanted someone who has done more of them I would have to go to Mayo Clinic. I decided to place my trust in him and I’ve never regretted that decision. I now have a fully functional shoulder, with the exception that I am not able to lift much weight at arm’s length due to the mechanics. I am back to distance swimming, golfing etc. AND, I still have the option of a reverse total shoulder replacement in the future should I ever need it.

The option of an SCR, however, is not available to all people who have had failed rotator cuff surgery. If I remember correctly you have to have massive irreparable tears of both supraspinatus and infraspinatus tendons, no shoulder arthritis, a functional deltoid muscle and the other two tendons that make up the rotator cuff have to be intact. I was fortunate in that I fit the bill perfectly.

The physical therapy for an SCR progresses at a slower rate than standard rotator cuff surgery with some different protocols. However, it works if you are willing to put in the time!

I could go on and on about this amazing, cutting edge (no pun intended) surgery, but probably the best thing for you to do if you feel you might be a candidate is to research it on the Internet. As the surgery becomes more prevalent, there are more articles and a lot of good YouTube videos explaining the procedure.

It was done arthroscopically with seven small incisions.

if anyone has any questions I would be happy to answer them if I’m able. If you’d like to know the name of my surgeon, I will be happy to help with that as well.

God bless and Merry Christmas all!

I'm sorry to hear about the failed rotator cuff surgery but am glad the reconstruction went well. Thanks for providing such encouraging info for other members. I'm going to have this moved to the recovery side where it has a better chance of being found later - I'm sure others will find the info helpful.

Can you give me the dates of both shoulder surgeries to add to your signature?

@SaraK -My pleasure. If at least one person finds the info helpful then it was well worth it.

Feb 8, 2019 - failed rotator cuff surgery
June 7, 2019 - Superior Capsular Reconstruction

FYI... I am currently a member on the TKA side. Surgery on November 23. Bonesmart is awesome.

Merry Christmas to you!

Merry Christmas to you as well! I don't spend much time on knee side - I started with hips and then had a massive rotator cuff tear. Luckily the surgery was a success.

@Golfer1 Congratulations on the result of your SCR! Thanks for the details on this procedure. I am sure our members will benefit from all the details you posted. Sounds like it was a life changing op for you. Well done!

@Jaycey -Thank you… It WAS a life-changing op for me. I went from not being able to raise my hand much above my waist to full overhead range of motion. I got my arm back.

Merry Christmas to you and Happy New Year!

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you as well! :carols:

@Golfer1 .... you may notice that I've moved your thread to the shoulder post op forum as it fits better there. I also added a thread prefix for you. I also altered your thread title slightly to reflect the name of the procedure you had. Since we don't have a prefix for that particular surgery, putting the name in your title will help people find it with a search.

I'm glad to hear you were proactive and did research to find something that would work for you. It sounds like you've made a good recovery and hopefully you'll have many good years out of your shoulder. Thanks for telling your story and I hope you continue to let us know how you're doing.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
corvettejanie
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom