TKR "Super Hero" knee #2!!

You're right Clara, the PAs do have a purpose. I did see other PAs that were fine and it's the PAs in my OS office that do a great with my knee shots. I was just in such a precarious position, not knowing what the infection was and I had asked the PA to not comment until the cultures were grown and studied, but she just kept on. It was funny though that she saw me in a room she wasn't expecting and turned to walk out.

I agree with you @uva55 on every point. My OS is extremely popular and therefore very busy. Plus you are right about insurance companies. The hospital cost was $103,000, but the insurance had negotiated to pay only $46,000!!!
I had absolutely no complaints with the PA during my first TKR. In fact the whole OS staff was very efficient and professional. It was just my misfortune to have a new inexperienced PA for my second TKR 4 weeks ago.
My OS is the one who visited me for updates at the hospital and the one who will take X-rays and check my knee for problems at six week post-op. check-up. And I totally understand why the OS had the PA remove the bandaid. That is a minor job that anyone can do. The suturing of the scar is also something that is basic surgery 101. Unfortunately, I had to be the patient that got practiced on by the PA.

11 July, 2016 LTKR
29 February, 2016 RTKR

@KarriB you were 100% right the PA had no right worrying you without all the information, I would have done the exact same thing you did. You scared her, lol

@Nammy925 I feel your OS should have sutured you, you entrusted your wellbeing to him not the PA, if his policy is to have someone else do it, then you should have been informed. I always assumed then OS would be doing it.

Live and learn, the hard way I suppose!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm pretty sure the PA stapled me up both times. I had been introduced to the PA and it was explained she'd be assisting in the surgery. My OS has a system where the PA does the staple removal visit, he does the 6 weeks visit.

Hi @Nammy925, I just discovered your recovery thread- we are knee replacement twins-both left knees on July 11. I had such a similar experience-I went to the same OS who did a fantastic job with my hip last summer. After surgery this time, someone messed up on the meds and I had no pain medication for 2 days. I thought it was because they did the knee nerve block, but it was an error (I think when they switched my meds from cumidon to aspirin it cancelled out my entire medication protocol). It took 2 days to straighten it out and by that time I was a mess. My OS got a new nurse practitioner (who handles all the meds) and a new PA, so not sure who had the problem but the nurse had mixed things up during the last few months of communicating with her.

So, as far as your scar goes-I had a similar situation-my OS did an outstanding job with my hip-no pain whatsoever after the surgery, but the scar had a big "hole" dimple at the top that took forever to heal. His usual PA was on vacation so a different PA stitched it up, and did a bad job. So, before my knee surgery, I was going to talk to the PA about doing a better job with the sutures this time. The OS came in before surgery, I was hesitant to bring it up (was going to talk to the PA about it), so my husband of course brought it up. The OS looked at my hip scar, and noticed that it was a bad job, and said the knee would be much better. I'm happy my husband mentioned it because the scar is so far, good.

I am also a big believer in kinesio tape and have used it for years (to tape my knee and other problem areas). I you-tubed the post knee replacment taping so will apply it today. I'm trying to find applications for the back of the knee to help with that, too. I used some K-tape initially for my sutures and it seemed to help. Good luck with taping, let us know how it goes, and I will see how the taping for swelling works.

Hi LaylaHips,
So glad to hear from a surgery twin! Wow, surgery mishaps were going around that day, for sure!!!
Well, my PT had taped that scar for last two weeks, but honestly, I can't see much of a difference. It is still raised and puckered. I did email the OS, but it looks like the PA answers for him, too! He told me it was still fresh after 4 weeks and that I should give it time to "settle down." I asked him "What if it doesn't get better?" He replied that I would have to talk to OS when I saw him for 6 week check-up.
I have searched all over Internet and have yet to see a scar as bad as mine.

11 July, 2016 LTKR
29 February, 2016 RTKR

Oops! Was not done LaylaHips! Accidentally pressed reply.....
The PTs assure me it will look better as time goes by, but.....I keep thinking of all the shorts, dresses and skirts that are in my closet that probably will not be worn if scar doesn't improve. I wore shorts with first scar because it blends in and is barely visible. The new one, however, looks like a Frankenstein scar! So, so bummed over it.
On the positive side, the internal work on my knee was great! My swelling is down, I can sleep on my side and on my tummy! Feels so great not to stuck sleeping on my sore back.
I got on my recumbent bike and was able to do full rotations, so I'm going to start at 5 minutes a day and increase it from there. At the 4th month from RTKR, I was doing ten miles a day in 40 minutes on that bike. Can't wait to do the same with this one!
How are you doing with your knee? Is it sore and swollen? Is this why you are taping yours?

11 July, 2016 LTKR
29 February, 2016 RTKR

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
MaxiHound
Recent bookmarks

Latest posts

Back