Watch 2020 JRAD Videos

THR Sunshine68's Pre-Op thread

Sunshine68

Country
United States United States
Hi all! I am in my early 50s fulltime employed nd I am scheduled for right anterior hip surgery on June 25th in a Outpatient setting! Am I nervous you bet! but my Ortho told me he had just had his hip done last year and was back doing surgery in 3 weeks! I am most nervous about anesthesia, my preop is June 18th! Good luck to all! :) :-) (:

Hip4life

senior
Country
Welcome to the forum. A moderator will be by with some helpful info. You’re in good company. We were all at some level of nervous or fearful but ready to be done with the pain. When I had my THR they did spinal with a lighter sedation. I’ve had other surgeries with general and I would do the spinal again in a heartbeat! When I woke up, I was totally awake, no nausea, and no pain for the first time in at least 18 months. It wears off of course, but that surgical pain is not that hip pain and you know it will be temporary. Just a little over 2 weeks and you will be on your way back to your life. Keep us posted on how you’re holding up. Blessings.

OP
OP
Sunshine68

Sunshine68

Country
Thank you for the support, i’ve read up on spinal sedation I’m sure it’s similar when I had my C-section my only concern is that I have some back issues I’m wondering if the spinal epidural will aggravate it but I guess I will ask questions at my preop to the anesthesiologist.

Celle

Country
New Zealand New Zealand
Hello @Sunshine68 - and :welome:

We do have an article here about the various types of anaesthetics:
Anaesthetics - spinals, femoral blocks, GAs and everything else

If your surgeon was back to doing surgeries at only 3 weeks post-op, he had an unusually fast recovery. Don't take his statement to mean that your recovery will be equally fast. Most people find that recovery is much slower than they expected. Complete recovery can take as long as a full year, although you will be able to do most things long before that.

I have some more information for you, too:

Longevity of implants and revisions: How long will my new joint last?

If you are at the stage where you are planning to have surgery but are looking for information so you can be better prepared for what is to come, take a look at these links:
Recovery Aids: A comprehensive list for hospital and home
Recliner Chairs: Things you need to know if buying one for your recovery
Pre-Op Interviews: What's involved?

And if you want to picture what your life might be like with a replaced hip, take a look at the posts and threads from other BoneSmarties provided in this link:
Stories of amazing hip recoveries

Jaycey

FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Administrator
Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
i’ve read up on spinal sedation I’m sure it’s similar when I had my C-section my only concern is that I have some back issues I’m wondering if the spinal epidural will aggravate it
The spinal is not like the epidural you had but the results are the same - numb from the waist down. What are your back issues. I have major lumbar spine issues and had spinal surgery many years before my first THR. I have a spinal with sedation for both THRs and had great results.

zauberflöte

alpha
Country
@Sunshine68 welcome! My OS bragged on two buddies of his, one who was playing golf at two weeks ( most interestingly, at my 2-week followup his PA said "don't do like this for a while" and demonstrated the follow through on a golf drive...), and the other who joined his colleagues in the physician dining room for breakfast the next morning. Yours must have had a whole lot of confidence in his own surgeon! And just maybe... a really good assistant for the grunt work :heehee:

First-time anaesthesia is really scary, I know. You are allowed to tell them you're nervous-- they will likely start the lala juice before you start rolling from prep anyway. Anything that happens after that, you may never remember! And if you do it will be all dreamy...

Going4fun

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
Uh ... let's see how to say this ... uh ... don't count on being up and high functioning at three weeks. I don't know why surgeons make statements like that. Your surgeon is an outlier to have a recovery that fast.

There is a nationally famous anterior-approach surgeon in my area ... and he operated on a partner surgeon. The partner surgeon returned to work in seven weeks. But even that pace isn't one you want to assume will happen.

Hip recoveries take time, doesn't really matter the approach. There are some people. like your surgeon, who have super-fast recoveries. All of those folks seem to write about it and tell all their friends and all of us prepping for surgery remember those kinds of amazing recoveries, hoping and dreaming ours will follow.

I hope you feel great at three weeks. You might feel great at three weeks and ready to return to a lot of activity. I'm saying don't count on that and to know that a longer recovery is more typical. The anesthesia is not really something to worry about.

Last edited:

GrannyC

post-grad
Country
I agree with all the above posts. The main thing to keep in mind is that everyone’s recovery is different. In fact they can be very different. So despite the fact your surgeon said he was back doing surgeries in 3 weeks, that doesn’t necessarily mean you will be back to full activity in 3 weeks. Another point is that your body will have undergone some major trauma so although you may feel like you can do anything first thing in the morning, it is very possible you will tire more quickly initially as your body is expending so much energy on the healing. This is all normal but a reminder that we are not totally recovered. After a couple months I felt I actually had more energy than I had prior to surgery. I hadn’t realized the strain all that pain put on my body prior to surgery.

You will be fine with your 12 year old son there but I’d recommend giving him a bit of guidance prior to your surgery. Explain the importance of his help so he feels quite important which he is. Tell him you’ll need to take meds at certain times and you need him to help you remember. Set up a paper with the schedule and have him write down when you take the meds. Sometimes we have a bit of brain fog for a week or so as a result of anesthesia, even the spinal anesthesia. I needed help getting my operated leg onto the bed for a couple days even though they had shown me how to do it at the hospital. He might now be great at the cooking part so some meals made ahead and frozen might make things easier. I also got a few cans of high protein Ensure and took one each day for a few days to be sure I was getting enough nutrition. I had my husband here but he wasn’t much of a cook. A bag for your walker is useful for carrying things with you - meds, phone, drink, snack, etc.

You seem quite well organized so I feel sure you’ll make out just fine. Keep us posted and be sure to ask any questions you might have. Sending positive wishes your way.

leejaa

Forum Advisor
Country
@Sunshine68, just wanted to send best wishes for your surgery tomorrow. I hope all goes well and you have a smooth recovery with great pain control.

Layla

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
Best Wishes today! Wishes for an uneventful surgery and well managed pain as you begin healing. I’ll look forward to following your recovery on the bright side as soon as you’re ready to join us there.
See you there soon! :SUNsmile:
@Sunshine68

OP
OP
Sunshine68

Sunshine68

Country
Havent been on in awhile, My surgery has been postponed because my insurance company denied the procedure! saying it was medically unnecessary and there was not enough description on the x-ray!! My surgeon submitted an appeal and i will not know the result until July 10th1 :chinstroke:. So frustrating!!

Layla

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
Oh No! So very sorry. You mentally prepare and then a big let down. I hope you receive good news on July 10th and wish you comfort while you wait. Please keep us posted.
@Sunshine68

leejaa

Forum Advisor
Country
I am so sorry for your delay. How frustrating. I am sure with an appeal from your OS it will go through.

New

Active Antibacterial

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
LauraP2016
Recent bookmarks

Top Bottom