BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Joint Replacement Patient Advocacy
and Online Community

Shopping on Amazon Prime Day July 15-16?

Make purchases through smile.amazon and Amazon will donate a portion of your purchase amount to BoneSmart!

Sign up at Smile.amazon.com and indicate our parent organization, The Foundation for the Advancement in Research in Medicine, Inc. All of the donation funds received from Amazon purchases are transferred to BoneSmart to help keep us up and running.

[THR] Summer 2019 THR Recovery

Discussion in 'Hip Replacement Recovery Area' started by ElleBelle, Jun 17, 2019.

1. ElleBelle

ElleBelle new member

United States United States
    Hello! I had a LTHR (anterior approach) on June 4th and am home recovering. Things have been quite well, but I do have to say I am so happy to have come across this forum. It’s so helpful to know that I’m not crazy given all of the questions ie.. “I wonder if this is normal? I hope it won’t be like this forever. What if I’m allergic to the implant etc....” that seem to be forever on my mind. The articles I’ve read on the forum thus far have been really helpful as well.
    A couple of things that have been bothersome to me is the burning in my thigh area when that muscle is activated or stretched (which does seem to be getting better), muscle spasms at night only in my left thigh, and I have a bit of a sharp pain at times when walking in my groin area. At around a week post op I felt SO good and I think I may have overdid it with walking and my prescribed exercises. Now I’m being super cautious and am nervous I’m being too protective of it. I’m sleeping okay. I’m not a back sleeper but am not able to comfortably sleep on my side or stomach yet. The inability to participate in my usual activities is getting me a little down and the other day I found myself sobbing over nothing. I’m so fortunate to be in a position to be able to have a hip replacement and have a great support system and surgical team I don’t feel good about having those “whoa is me” moments. That’s all for now...signing off. ✌

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  2. Layla

Layla FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

Welcome to BoneSmart. :welome: Thanks for joining us. Congrats on your new hip!

The Recovery Guidelines below will address the concerns you mentioned above. If you're not up to reading them all at once, pay special attention to the following first because they have to do with concerns you've mentioned -
    The Activity Progression for THR - to help keep your activity in check in these early weeks.
    Post Op Blues - to explain your low mood.
    Icing - for the pain you mentioned.
    I'd start with those then work your way through the rest.
    Stop back often. We're here for support and encouragement anytime you feel the need.
    Happy Healing!

Hip Recovery: The Guidelines
    1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
    2. Control discomfort:
    rest
    elevate
    ice
    take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​
    3. Do what you want to do BUT
    a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
    b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.
    4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these
    5. At week 4 and after you should follow this
    6. Access to these pages on the website

Pain management and the pain chart
    Healing: how long does it take?
    Chart representation of THR recovery

Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
    Energy drain for THRs
    Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key

Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it

Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
    Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask the at each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice. @ElleBelle

Last edited: Jun 17, 2019
  3. Layla

Oops...wanted to leave this info also -
    Some info on Magnesium to consider if the spasms don't ease soon -

Magnesium supports the following:
    Bone health
    Healthy blood sugar
    Cardiovascular health
    Muscle relaxation and nerves
    Promotes healthy sleep (falling asleep and staying asleep)

An article on Magnesium -
    https://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/magnesium-is-a-star.20301/

Lastly, an article on side laying / sleeping -
    http://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/thr-laying-on-my-back-when-can-this-be-done.32099/

Hope to see you again soon! :wave:
    @ElleBelle

• Like Like x 1
  4. Debru4

Debru4 graduate

Those first few weeks are like a roller coaster ride. Things pop up and then settle down. Then something new comes up.......and so it goes. I really appreciated having a safe space here on the forum to share those concerns and ask my questions. I also did call my surgeon's office a couple of times with questions I still had or couldn't stop worrying about. They were great about it. I think the key is reaching out and not letting our worries build up.

Our bodies go through a major trauma with the replacement, and even with epidurals or conscious sedation, our entire systems still are impacted. Plus there is a cumulative effect of all of the time spent beforehand in pain and worry, then the trauma of the surgery itself, following by the intense recovery the first couple weeks. And then, we start the longer term recovery.

It's a lot to take in. We feel helpless and frankly, there were a couple days when I was so miserable I actually was whining about how if I'd know how awful I would feel after the surgery I might not have had it. Obviously I didn't mean it, but it's impossible to ever know ahead of time how you will feel after a procedure, and so it takes awhile to adjust and be able to go/flow with it! I hope you start feeling better each and every day.....baby steps. It was right about 2 weeks that I felt a big improvement in my mood as well as my hip! :loveshwr:

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 2
  5. mikeycat

mikeycat senior

Canada Canada
    It's all normal I can say. I was whining before almost didn't do it and I am a very independent person and the thought of having to be 'taken care of' was driving me to almost cancelling.I am 18 days post op BTHR and I still say and question.I found that the oxycodone was making me weepy and I,m not that type of person. I am no longer on it just advil. Take heart all things pass you'll see yup and I will too.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  6. Eman85

Eman85 post-grad

You're most likely quite a ways from returning to your normal activities. That's the thing about this THR deal, as soon as you start feeling good you start trying to do more. Then you start hurting and you get mentally down and rest and ice get depressed. Then you start feeling better and guess what? You'll start doing more and you'll start hurting and the cycle repeats.
    Diet is very important to this recovery. Plenty of water will help your muscles heal and flush out the bad stuff. Besides it gives you more walking back and forth to the bathroom and keeps you regular. Bananas will help with muscle cramps.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  7. ElleBelle

ElleBelle new member

Good morning....I’m struggling a bit and feeling some anxiety. I’ll be 4 weeks post op this coming Tuesday and I’ve had a bit of a set back I think. The burning in my thigh has dissipated and I’m not having the muscle spasms as I was a couple of weeks ago. I was feeling GREAT; I actually thought I was moving closer to not needing my cane and then bam - I started having pain a few days ago, intermittent, in my groin/upper thigh area to the right of my incision (anterior approach to give you an idea of where my incision is). Last night walking to bed was super difficult with my cane and this morning I opted to use my walker. The activities that may have contributed to this were: super lightweight leg presses at the PT appt. last Tuesday, bending down to tie my own shoe, and bending over to pick stuff up from the floor. I also did some light cleaning yesterday. When I bent down to tie my shoe last Wednesday I felt a sudden twinge of pain in my upper thigh groin area. Maybe I pulled a muscle? I’m so worried about tendinitis. Im also icing every couple of hours, taking Tylenol every 6 hours, and am still on my prescribed anti inflammatory, and 5 mg of oxycodone at night. I walk every hour - minimally around the house but usually outside through the yard ( gives me a chance to look at our flower garden - which I’m desperate to plant in ☹️). I’m so bummed, and on top of that I’m going a bit stir crazy.

• Friendly Friendly x 2
  8. Layla

Hi ElleBelle,
    One month post op is prime time for cabin fever to set in. Getting outside helps, even if it's just sitting outdoors in the sunshine taking in the sights and sounds of nature, taking a car ride for a quick lunch or dinner somewhere. Or coffee with a friend or neighbor. Anything to serve as a distraction for a time and ease the boredom. You may have a touch of the Post Op Blues also -
    http://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/post-op-blues-is-a-reality-be-prepared-for-it.7591/

I'm sorry you're dealing with pain. It definitely sounds like you've entered the ODIC (Over Did It Clib) with the activty you described. I'd stop all of that and ice for 40-60 mins, no less, several times per day. The forum nurse often recommends Extra Strength Tylenol at 1000 mg every 6 hrs, not to exceed 4000 mg within any 24 hr period. Any other meds you're taking that contain Acetaminophen must be calculated into the 4000 mg you're cautioned not to exceed. I'd back off from any exercising or PT until you're no longer in pain. Then begin to ease back slowly. Here's the Big Tip from the Recovery Guidelines in case you haven't had a chance to get through it all -

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

Hopefully with some icing and rest you'll bounce back quickly. Wishing you comfort in the interim. :console2:
    @ElleBelle

• Like Like x 1
  9. ElleBelle

ElleBelle new member

@Layla, thanks for the advice. Eases my anxiety a bit and I will definitively be sitting outside a bit today to enjoy the garden and some nature. My PT said not to ice more than 20 min a day every other hour or so - something about if you ice too long too much blood gets directed to the iced area etc... can you speak to that?

Also, would you be able to change the name of my thread to ‘Summer 2019 THR recovery’ ?

Thanks so much.

• Friendly Friendly x 2
  10. Jaycey

Jaycey SUPER MODERATOR Moderator

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    I would estimate this is the activity that caused that flare in your pain. At only a month out leg presses are just not required. You are not in training - your hip is healing.
    sorry but icing for only 20 minutes does absolutely nothing. Icing is needed to help reduce both internal and external swell - which causes pain. Your PT is not making any sense - you want blood to flow to the iced area to aid in healing. Ice for 45 - 60 minutes several times per day. I think you will find it quickly eases all that soreness you are feeling.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  11. Debru4

Debru4 graduate

Reading your post brought to mind a thought I have had often since my replacement 11 months ago. My surgeon advised against PT---said it wasn't necessary for hips and could do more harm than good. I didn't quite know what to make of that, as I'd done PT following a back surgery 10 years ago and it was helpful, and had also done PT for shoulder and elbow pain.

My first post on this forum was asking about whether my surgeon was correct in saying hips didn't need PT. Most people agreed with him, although there were a few that had had positive PT experiences and spoke in support of it. I did not do PT and was incredibly lucky to recover quite quickly by simply walking and resuming my daily life activities.

Multiple times while reading others' posts on the forum I have read cases like yours where the PT has different advice than the surgeon, or the forum members/advisors on here. I feel lucky I didn't have any conflicts/discrepency in the information I was given, since I didn't do PT. Having done it before, I know a person develops a relationship with the physical therapist and that is an important part of the treatment. I also know that PTs have strong feelings about the need for exercise as a tool for recovery. They are committed to their work which is understandable. In your situation, you might want to ease up/take a break from PT and see if it helps---so many folks have reported lessening of pain symptoms when they reduced or eliminated some of their PT or gym exercises during recovery.

The icing idea that is supported on this forum, saying you need longer periods of icing was new to me. I typically have hated icing in my life, and realize I never iced long enough to make a difference. When I began icing for longer periods of time it made a huge difference. You might want to try it and see if it helps you too. Best of luck to you as you navigate these first few weeks of recovery.:flwrysmile:

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  12. HipsterKat

HipsterKat member

I agree. Made a huge difference for me too.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  13. Layla

Hi ElleBelle! :wave:
    I hope you began feeling better over the course of the week.
    Summer is flying by. It seems once we pass the 4th of July it disappears.
    Hope you're able to enjoy and make the best of it as you're healing.
    Wishing you a happy weekend!
    @ElleBelle

14. ElleBelle

ElleBelle new member

Hi... thank you @Layla, @Debru4, @HipsterKat, and @Jaycey....all of your posts were so reassuring and empowering. I’m so grateful for this forum. I am feeling better after a week of just taking it easy and simply listening to my body and walking, and icing ALOT more. Prior to my surgery my NP explained to me that recovery after a hip replacement can be a roller coaster of emotions and I remember thinking I’m good... won’t be an issue. Boy was I wrong... having so much time on my hands (which I’m nit used to) and spending a lot of time in my head has definitely proven to be quite emotional. I will say that it’s been good for me to slow down and sit with myself. Good but challenging - if that makes sense. Anyway, again my deepest gratitude for helping me through this. I’m not one for groups or forums etc... but this has proven to be so good for me.

• Friendly Friendly x 2
  15. Layla

Hi again,
    In reading your post I realized it's was exactly a month for you yesterday. Happy One Month Anniversary!
    It's great you're feeling better and that you've found comfort and reassurance here. We understand, we've been there. Stop back often, we'll be here and we care.:wave:
    @ElleBelle

• Friendly Friendly x 1