THR Sulliy in Recovery

Sulliy

Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Hi everyone well it’s done thank goodness, I was sick after and still feel like it ,they have given me anti sickness drugs , I’m very stiff and in a lot of pain is this normal ? Struggling to get off the bed also my Wound under the dressing is red and I’ve got a temperature has anyone suffered with this my doctor said not to worry yet and to keep on eye on the redness hope everyone else is ok after their surgery on the 30th

Attachments

• BF40BECE-8366-47F0-B132-3E3FC10E6C0D.jpeg
    BF40BECE-8366-47F0-B132-3E3FC10E6C0D.jpeg
    6.9 KB · Views: 355
:hi:
A low grade temp is normal and things are rather distressed at this point and bound to be red.

Try not to worry, and beat a drum if you feel like pain is not well managed.
All temporary, dear @Sulliy
We are sending healing vibes your way and this is All Temporary!
Glad to see you on the Healing Side.
:console2:

Hi and welcome to the recovery side of things! I had a low grade temperature for several days, maybe even into the second week and was told that was all normal. It's our body revving up to help us heal.
Red tissues, swollen tissues, bruising- it's all part of the process. It looks like they have marked the area to watch your area of redness so that is a good sign that they are taking things very seriously.
That's such a positive thing too!

Happy New Year hippie friend and remember to ice, ice and ice! I hope you get some good rest tonight and things seem brighter in the morning.
Getting off and onto the bed will be a challenge for a while longer. I think that was one of the hardest parts to the early days for me. Then one day, all of a sudden it wasn't hard to do anymore.

Congratulations! You made it to your surgery date and now you are actively healing.. you did it!

@Sulliy Welcome to the other side. You will notice I started a recovery thread for you. Please keep all your updates and questions on this thread so that we have your history in one place. If you would like the title of your thread changed just give a shout.

Here are your recovery guidelines:
Hip Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​
3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you​
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​
4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of this BoneSmart philosophy for sensible post op therapy
5. Here is a week-by-week guide for Activity progression for THRs
6. Access these pages on the website

Pain management and the pain chart
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of THR recovery

Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

@Sulliy welcome over to the healing side, glad you're here. I agree with @CricketHip about the getting in and out of bed. Something about those first few days, think it was the anesthesia for me. Then poof, like magic, things were responding like they were supposed to.

Hoping you get to go home soon if you're not already there. It just seems so much easier at home and is definitely more peaceful! Wishing you a great start to your new hip and this new year!
:wave: :welome:

Hello :wave: @Sulliy
Welcome to Recovery, a new year and a new decade ALL with a new hip!

Many do have a temperature during the early days of recovery. It can be a normal response by the body to the stress of surgery. It is most often caused by inflammatory response to the tissue injury sustained during surgery. Please take comfort in the reassurance your care team has offered as it appears they are monitoring you closely, given the black Sharpie markings, so take a deep breath and relax.

Stiffness and pain are certainly normal given your body has just endured a controlled trauma. I hope they've provided you with ice as it's a great pain reliever in addition to it's benefit in reducing swelling.

As far as getting your leg on and off the bed, it becomes easier as the swelling and sensation of heaviness (Log Leg) begin easing. In the meantime you can use the aid of a leg lifter (the assistive device that looks like you're walking an invisible dog) or even easier, a belt from a bath robe which I believe you refer to as a dressing gown (?) in the U.K.

Wishing you comfort and hope your sleep is sweet. Stay in touch, I look forward to following your healing journey.

Congratulations on being on this side of the recovery process. My surgery was on the 26th, and while I am still tired (a lot), I'm moving better and much less pain now (just stiff and sore). I'm still on pain meds tho, Tylenol alternating with Ibuprofen. Of course, this is after you are done with the intense post-op pain where you need more that the OTC stuff. Just want to give you encouragement that it will get better, even within a few days or a week. Make sure you are staying ahead of the pain, don't let it get to the point where it is really bad. I'm sure you're on a good pain med schedule, but that part is really important.

I was pretty down yesterday, but had a big "vent" session with my hubby about a lot of mostly little things that were bugging me and then felt much better. Your body is going through a lot and your brain too. Crying, being foggy, feeling down, it's all normal.

Good luck and hope the pain gets better soon!

Happy New Year and happy new hip! All seems normal for your new surgery. Be patient and good to yourself: icing, elevating, pain meds, balancing moving and resting. The marking of the area of redness is a smart and common thing in patient care. It helps everyone keep a watchful eye. Don’t worry if you feel “out of sorts” for a while. Major surgery and healing take a lot of energy. You’ll get there. Sending healing blessings your way. Keep us posted. ❤️

Thank you for your lovely comforting words I’m on a ward with 3 amazing ladies I feel a bit stiffer today on my bum but I have my meds well under control and lucky for me I knew a fair bit about ups and downs and the meds I’m teaching the others , so thank you for that advice also I’m looking forward to getting home to start icing packing it as we haven’t had the chance here happy new year to my new hippy friends x

Happy 2020 @Sulliy Sounds like you came through surgery in great shape. It will improve with a little time. :flwrysmile:

I am 7 days out today and moving easier. Still dealing with swollen leg and foot (gravity) but off hard drugs. Yesterday was my first emotional day. Got overtired from standing too long in the kitchen. I say all this to let you know there are a lot of us bunched at the end of December. We can help each other through these early days. Hope you improve each day and that your low grade fever starts the healing in there that needs to take place. Sending warm wishes.

also I’m looking forward to getting home to start icing packing it as we haven’t had the chance here happy new year to my new hippy friends x

Congrats on your new hip @Sulliy... first few days can be really tough. Not sure why you haven't had the chance to ice while on a ward. As soon as they moved me from the recovery room to my room I asked the nurse to bring me a pack of ice. It helps a lot.

Hi everyone I’m now home thank you very tired , walked stairs and did physio , I was able to use ice and it felt great too glad to be home k x

Glad you are home...Hope you have a helper so you can catch up on your icing.:ice::ice::ice:
Big healing hugs....sleep all you can and take your meds religiously. All Temporary, friend.

Totally agree with what @Mojo333 says! It awesome you are home, it seems so much easier for me to deal with recovery when I'm home. At home you can get up when you want, sleep (uninterrupted) when you want, etc! :wave: :ice:

Hi everyone well first night at home I slept in the recliner as I just couldn’t in bed I tried but because my back is so sore, I can get up and cope with recliner this morning I felt rough as at 6 I needed painkillers and to get up for a wee , which I did the roc lady came checked my blood pressure , exercise and wound all ok so she’s signed me off very please with me so far , can I ask is it normal when you walk with the op Leg that it feels longer or is it just me ? I know I just need to build up my confidence but it feels so strange any advice would be very much appreciate, how is everyone else getting on ? I hope you are all doing well I’m so glad to be this side of recovery it’s just been a hard one as my grandfather passed away last night and my cousin has been rushed to hospital it always seems to happen at this time of year , my grandfather was 96 and it was peaceful but it is sad and I really feel for my grandma she will be totally lost without him x

can I ask is it normal when you walk with the op Leg that it feels longer or is it just me ?
Most new hippies report this feeling. The good news is that in most cases the feeling just disappears. Give it at least 3-4 months but I'll bet this eases before that time.

Good Afternoon @Sulliy
I'm so sorry to read of the loss of your grandfather :console2:
I hope all of the wonderful memories of him you have stored in your heart bring you comfort in the days and weeks to come. What a long life he lived! He was certainly blessed in that way and if I may assume your grandmother is around the same age, they both were blessed. Hopefully the attention and care she receives from all of you who love her sustains her until she rejoins her beloved again one day. Sending wishes for your comfort both physically and emotionally as you process the grief of your loss and begin your recovery journey.

The leg length differential as it's refered to occurs because, before surgery you were most likely compensating for your hip pain by tilting your pelvis to put more weight on your good leg. Doing so becomes a learned posture becoming entrenched in your mind / body. Actually both legs are the same length and over a period of a few months as Jaycey shared above, the posture will correct itself or can be helped along in the right direction through the guidance of a knowledgeable PT.

Wishing you comfort and a peaceful day.
Hugs

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jamie
    Staff member since Feb, 2009

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
HikerWalker