TKR Suggestions needed for “tight band” feeling

@Pumpkln: thanks SO MUCH!! Will give these a good read! Does what I described (above) sound typical to you for roughly 8 mos out?

In my experience, if it's tendonitis rest and no squats (as you said you're not doing) are the way to go. That can take weeks. Once it settles down, gently and carefully increase activity and stop if it gets worse.

@kneeper: Tks! That all sounds reasonable...and do-able. I’m actually pressing my dr to figure out WHAT is causing my pain/tightness by ordering any necessary tests (ultrasound etc). First thing he wants is a blood test. I think he’s checking for inflammation.

I saw my doctor and he ordered a new xray, bloodwork, and new ultrasound. Xray was "perfect", no infection, and unfortunately the ultrasound showed my tendon is still inflamed to 5x its normal size. They can't really do a MRI because the metal distorts the image.

The radiologist suggested I ask about acupuncture, Grafton technique, and PRP injections for the tendinitis. None of these are possible right now, but you might want to check with your doctor about those if its tendinitis.

I'll let you know if I hear other ideas.

@Daneez: Tks for telling me all this!! When was your surgery? Mine was Aug. 2, so almost 9 mos out. I will get blood drawn some time next week. A bit scared bc there’s no social distancing w/that. Have had 2 x rays that also looked “perfect.” :):nah:(Good and bad emoji!). He ruled out mri so I guess it’s just bloodwork and ultrasound. What is the Grafton technique? I checked out PRP injections but was told BEFORE surgery that I wasn’t a candidate; also it’s pricey (abt $900 out of pocket). My husband’s been bugging me to try acupuncture but obviously can’t do that now...plus I’m skeptical as to helpfulness. Check w/the moderators...I DO think you can get an MRI! I will post what my bloodwork and hopefully ultrasound show. I’ve been on generic Celebrex for abt 1 1/2 weeks (or is it 2, I’ve lost track of time being cooped up)! Do they have you on an anti inflammatory? What are they doing to help w/your inflammation? I’d be interested in knowing. I’m scared on having to have a revision where they have to go back in. Hope you feel better!!

@Daneez: could that technique be called the Graston technique (not Grafton)? I can’t find anything called Grafton...

It's Graston. They tried that on me for supposed "scar tissue" on my quad area. (I think it was actually tendonitis). It was painful. I don't think it helped. Rest, mild stretching (maybe some self massage) and gradually resuming more activity seemed to help.

When was your surgery?
If you look at the bottom of every post in the small letters you'll see the surgery dates.
surgery date.png

@sistersinhim: hmm I don’t see that on Daneez’s post like where you circled it on the bottom of mine. To see it do I have to go to Daneez’s thread?

@sistersinhim: hmm I don’t see that on Daneez’s post like where you circled it on the bottom of mine. To see it do I have to go to Daneez’s thread?
I am always using my phone when I’m on Bonesmart. To see someone’s signature I have to rotate my phone.

That is the location of everyone's surgical information, not just Daneez's. Look at your own post. You'll see it there. Some people have lots of surgeries listed and some have only one. That doesn't matter. That's where everyone's surgery info is located so everybody can see it.

Yes, my surgery was Nov. 5, 2019. Sorry for the confusion on Graston Technique- I meant to double check spelling but forgot. It does sound painful!

For anti-inflammatory, I'm doing ibuprophen now but I don't see much benefit. I've also been on Diclofenac. Doctor said indomethacin often works best for tendinitis but it can be hard on the stomach. Unfortunately I took one pill and had terrible stomach pain so I needed to discontinue.

Mostly I'm using ice machine through the night and ice packs/elevation during the day.

I have a televisit with another surgeon on Wednesday so I'm hoping there's some new ideas.

@sistersinhim: curiously, I’ve been using Diclofenac topical GEL on and off for months. I don’t think it really helps, but it isn’t bothering me. Is this the same medicine but in a different form?

I took the 20mg pills, 1 a day. My prescription was for 2. Thank God I didn't take that much of it! I also have the gel, but found it did nothing for my pain. Now, I have to take the pill about 2X a week just to keep my quality of life better, since I have arthritis in other joints. The Diclofenac won't help with surgical pain. It's for inflammation only.

@Daneez: you are lucky a different dr will see you, even remotely. Here in the US, I have to wait a YEAR before a different dr at a different practice will see me. It’s been a long wait. I FINALLY have an appt for August. Sigh.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom