TKR Suggestions needed for “tight band” feeling

@Jockette: let me see how to upload a pic! The “3 x 10” means that I spend 10 mins in it 3 x/day. It is a bit uncomfortable but not too bad! It’s not a very sophisticated piece of equipment...just dense styrofoam w/2 straps w/Velcro. I’ll upload a pic from the printed instructions that came w/it, too.

I DO credit my PT w/helping me get to where I am now ROM wise (and “flatness” wise). That said, tho...at abt 6 or 7 weeks, I was sitting on the edge of the table w/the PT pushing my knee back. He wanted me to do better. He pushed so hard that I thought I was going to faint and I burst out crying. Cried the entire way home, too. And then I got mad, said that I’d never permit that again. I didn’t know any better and thought that I had to go thru pain to improve.
Quite honestly, I think your PT is probably responsible for the problems you have. Forcing your knee to bend like that would have inflamed and irritated your knee. On top of that,.he now has you using a splint to straighten your knee. That's quite unnecessary and it's also adding to the inflammation.
I bet he also told you that you had to work hard at your exercises, which is wrong.

I don't think you have adhesions. I think that you have a knee that has been so upset by rough treatment that it now has a chronic inflammation of your soft tissues. Your PT has contributed to that.

It could take a long time for that inflammation to settle down, but you do need to continue to rest, ice and elevate it, and cut back severely on all the things that are irritating your knee, because the tightness and stiffness won't go away until your knee is calmer.

In spite of what your PT said, there's no need to rush to get ROM (Range of Motion) because it can continue to improve for a year, or even much longer, after a knee replacement. There isn't any deadline you have to meet:
Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR

I'm sure I've told you that before, but it does bear repeating.

The “3 x 10” means that I spend 10 mins in it 3 x/day. It is a bit uncomfortable but not too bad! It’s not a very sophisticated piece of equipment...just dense styrofoam w/2 straps w/Velcro.
I don’t need a picture, now, you described it very well.

I totally agree with everything Celle said.

@Celle: As time goes on, I have wondered the same thing re the PT. It was my dr that has me using the “3 x 10” to straighten my leg bc I have a limp (I think I’m limping bc of the tightness). I’m now coming into week 4 of no exercise at the gym. Doing a lot of RICE!

This is an interesting set of posts as I was going to ask @stiffkneeNC actually as I had a partial knee replacement in April, it was just my kneecap done. However I am still getting this tight knee thing seems more so since it has got colder any idea, not as bad I guess as in earlier months but it is there nevertheless. As I am now 8 months I do hope my knee is ok and that I haven't done anything wrong especially as my allotted physio sessions have ended apart from me doing them at home.

You're limping because your knee can't straighten fully yet. That's all.

The best way to help with that is to slightly increase the length of your stride as you walk, so that your leg is stretched gently with each step you take. Try to walk with a heel -> toe stride, as shown in this picture;
heel-toe-gait.jpg

@Helizabug: I concur about time. I’m 19 weeks out. Some days it seems like about 2 weeks ago...and other times it seems like 9 or 10 mos! I don’t want to wish my life away, but i’ll be excited to see how I’m feeling at the 1 yr mark. Hope you are feeling better and better each day...

@gothgirl1: I would suggest you ask one of the moderators (Celle or Jockette)...I’m way too early in recovery (19 weeks) to be able to offer any suggestions on tightness. Only that I still have it nearly every day (w/accompanying pain)! I’m in the recliner a lot w/pillows piled up and the ice machine humming along! I would say that I’m not noticing any extra tightness in the cold weather (it hasn’t been too cold in NC so far this winter). I hope you are feeling better each day!

yes couldu put a picture of the sleeve. thank you

Stiffknee....what is the purpose of the sleeve? Is it helping?

@Starsfan22: the knee sleeve IS helping! I got it from the PT (you probably saw where I wrote earlier that he cut a foot-long length of it). He gave it to me to help w/ “sensitive” areas that I had early on on the inside of my knee (I couldn’t stand to have a sheet or even my nightgown touch my skin at that place; it was a VERY weird situation!). Fortunately the 3 areas that were sensitive have all resolved. I wear the sleeve now for support...I can stand a bit longer w/minimal tightness when I wear it. I tried to upload a photo but bc I’m not techy, it didn’t upload. I will try to see if I can find instructions somewhere...

@judgar: will try to figure out how to upload a photo of it! I got a “security” message the 2 times I tried to post!

@Starsfan22, @judgar: also a massage therapist suggested a compression stocking from compressionstocking.com (might be called compressionstockings.com) brand is called cep. I ordered a size 5 at 20-30 compression...it’s too uncomfortable...I may reorder in a lesser compression.

@Celle, @Jockette: pls see my photo above w/the knee sleeve that I’ve been wearing. Can you advise what the material is and if there’s another name/more accurate description of what it’s called? THANKS!!!

I’ve seen that stretchy fabric but I don’t know what it’s called. I have not worn any kind of compression once I was allowed to take off the ones I got in the hospital.

@Celle: for my limp, my dr also suggested to fill a gallon jug of water and put it in a grocery bag and hang it off my ankle while laying on my stomach on the bed. Thoughts on this?

@Celle: for my limp, my dr also suggested to fill a gallon jug of water and put it in a grocery bag and hang it off my ankle while laying on my stomach on the bed. Thoughts on this?
Absolutely not! We don’t recommend any weights in this recovery and a gallon of water is way too heavy! This will cause you a huge amount of pain.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie
Recent bookmarks
Back