TKR Suggestions needed for “tight band” feeling

@NewToMe: excellent strategy! When did you have surgery? Mine has been ok in the am but as I zip around doing errands, in and out of the car, and STANDING, it gets tighter and tighter. I spend a LOT of time in the recliner, icing and elevating. If I could just put wheels on it...:heehee:

My surgeon is a big advocate of riding your stationary bike for 5 minutes every morning, and doing any exercise early in the day. That way your knee has the "important" and "heavy" stuff out of the way. I tend to be a late afternoon/evening exerciser/stretcher, and he thinks my knee will be less angry/swollen if I move everything to earlier in the day. I don't work full-time, so it's doable for me----I'm sure others may not have that option.

Stiff Knee NC, added more bike exercises, very little and did ok. This weekend I overdid it with cake baking then grand daughters birthday party. So much pain after party. Knee pain is more soreness than any other pain. I'm thinking this is progress because with rest I recover, only to overdo and repeat setback. It amazes me how little it takes to create pain in my 4 mo. old knee. Depressing is an understatement.

@Stiff knee NC TKR Sept 13, MUA on Nov 13.

Like @Rockgirl4 , I get more out of my knee if I do exercises in morning and really pay attention so I don't stand to much! When I do that I pay for it!

Going back to work on Friday, so I "get" to wake up to alarm to figure out a morning routine that has "go to work" in it. Shower is good, but adding the standing for hair and make up without a break is harder.

Listen to the knee! Go easy!

@NewToMe: i’ll Keep my fingers crossed for you for a comfortable return to work! (And re standing... same for me...nearly ANY amount of standing leads to tightness/pain after that lasts for 2 days.) Curious how the MUA was...did it help? My dr has ruled it out for me.

@Starsfan22: It IS amazing (and frustrating) how a relatively short amount of time I can stand ( abt an hour) and then have pain/swelling. It’s SO easy to overdo it :sigh: I’ll get bad pain behind my kneecap and not be able to bend my knee...I’m taking a break from the gym for 2 more weeks and then will get on the bike like you did. I just heard tonight that a “recumbent” bike is easier on the knees...not sure my gym has that kind tho. Been battling the blues...this is NOT the time of year to be resting in a recliner for hours each day! Hang in there and have a good week!

The MUA was needed in my case. I actually had a visible divot, that I think was an extra stitch, where my motion was blocked. At 8 weeks my flexion was 65. I now can ride the stationary bike forwards AND backwards. :happydance:

I have dumped the cane unless walking really long distances, I will probably take it to work on first day or so until I am confident I won't fall!

I have been working standing by doing more kitchen meal prep work with Lots of sitting breaks. Helps the hubby feel like I am doing more in house.:heehee:

@Starsfan22 all it takes is to meet a neighbor on my morning walk! I start chatting, then go....oh I need to move...then it's not moving so well!:good-bad:

I just heard tonight that a “recumbent” bike is easier on the knees...not sure my gym has that kind tho
My PT suggested I bought a mini static peddler ( also known as under the desk cycle) it small so can be easily stowed away and you can use it whilst sitting on the sofa watching TV, or in a high back chair reading or even sitting at a desk working - mine is a simple and works really well I'm using it on the lowest setting and at the moment just 10 minutes twice a day.

Attachments

• 20191210_150654.jpg
    20191210_150654.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 244
Are you still swollen. I am my don’t go down at all. The tight feeling it much better but still swollen. My other knee did not do this.i know every knee is different

@Sara61: what an interesting piece of equipment! Tks for sending a pic!!! Is it helping? Do you mind if I ask where you got it?(Amazon or ?). Expensive? I’m in the US. Between my recliner, ice machine and “3 x 10” contraption (to straighten my leg bc I’m limping a bit) my house is starting to look like a gym! What’s another piece of equipment!

@judgar: Yes, my knee is STILL very tight.18 weeks Friday since surgery. No improvement. After an hr of being on my feet, I have to rest, elevate and ice for 2 days. Did you do anything to get rid of tight feeling? When did you have your surgery?

Stiff Knee....my tight band stiffness is suddenly getting better. Still pain though and misery when standing. Hoping those will go away soon. Hope your issues resolves soon

@Starsfan22: SO HAPPY for you!!!! Thanks for this post...it really made my day! I know I’ve asked this repeatedly, but is there anything you can attribute this to? Hoping we’re both much better and the “tightness” will be a distant memory...

Bought it yesterday on my PT instructions as he feels it will loosen my stiff knees, as I use similar in the PTs facility and feel much better on the days that I'm there. Am going to start using it today for 3 sessions split into 10 minutes each- I will update you after a few days. I bought mine in Portugal at a sports outlet but many are available on Amazon (they come under the name of "under desk cycle) I like it as it's really small and compact/portable too - price wise the range from 16€ upwards mine was 45€ ( you can even get electric ones haha)

Just to update you on the mini bike- yesterday being day 1 - whilst chatting on the phone I accidentally pedalled for nearly 30 minutes ( no effort at all) I then at lunch time walked my daschund for 20 minutes so a total of 50 minutes exercise decided that was sufficient for day 1 - however I slept so well & only woke up once and funnily enough this morning I felt more flexible getting up and Mrs. knee was not so stiff.
I have PT today in the afternoon so this morning whilst watching the news I did 15 minutes ( only 77 calories lol) and it felt good - my aim is do on average 45 minutes a day non PT days at 0 resistance- however as we are going away for Xmas next week I will make a plan today with my physiotherapist as I intend to take mini bike with me - will let you know what he suggests.
Couple of pointers to consider - make sure your mini bike has pedals fairly high of the ground you don't want to hit your heels on the floor ( I always say you get what you pay for... so the really cheap models might be flimsy) also I find that I have to put mine in front of a non moving object as it slips on my floor. Also make sure the feet straps are flexible - mine aren't- Velcro strap would be good
Anyway hope this helps xx

@Sara61: you made me laugh w/the mention of an electric pedal machine! Sounds like you are off to a great start!! I’m still taking a break from exercise to let my knee heal...but am noticing NO improvement. I’m about 2 mins from my gym so I may find a bike there that’s similar to the “under the desk” model (if not, I saw some on Amazon but NOT your exact model). Tks SO MUCH for taking the time to share your info. Having a difficult day...thought by now, so close to Christmas, I would be doing better :sad:

@Sara61: for some reason the picture of your “under the desk” pedal machine isn’t showing up any more. Could you pls the post it? Tks!!!

My mini bike is middle of the range price wise - although they are all quite light in weight my PT told me today they always have to be placed touching a non moveable object - wall etc
I too loved the idea of a electric one but here they are about 200 Euros (yikes) just imagine sitting there and no force whatsoever bliss haha :bicycle1:

My physiotherapist today said it will be good in the future for my non operated knee as it too is showing signs of wear & tear ( joys of getting older lol)

His suggestion is for me to use it3 x a day on non PT days ( 15 minutes each session -if I'm not doing any other exercises / walking that day ) on resistance level 0 - the knee at 90 degrees angle for 10 minutes then to move back my chair so I get an extension for 5 minutes.

I.looked on Amazon for something similar to mine and this came up
"Wakeman portable Fitness stationary under desk. indoor exercise cycle machine "

Attachments

• 20191210_150654.jpg
    20191210_150654.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 213
Last edited:

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jamie
    Staff member since Feb, 2009
  • mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023

Forum statistics