TKR Suggestions needed for “tight band” feeling

@Rockgirl4 (Lisa): thank you x infinity for your encouragement and empathy! I had NO idea what I was getting into...and dutifully have done what my dr and PT have told me to do, which according to many Bonesmart members, I completely overdid for weeks on end (just doing what I was instructed). Then I stumbled onto Bonesmart and have heard comments like yours. I’ve stopped all exercising and “just” zip around doing errands (cough, Thanksgiving and Christmas). My dr ruled out MUA but it feels like something pulls on the outside of my left (operated on) knee. It feels like a wad of scar tissue. It has been the MOST frustrating thing I’ve had to deal with. I have a good cry weekly, the “am I ever gonna get better” lament. I hope YOU feel better soon and your flexion improves. Thanks SO MUCH for taking the time to share your story/thoughts...it really gave me a boost...and hope! ❤️

@sistersinhim: thanks to YOU, too, for your response/thoughts/reference article. I’m reading all BS comments/stories, and they encourage me and give me hope that one day I will feel better! ❤️

@Stiff knee NC You are more than welcome@@:friends: I wish I had known about Bonesmart back in 2015-2016 and could have saved myself a lot of grief after my ACI Implant surgery. Yes, it wasn't a TKR yet, but there is so much here that could have given me peace of mind and a better way of approaching things.

You mentioned the weird area on the outside of your knee that feels like a tight wad of scar tissue.....I have an area just above the knee and on the outside that burns constantly. I can't find another way to describe it. My surgeon says it's a lingering pocket of inflammation, and I agree, as it worsens after too much standing/activity, and it's an area I'm VERY familiar with from my past surgeries. He said most people have that tight band feeling, but mine appears to show up more as pain/burning. In anatomical terms, I was told it's the lateral side (outer side) of the suprapatellar pouch, which is an area of the leg that tends to retain fluid for a LONG time after knee surgery. It's a huge pain in the behind, as that area has been problematic for me after 3-4 of my past knee surgeries...but this "burning" is like nothing I've ever experienced before, so (of course!!) it set off my anxiety. It's these not-so-little things that just make us worry, worry, and worry some more.:chinstroke::flabber: I've also had issues with a super tight IT Band after most of my knee surgeries, and the IT Band runs right across this burning area.

There are just soooooo many individual aspects to this recovery based on our individual anatomy, or the state of our knees before the TKR, and how much/little each of us swells, just to name a few. I know I swell for MONTHS after a simple knee surgery, so it's no surprise I'm still having swelling/inflammation issues after something as traumatic as a TKR.

I hope you start to see some improvement soon, and please be good to yourself. Just know you're at that point in recovery where we tend to see improvement spread out across weeks instead of days....but you WILL get there. We're all still here rooting for you. :thumb::hugzz:

Stiff Knee NC.....my surgery was two days before yours. I'm right where you are, stiffness, pain, warmth, etc. Wish it was April so I could see where I'll be! Patience really is the hardest part of this recovery huh?

@Starsfan22: patience! You got that right! Yet ANOTHER person (a PT who is going to work w/me w/2 sessions of hydrotherapy) said just that today. VERY difficult....but we WILL get there! Have a great Thanksgiving (if you celebrate it)...

@Jockette, @Celle, and @sistersinhim: Wanted to share a small victory yesterday...not in my knee (sadly) but at PT. I had my third-to-last session yesterday. They had me get on the bike for 5 mins (this is usual). Then they wanted me to do the leg press (I said no, I’m not doing that) and then they wanted me to do the leg extension (again, I said I no). (Two weeks ago, at BS members’ suggestions, I told PT that I wanted to take it easy on my knee). My PT wasn’t happy, but I felt good that I stood my ground. I’m definitely going to give my knee a good month off...

Well done for standing up for yourself and your knee. :yes!::yay:
You called it a small victory, but really it's a big one. You've shown that you intend to be in charge of your recovery. I'm sure your knee will benefit.

@patient 99: I am new to BS...I actually sought out info on BS on dealing w/the “tight band” feeling I’ve been struggling with since my aug 2 surgery. Ended up seeing your comments as you recuperated from your 2013 surgery. Really glad that you are doing better...it gives me hope! Not sure you will even see this...but is there anything you wish you had done at 17 weeks...I can’t stand for more than an hr w/o my knee getting tighter and tighter. The idea of dealing w/this tightness for another year or so is depressing...would appreciate ANY suggestions...Tks in advance.

@Stiff knee NC
You'll notice that I have merged your newest post with your original recovery thread, a copy remains in TKRx2 Again's thread. For several reasons, we prefer that you only have one recovery thread:
  • That way, we have all your information in one place. This makes it easier to go back and review your history before providing advice.
  • If you keep starting new threads, you miss the posts and advice others have left for you in the old threads, and some information may be unnecessarily repeated
  • Having only one thread will act as a diary of your progress that you can look back on.
So please post any updates, questions or concerns about your recovery here. If you prefer a different thread title, just post what you want and we'll get it changed for you.

Here are the instructions on finding your thread, How can I find my threads and posts? . Many members bookmark their thread, so they can find it when they log on.

Last edited:
@Pumpkln: I’m so sorry. I thought I DID post on my original thread. Will read the info you sent.

@pumpkin: the “how to tag another member; how to answer when someone tags you” link won’t work! Ditto w/the other link!

Stiff Knee NC,
No worries it is an easy oversight to make. I have thought I was posting in one members thread, and realized it was someone else thread :shrug:.
Best think you can do is bookmark your thread in your browser so you can find it easily.

Patient 99 has not been seen since 2017. She had a long recovery with that tight band feeling that took forever to resolve. She dealt with it as best she could, and by posting here.
The thread in the Library was at her request, I am sure she would be pleased to see you have benefited from her story.

@pumpkin: I know patient 99 may never see my msg but I reached out to her the way some BS people suggested! Re the links...can you pls suggest a way for me to access? Many Tks! And re to “bookmarking,” I know how to do on my computer, but not here...(sheepish face)...sadly, not techy...

You bookmark your thread on your computer the same way you bookmark other pages you want to save.
The link does not work, because we recently upgraded to the latest Xenefro forum platform. A re write of new "how to use.... " is currently in progress.
I will update my moved thread notice to remove that link, thanks for letting me know.

@lionsm13 : Tks for your advice. I have gotten my medical records and x rays. I will go to a different practice to see when the earliest they can see me...great idea.m! What I’d like to know is why some people, after a few months, have no problem (and no tightness) standing for more than an hour, while I and many others do. What went wrong in our recuperation..or what, if anything, did we do wrong? Frustrating!

With knees one cannot generalize every person & knees are different, age / fitness pre & post surgery/weight etc, may play a role, some find the whole process easy and are fortunate to get a fast recovery others it takes longer and sadly a few aren't lucky at all.
I don't think it's anything your doing it's just your body taking the time it needs.
I too suffer from stiffness especially if I stand in one place - I have no trouble sitting /moving but just standing straight is not fun at all - with time I'm sure my legs will get stronger and standing will become easier, tightness they say can take up to one year to go away xxx

What I’d like to know is why some people, after a few months, have no problem (and no tightness) standing for more than an hour, while I and many others do. What went wrong in our recuperation..or what, if anything, did we do wrong? Frustrating!
Lots of people have trouble standing still, and it can take many months for this to improve. Similarly with the tightness.

You're still only a third of the way through this year-long recovery.
Nothing has gone wrong with your recovery and you didn't do anything wrong.

I really think you're expecting too much, too soon.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom