THR Sugar Monkey is back home with the new hip

SugarMonky

Country
United States United States
I actually got back home yesterday but didn't feel like posting. I was in surgery Monday morning and things went well.

I had a core decompression the doctor had to remove first before the THR. He even gave me a picture of my old femur head and the metal rod. What good bone that was left in the femur head was used to make a bone graft where there was still a hole from the rod. Not too big, but enough where I need to be on crutches for 4-6 weeks to make sure I don't break anything around the graft.

I wasn't sure if I could post the picture here as it is graphic and bloody. I know a lot of people don't like those kinds of things so I didn't want to ambush anyone with it.

The dog has been following me around and "helping" :D

I wonder how many have watched hip surgery on youtube? They don't leave anything out and once the initial shock is over it's quite interesting. I would hope you could post your pic, hopefully a mod will give some guidance.

Aren't dogs wonderful? They know when something isn't right, hopefully the dog isn't helping too much, lol.

Congrats on being through surgery and making it home.

Congratulations on your new hip. You certainly can post an image if you like. If it's a little on the graphic side, just keep the image reduced and not full size. That way people who want to view it will just click and enlarge it. There are a lot of inquiring minds here who would love to see what you have to post.

Oh, and by the way....here are our basic recovery articles for you:

Hip Recovery: The Guidelines

1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
elevate
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​
3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​
4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these
5. At week 4 and after you should follow this
6. Access to these pages on the website

Pain management and the pain chart
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of THR recovery

Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key

Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it

Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

So here I am a week and a half post surgery and I'm doing pretty good. I yanked my leg the other night trying to stop the dog from running out the door, but things seem to be OK (i.e. no dislocation). I've really weaned off the pain meds (down to before bed and when I get up) so things are feeling better.

On 9/25 I will have my post-surgery check up and I'm hoping I will be cleared to drive. My man has been great in driving me around but I'm really feeling the lack of independence.

Sounds like you are doing really well. I remember how scary it was if I'd trip or bump something at first---I always worried it might do some harm. Although at my 2 week exam, my surgeon said that already the hip was quite secure, and by 6 weeks he said it would take a major fall or blow to harm it, so that was reassuring. I agree that the ability to be independent and drive is a big step. It really makes one appreciate how hard it is when people have to stop driving----I don't know that I ever fully appreciated how hard that was for my parents until after my hip replacement.

Hi @SugarMonky
Getting through the bumpy first week and through the doggie scare unscathed is a start!:)
My early recovery from BTHR gave me a new empathy and appreciation for folks who have disabilities and made me so grateful that this was all temporary:tada:
Healing vibes coming your way!!!!

Morning @SugarMonky. I just seen you were here. I would like to see your pictures. Off most pain meds and looking to drive, wow is all I can say. I got good at "guiding" the cat with my cane. Cats seem to expect you to walk around them. Keep on keeping on and take care.

Hello @SugarMonky :wave:
Yanking your leg while trying to stop the dog from running out the door sounds a bit frightening.
Thankfully you're okay.
Best of luck at your appointment next Wednesday. I hope you get the release to drive.
Having that independence again feels so great initially.
Wishing you a wonderful weekend!

I can relate to (as can most of us here, I'm sure) being apprehensive about doing any kind of movement that might jeopardize our new hip. When I'm with our dogs, one of which is a yellow lab and quite excitable, I am extra cautious about keeping her super gyrating body away from my hip. Kinda scary! I'm reassured by what your doc said about your hip being secure at the 2 week mark. I'm at 4, so thanks for the heads up on that. I still think getting out on the pickleball courts may be a bit premature at this point. LOL Geez, I can't imagine a fall this soon in my recovery, so I will be a really good girl and sit on the sidelines a bit longer.

Have a glorious weekend.

Last edited by a moderator:

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
MrsFeinbe
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom