BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Joint Replacement Patient Advocacy
and Online Community
  1. Announcing BoneSmart's NEW Joint Surgeon Locator tool

We are pleased to now offer a tool to help you find just the right surgeon for your needs. If your surgeon is not listed, please let us know and we'll get them added.

Read more about this in this announcement:

Dismiss Notice

[THR] Sugar Monkey is back home with the new hip

Discussion in 'Hip Replacement Recovery Area' started by SugarMonky, Sep 11, 2019 at 11:14 AM.

1. SugarMonky

SugarMonky junior member

United States United States
    I actually got back home yesterday but didn't feel like posting. I was in surgery Monday morning and things went well.

I had a core decompression the doctor had to remove first before the THR. He even gave me a picture of my old femur head and the metal rod. What good bone that was left in the femur head was used to make a bone graft where there was still a hole from the rod. Not too big, but enough where I need to be on crutches for 4-6 weeks to make sure I don't break anything around the graft.

I wasn't sure if I could post the picture here as it is graphic and bloody. I know a lot of people don't like those kinds of things so I didn't want to ambush anyone with it.

The dog has been following me around and "helping" :D

• Like Like x 2
  2. BruceH

BruceH junior member

I wonder how many have watched hip surgery on youtube? They don't leave anything out and once the initial shock is over it's quite interesting. I would hope you could post your pic, hopefully a mod will give some guidance.

Aren't dogs wonderful? They know when something isn't right, hopefully the dog isn't helping too much, lol.

Congrats on being through surgery and making it home.

• Like Like x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  3. Jamie

Jamie ADMINISTRATOR Administrator

Congratulations on your new hip. You certainly can post an image if you like. If it's a little on the graphic side, just keep the image reduced and not full size. That way people who want to view it will just click and enlarge it. There are a lot of inquiring minds here who would love to see what you have to post.

Oh, and by the way....here are our basic recovery articles for you:

Hip Recovery: The Guidelines

1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
    2. Control discomfort:
    rest
    elevate
    ice
    take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​
    3. Do what you want to do BUT
    a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
    b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​
    4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these
    5. At week 4 and after you should follow this
    6. Access to these pages on the website

Pain management and the pain chart
    Healing: how long does it take?
    Chart representation of THR recovery

Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
    Energy drain for THRs
    Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key

Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it

Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
    Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.