THR Suedeboots's pre-op anxiety

Suedeboot

Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Hi everyone I'm new on here and I so need your help. I'm 61 and scheduled for THR on my right hip and I'm so scared I desperately need to have this done as my life has come to a standstill but my fear is just taking over and causing me so much anxiety I'm having spinal with sedation as I don't want to hear anything the thought terrifies me, infact I'm anxious about the whole thing even recovery will I cope I need your help and support to get through it . Thankyou all.

We're here for you. I am going to copy and paste my response from earlier today to another member struggling much the same as you are - Please reference this thread for others responses to the pre-op fear and anxiety.
You can read HERE

Please leave your exact surgery date below and which hip will be replaced so we can create a signature for you.

Welcome to BoneSmart and thanks for joining us. I understand your anxiety and apprehension. I felt the same. I had a three month wait when I finally scheduled my surgery and consoled myself with the fact that I could back out at any time, no one was forcing me to undergo surgery. However, I knew I wouldn't cancel only to go through the same anxiety at a later date because I needed the surgery and understood the relief it would bring. When I was stuck in fear mode, I'd remind myself of my ever shrinking world and all of the things I could no longer do, or do with ease. Personally, I relied heavily on my faith and prayed that I would continue to move forward with the plan unless basically an act of God stopped me...which never happened. I often prayed for peace mind also.

Everyone you deal with on the day of surgery will be doing what they were trained to do and what they do best. It will be just another day at your surgery site to them. Just as you, they want the best possible outcome for you and will work to achieve that. They’ll put your mind at ease from the beginning and help you realize you’re in good hands. If you're nervous, share that with them, they will give you something to take the edge off. Try not to project in the area of pain because it is normally well managed and if what you are prescribed isn't working well, your meds or dosage can be readjusted.

Keep this in mind -
Joint replacement surgery is one of the most prevalent surgeries performed worldwide. The outcomes of these surgeries have become excellent based on a number of techniques changing over the years. The implants are durable and long lasting, with longevity much greater than before offering an increase in the likelihood you’ll never have to experience this procedure again

Surgery will soon be in your rear view and you’ll join the chorus of “If I only knew, I wouldn’t have been as nervous.” Wishing you comfort, peace of mind, an uneventful surgery and easy peasy recovery!
Hugs to you @Suedeboot

Following is some useful information -

HIP PRE-OP ARTICLES

If you are at the stage where you have joint pain but don't know for sure if you are ready to have surgery, these links may help:

If you are at the stage where you are planning to have surgery but are looking for information so you can be better prepared for what is to come, take a look at these links:

And if you want to picture what your life might be like with a replaced hip, take a look at stories of amazing hip recoveries

I'm having spinal with sedation as I don't want to hear anything the thought terrifies me
I was more worried about the spinal and sedation than the actual op the first time around. Honestly - it is a non-event. They spray your back with antiseptic that is very cold. I didn't feel anything when they did the spinal. You will drop into a nice, comfy sleep and when you wake up, you won't remember anything.

If you are worried about seeing or hearing anything during the op, tell the anaesthetist. They will watch you through the entire procedure and make sure you stay sedated.

@Suedeboot I had a spinal with sedation and here is how it went...
In the pre-op area I was checked over, vitals taken, given a hospital gown to change into, and an IV inserted.
The anesthesiologist came in an introduced himself. The OS visited also.
Then I was wheeled on a guerney to the block room where I had an ultrasound guided injection of an anesthetic agent into my hip. It didn't hurt, but I felt pressure as the meds went in.
From there, to the OR where I transferred to the surgical bed/table. I was asked to sit up and bend forward a little....and the next thing I knew, I was in PACU and alert and feeling good. The spinal wore off quickly and I was able to get dressed in my own clothes, perform the necessary functions for release, and went home.
If you have concerns, tell your team and the anesthesiologist. They know how to take care of your fears.
Good luck! Best wishes for a great outcome.

Good morning @Suedeboot,
My hospital experience was almost identical to Subie2021's.

Pre-op 11:00am was 2 nurses who put an IV in my right arm. Got me started on something to relax. Soon the surgeon appeared, asked me which hip and marked it.

12:30pm Anesthesiologist appeared and put a separate IV in my left hand. These were stronger meds. He did the spinal with no problem.

Soon into the OR at 1pm where there was the MAKO robot and special Hana table for leg length with anterior surgeries. After that I was out.

Woke up in recovery room at 4pm. No nausea, no pain.

In my room at 6pm. Still time to eat dinner.

Overnight nurses were wonderful! They asked about pain meds and I said yes. Also helped me stand with the walker and make sure I could get on and off toilet safely.

They have little compression footies and the TED hose to prevent clots.

Next morning the doc did his own rounds. Everyone made sure I could do the ankle pumps and move my feet in a V shape.

Then 4 med students showed up to ask a few questions.

Then breakfast appeared.

Then PT showed me how to use the walker on stairs.

Nurse helped me get dressed and cut off the TED hose.

I was discharged by 11:00.

Hi there @Suedeboot -- anxiety is totally normal. It's weird having a part of your body replaced, but speaking now about 10 months post-op, I can tell you it was so worth it. Trust your doctor and their team. You have nothing to do but follow their directions and get better. They do this every day and know what to look out for. You will come out a new woman!

Dear @Suedeboot ,

Anxiety at this stage is normal. Most of us experience anxiety as we face surgery -- ANY surgery, let alone a joint replacement.

At age 56, my life had also come to a standstill. When age 57, I had both knees replaced; 4 months apart. That first knee . . . that was the first time I had been a hospital patient since I was BORN! Anxiety was through the roof! Somehow I got in to the hospital the day of that first surgery; my nurse immediately recognized I was ready to get up and go home at any minute, and got me a relaxant. If you feel you will need one, plan to ask on the day of your surgery.

1 year after the 2d knee, I had my first hip replaced. 4 years later, 2d hip.

Most importantly, keep your eye on the prize: today, I walk 4 miles - 1 hour 12 minutes - at least 5 days per week! I have lost weight, and I feel better than I have in year. I am PAIN FREE. Yes, it takes time to recover from these surgeries. But the benefit - OH MY!!

I had general anesthesia all 4 times, so I can't comment re spinal. (Just wanted to say this so you don't think I ignored that concern.)

As I live alone and have minimal support network, I stayed in hospital 2 nights and then went to inpatient rehab for a week to 10 days, each time. My surgeon arranged for this preop. For me, this was the best way. I had to arrange for pet sitter for my cats and dogs, and I did continue having someone come in daily to bend and scoop cat litter boxes until I got the OK to do that myself. Kind of nice knowing SOMEONE was going to be in daily, when I first got home. For the hips, I had anterior approach. My surgeon said, "you can bend and tend the litter boxes the day after surgery, I don't care, with anterior approach. You may not FEEL like doing it, but there is nothing to prevent you bending." I had specifically sought out a surgeon who did anterior, so I would not have to pay to keep the pet sitter on for too long.

Ask questions on here, gathering info helps to reduce anxiety. You can do this!

@Abbylayla yes of course you can use a walker on stairs! Probably not a full flight, but 2 or 3 to enter exit your home, PT makes sure you can do this. You can see how on youtube as well.

@Abbylayla They showed me how to do both a walker and a cane on steps.

My condo stairs are too narrow for a full sized walker.

But I used the Rock Steady Cane instead. Quite sturdy and impressive.

1664421745147.png

I bought a fabric Walker Basket and attached it with velcro straps. This worked great!

1664421837608.png

Administrative note: Both these items may be purchased through Amazon. Please consider using Amazon Smile to make your purchase and designate the Foundation for Advancement in Research in Medicine (FARM) for your donation. This is our parent organization and a portion of your purchase will help support BoneSmart.

Last edited by a moderator:
@subie2021 folded walker. That's an interesting idea. I have PT coming to my house a few days before surgery as a consult. Then I have 8 in home sessions after surgery. Interested to hear what, if anything, they say about the walker. Wasn't told anything like this when I had my knee replacement but maybe hip is different.

I had plenty of previous surgeries and they used GA so when it came time for my THR I was given a choice of GA or the spinal with sedation. I was given the final decision in pre-op and because I had asked some health care professionals I knew and I didn't want the throat tube I went with spinal. For me it was a great choice, so much so I did it again with my second THR. It was a breeze, a little pin prick on my back and that was it. It is odd losing the feeling/function of your lower extremities and then in recovery when it comes back. The best part was how clear headed I was in recovery and no nausea.

Hi @Suedeboot
First of all, love your avatar name! :walking:
You have received some super responses, but would love to add to the queue of assurances and well wishes.
Both of my THR’s were one of the best things I’ve done for myself.
Will be rooting for you!!
Oh and I practiced mindful breathing/thinking to help me with the pre op wait.
Making a list of all I was grateful for was a big help, also. Top of the list was that we live in an age where joint replacements are a finely honed procedure.
:flwrysmile:

:wave: @Suedeboot
Nice to have you on the forum.
When is your Surgery?

This site was certainly was a very big help to me during my recovery journey.
I had twice the fun as they replaced both of my hips simultaneously when I was 53 and I certainly was anxious about the Surgery and what the recovery would be like...
but my life had become very small...
chronic pain, lack of Sleep, and generally feeling depressed, tired and OLD!

My new hips have me back to a happy healthy life.

Hi mojo333 thankyou for reply my surgery is on Friday this week yes my life has come to a standstill I'm not the person I used to be so this has to be done I need (want ) my life back I'm just so very scared .

Suedeboot, thank you for posting about your presurgical anxiety because I'm 6 days away from left hip replacement, posterior approach, and feeling similarly anxious. Your comment generated wonderful responses that are not only reassuring but make me feel heard, seen, and understood. I hope you feel that way now, too. I wish you a smooth surgery and recovery!

Wishing for you the very best tomorrow. The surgical team will take very good care of you. It all zips by so quickly and then 'poof' you are on the healing side.

:yay:

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Axx72
    Staff member since December 27, 2023
  • Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member