THR Sudden thigh pain 6 months post op THR

Rg-guy

Country
Canada Canada
Hello, I’m new to this forum which I just recently found and find it very interesting. I was hoping to get some help with an issue that I’m having with my recent THR. I am 6 moths out from my first THR and 2 1/2 months out from my second THR. About 2 weeks ago I started to get a VERY sharp pain in my thigh, just below my incision, in the middle of my thigh - from my first 6 month surgery. I had the anterior approach done. I was doing SO good with my daily long walks and assigned exercise and then this incredibly set back. I was just walking and this pain came on very sudden and everyday for the last few weeks - about 15 times a day and only sometimes when putting weight on that leg but now more often. I have no issues when sitting, laying down, bending or raising my leg up - only weight bearing on that leg. I seen my OS as soon as it started and he ordered a X-ray which came back indicating that all looked good. I was then told - total rest, no walking or anything for 2 weeks. I seen him again yesterday to inform him the pain continues but now more often? He’s not sure what it is or at least he won’t commit at this point. He ordered a CT scan and will wait to see what that shows - which will be a few months away. He also told me to get a massage to see if that helps - which I am booked in for tomorrow. It’s just frustrating and the pain feels like you could collapse when it comes on so sudden - I’m now back on my cane. Again, it only happens sometimes - when I get up from the chair, get out of my vehicle or just walking It can start. Other times I’m walking just fine and then it hits me again and it can be hard to walk. I was reading a post on here by a gentleman named Capecodtr and it sounded very similar. Anyway, I continue to research my symptoms and was hoping to see if any of the folks on here could give me some advice or maybe have had the same issue? Thanks very much for your help and for your time!!!

benne68

Staff member since February 4, 2022
BoneSmart Staff
Country
United States United States
Hello @Rg-guy and welcome to BoneSmart.

I'm sorry to hear that you are having so much pain at this point in your recovery, and hope you find an answer soon or that massage will help.

While I don't have experience with the type of pain you are describing, I'm sure some of our other members will weigh in with their experiences. I'm also tagging a couple other staff members -- @CricketHip and @Mojo333 -- both of whom have more THR experience than I and may be able to provide some insights.

In the meantime, if you share the dates of your surgeries, we can create a signature for you and add you to the team threads.

CricketHip

Staff member since June 5, 2019
BoneSmart Staff
Country
Hi @Rg-guy Gosh, I am sorry to read about this confusing pain you are having. First thing that I'd like to do is leave you our recovery guidelines, maybe something in them will resonate with you.

I'll leave them now and then comment more on the next post.

Hip Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​

3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.
4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these

5. At week 4 and after you should follow this

6. Access to these pages on the website

Chart representation of THR recovery

Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask the at each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

CricketHip

BoneSmart Staff
Country
So if you read through some of the guidelines, you will see that, just like you are experiencing, no two hips are the same.
Would you care to expand on your long walks and other exercises? I'm not saying that you overdid things but that's been the case for many of us. If you can tell us your routine, it may provide some clues to what's going on.
6 months isn't very long, we tend to consider the recovery from a total joint replacement as a year long
recovery. (or more) One of my hips took longer than a year but is now A-OK.
Are you still icing the area? If you've stopped, please consider resuming the icing... for at least 40 minutes at a time... just be certain to protect your skin by wrapping the ice packs with a thin towel or scarf.

Hopefully while you are waiting for the CT test results, you will continue to lay low and rest your new hips.

Glad to read you are going for a massage, but would like to caution against a deep tissue massage.
It should be of moderate pressure and thorough. Meaning they address your muscles and also the tendons and attachments, especially all around front and rear of your hip.
I scheduled several massage while recovering from my THR surgeries. It was pretty amazing how much they helped!

You said you had the anterior approach, while they don't cut the muscles, they do tease them apart to access the joint. What you are experiencing may be the case of some angry and inflamed tissues that are just starting to wake up and protest loudly.

If you are still with me, I am wishing for the best recovery and hopefully all you need is some ice, rest and patience.

OP
OP
R

Rg-guy

Country
Canada Canada
Hello, thanks very much for the welcome and very quick response!

I had my first THR surgery at the end of December 2021 and my second surgery 4 months later at the end of April 2022. With my first surgery I was walking around the hospital hallways 6 hours later and home for lunch the next day. I had some groin issues for a few weeks but got better and I was walking 2 miles a day at 2 months. My second surgery I was home for supper the same day and all went well. I was the talk of the hospital ward that I was on - on how good I had done with both surgery. Now I’m dealing with this major set back. I personally think I should have waited until my first surgery was completely healed.

I would also like to add that as well as the thigh pain - once in awhile I get a sharp pain across the buttocks area on the same side side.

Thanks again for any help or suggestions on what has worked for others in the same situation!!

OP
OP
R

Rg-guy

Country
Canada Canada
Thank you so much for the encouraging words - much appreciated!!

CricketHip

BoneSmart Staff
Country
Absolutely @Rg-guy . That's what we are here for..many of us came to this site for similar reasons.

I think it was fine to have both hips replaced closely together but now it's more of a reason to ease off and let those traumatized body parts to settle in and fully recover.

I would also like to add that as well as the thigh pain - once in awhile I get a sharp pain across the buttocks area on the same side side.
That too, sounds like a soft tissue issue.

Arjay

Country
G'day! I have a thread here somewhere about the lightning ZAPS I started getting in the front of my thigh like seven months post-op (RTHR in July 2020). The pain - feeling and situation of onset - morphed in a number of ways over the ensuing months. It was momentarily debilitating, but then would pass and everything was fine. Had bloodwork to check for infection, bone scan…nothing showing. Eventually, it just cleared up (knock wood). Weird, inexplicable things do happen. Good luck to you!

Eman85

supremo
Country
I was offered to have my 2nd hip done at my 3 mo exam for my first, I passed. Part of me had hopes that the 2nd would magically get better but the other part of me knew I was still recovering from the first.
As far as twinges of pain I can say that they still happen, just not very often even after years of healing. Early on it's very easy get set back, I did it with my first at the 3 mos mark pretty much right after my OS visit. I put myself back in the chair with ice on constantly, took about 3 weeks to get back to where I was.

Going4fun

Former BoneSmart staff member
Country
I have no idea if my experience helps. Around the one year mark of my surgery, my hip started to collapse. That's the word I grabbed from your post.

Yes, some pain, but it felt like the thigh just couldn't hold up, that my leg was collapsing. Very scary. Came on suddenly. Oddly enough, this came on right when I was visiting my sister out of town to help her with her bilateral hip surgery. She thought mine had gone so well that she had scheduled surgery for herself (much needed). I didn't dare share with her the problem I was having.

Went to my surgeon. He said X-ray looked great. Was about to call my physical therapist who I had gone to at 6 months. And then I remembered that she really believed in me strengthening the glute muscles. So I resume lots of glute exercises ... and then one day at the gym something told me to work on some squats ... to work that thigh muscle that seems to be collapsing. Amazing, the squats did it for me. That collapsing feeling went away. I wondered if there was some nerve miscommunication (or disruption of some communication) between my hip and my quads. Anyway, the squats restored order. Later on I realized that in the years leading up to surgery, I had really cut back on any thigh exercises ... and I wonder if there was some atrophy there. Not sure.

On this board, we caution people about rushing to PT soon after surgery. Your case, I think is one where PT might be of help. You're 6 months out. I think it's safe to contact a good PT, who can test your leg and see what might be going on. Look for the smartest PT you can find, not a hard-workout PT. Just an option. Sounds like the rest period is also a good option for now.

So sorry to hear of this sudden development. My quad collapse was so scary. Terrifying.

dnordo220

Country
Hello, thanks very much for the welcome and very quick response!

I had my first THR surgery at the end of December 2021 and my second surgery 4 months later at the end of April 2022. With my first surgery I was walking around the hospital hallways 6 hours later and home for lunch the next day. I had some groin issues for a few weeks but got better and I was walking 2 miles a day at 2 months. My second surgery I was home for supper the same day and all went well. I was the talk of the hospital ward that I was on - on how good I had done with both surgery. Now I’m dealing with this major set back. I personally think I should have waited until my first surgery was completely healed.

Thanks again for any help or suggestions on what has worked for others in the same situation!!
I’m 7 weeks post surgery and almost 5 post a dislocation. This new hip dislocated at 18 days. So annoyed. I’m having thigh pain, yesterday my cat tried to run out and I definitely turned too quickly. Hoping It stays in place. I’m just taking it easy. I also get butt pain too. My thing feels bruised, that’s the best way to define it. And something feels off. Just trying to rest, but life goes on and that makes it hard. Hope it passes soon for us both.

OP
OP
R

Rg-guy

Country
Canada Canada
Hello to all and thanks very much for your response and suggestions. I’m glad to see some have seen some resolution to the same issues that I have been experiencing! I have to say that 4 massage therapy sessions have seemed to help. The type of massage is called myofascial release or rapid release. My pain which was very intense and I could barely put any weight on my leg for hours. Now its once in awhile - mostly in the morning after walking around for about an hour or so and the pain is not as bad - but still there! Yes, as by many have mentioned that patience is really important and I know it’s hard when you have debilitating pain. Some days are good and some not so good but many better days now. Also, my PT has suggested that I try some acupuncture that can help with these types of issues. I’m booked in for Thursday to see where that takes me next. Thanks again for your responses all the best!!

Elf1

Staff member since October 2019
BoneSmart Staff
Country
@Rg-guy happy to hear you're seeing some improvement, especially after the massage therapy. Hope that the acupuncture gives you some added relief. This THR recovery is definitely a roller coaster ride of ups and downs. Thanks for the update and keep us posted how things go

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Suedeboot
Recent bookmarks

Latest posts

Top Bottom