Watch 2019 JRAD Videos

TKR Sudden Severe Pain & Swelling After Replacement

Winston1

Country
United States United States
Hello, I am having a similar problem, very swift swelling and severe pain. It's been happening every few weeks for a about three months now. I rest it for a few weeks per doctors orders, slowly start walking normally again and it reoccurs. My doctor has now ordered a couple tests to try and figure out what is causing the problem. Was there a cause identified in the original post above? Thank you

Pumpkln

Country
@Winston1
The original poster in the thread where you previously posted, has not been back to the forum since 2017, unlikely we will hear the rest of the story.

You will need to have the tests your OS has ordered to get to the bottom of what is causing your problems.

Please post your surgery date, a moderator will add it to your signature for you. Having the exact date will help us properly advise you. Thanks!

Keep us posted on what your tests determine and how you are doing.

You'll notice that I have moved your newest post and started your recovery thread. For several reasons, we prefer that you have your own recovery thread:
  • That way, we have all your information in one place. This makes it easier to go back and review your history before providing advice.
  • With your own recovery thread, you will see the posts and advice others have left for you.
  • Having only one thread will act as a diary of your progress that you can look back on.
So please post any updates, questions or concerns about your recovery here. If you prefer a different thread title, just post what you want and we'll get it changed for you.
If you need an urgent response to a question, just tag a member of staff.
How to tag another member; how to answer when someone tags you

Here are the instructions on finding your thread, How can I find my threads and posts? . Many members bookmark their thread, so they can find it when they log on.

sistersinhim

Country
@Winston1, welcome Bonesmart. Please tell us about your knee surgeries, the dates and which knee it was. Knowing this helps us to better advise you.

Be sure and let us know what you find out from your doctor.

OP
OP
W

Winston1

Country
Ok, Thank you. I should have test results on Monday. (Blood work and nuclear bone scan) I had a TKR (left knee) on September 23rd 2019. The surgery went well and started PT immediately. The progress appeared very good and seemed normal (swelling and little pain with PT and use) until the first week in January 2020. All of a sudden in January, I was feeling good, walking normally and had the first flare up and swelling after walking down a long hallway stretching out with long strides. The calf and hamstring tightened up, doctor thought I strained it and advised rest, anti-inflammatory, ice, etc... for a couple weeks. Then start reintroducing light exercise slowly. I have rested and gone through that cycle three times now and it keeps swelling up like a cantaloupe with extreme pain. Last week I asked for additional tests to get this figured out as there must be some underlying issue that is causing it.

sistersinhim

Country
Thank you for the date. I've added to your signature for you.

I suggest you continue to rest and ice until you get some answers. It's no need to keep aggravating your knee causing flare ups.

OP
OP
W

Winston1

Country
Well, I spoke with the doctor today. The scan indicated bone inflammation. He ruled out infection with blood tests, etc... He said it will require a revision surgery as he said the tibial base plate is moving slightly when I move a certain way. Very tiny movement, but enough to cause the reoccurring inflammation and swelling. I'm not sure what to think, it's only been six months. On one hand, I'm glad to know what is going on, however, I'm really disappointed that I likely need to go through it again.

Thoughts?

sistersinhim

Country
Thank goodness you don't have an infection. I imagine inflammation is easier to deal with. Now, you know what's causing the discomfort.

Jaycey

FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Administrator
Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
@Winston1 Do you know what implant you have (manufacturer)? Did your surgeon give any indication of the reason for the base plate moving?

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Harryrightknee
Recent bookmarks

Top Bottom