TKR Sudden onset of pain

Nana10

Country
United States United States
TKR last year and I did fantastic. As soon as I reached 1 year post-op I started with pain and swelling, pretty bad pain. So far I have had blood test for infection which came back negative then I had a bone scan that just showed the inflammation.

There is no explanation for the pain and inflammation which is really affecting my life in a horrible way. Anyone experience this same thing?

Yes me! I went through almost the same routine of investigations and the end result was that I have a loose implant!

So tell me, are they going to take some fluid out of of your knee to send the to lab? Because this is needed after blood work and the bone scan. The scan only shows cellular activity indicative of inflammation but it cannot show the underlying cause. The blood tests are not conclusive either. Only lab tests of the synovial fluid can definitively exclude infection. Though speaking for myself, I always 'knew' it was a loosening and not infection!

Do let me know how you get on.

OOH.. that's what did it for me, too-- except my pain started 6 months after TKR. Mine also was a loose implant, and I am scheduled for revision this Wednesday.

Please see my post. I did not have loosening, but have had the pain and swelling since the TKR.... and post revision.

I had a loose implant that caused pain and swelling. Just had a revision on April 16 and it feels great. Best of luck to you.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
tibiaplateauaft
Recent bookmarks
Back