Lounge Doctor

Revision THR Sudden big indent

Louisee2569

Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
I had right hip revision surgery 7 years ago (I am 55). Suddenly I have developed a deep indentation under my scar, the length of it. Its as though any supporting tissue under it has gone. I am now also getting joint aches. My gp hasn't seen it due to having a telephone consultation but am having an xray in a week. Has anyone else had this? I am baffled and I think my gp thought I was talking rubbish ‍

Celle

MODERATOR EMERITIUS
Country
New Zealand New Zealand
Hello @Louisee2569 - and :welome:

Did this sudden indentation come on very suddenly (say during the course of one day) or did you notice it happening gradually, over several days?

And has this change been accompanied by any pain? Has it affected your mobility at all?

You did the right thing in contacting your GP and I'm glad an X-Ray has been scheduled.
Do let us know the result of the X-Ray and what your GP says about it.

Please will you tell us the full dates of all your joint replacements, why a Revision THR was needed, and which limb it was for each surgery, so we can make a signature for you? Knowing the exact dates will help us to advise you appropriately as time passes.
Thank you.:flwrysmile:

OP
OP
L

Louisee2569

Country
thanks for your reply. right hip was replaced in 2006. the prosthesis didn't go all the way in so was left with the leg an inch longer. Years of pain and it came loose so revision 2014 and successful.

This sunken area suddenly appeared as though supporting muscle/tissue isn't there. its not red but tender and the area now aches and the leg is sore on and off.

jsa

Country
Australia Australia
I had quite a depressed area form beneath the upper part of my revision scar. They did an ultrasound and detected large tears in the Quad muscle and tendon as well as the patella tendon. Thats totally different from your hip I know, but like mine, maybe it could be a tear of some sort??? Has it affected your lifting your leg in any way? Just throwing thoughts in there....

OP
OP
L

Louisee2569

Country
oh I did wonder about something like that. yes I have more limited movement and a week after it appeared a lit of pain in the area of the joint...worsening each day. I really appreciate your help

Celle

MODERATOR EMERITIUS
Country
New Zealand New Zealand
Can you email a photo of the depression to your doctor and also tell him/her about the pain and limited movement? It does sound as if this needs more investigation.

OP
OP
L

Louisee2569

Country
Can you email a photo of the depression to your doctor and also tell him/her about the pain and limited movement? It does sound as if this needs more investigation.
the nurse did mention about possible photo but when the gp rang back she just wanted the xray sorting. I have had a sacral fracture after years ago too but there was no depression with it like this. I managed to get a cancellation for the xray and had it done last night so hope to hear more this week. I do feel it needs an ultrasound so hope that's going to be the case. I am fed up that I wasn't asked to go in. covid has a lot to answer for ‍♀

Layla

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Country
United States United States
Great news that there was a cancelation, opening the door for you. I hope you get the results of your x-ray soon and a better idea of the reason for the symptoms you‘ve described.

Let us know what you hear, if you feel like sharing. We’re here and we care.
Hope your day is a good one.
@Louisee2569

OP
OP
L

Louisee2569

Country
I had quite a depressed area form beneath the upper part of my revision scar. They did an ultrasound and detected large tears in the Quad muscle and tendon as well as the patella tendon. Thats totally different from your hip I know, but like mine, maybe it could be a tear of some sort??? Has it affected your lifting your leg in any way? Just throwing thoughts in there....
hello jsa. following on from your post about the muscle and tendon tears, what was the treatment you had please. just trying to be as informed as possible while waiting for my xray results.

jsa

Country
Australia Australia
I was told by the surgeon that an ultrasound would be the best way to show tears and soft tissue damage which it did.
My case isn't one to go by because I had several things go wrong and have had several operations - things still don't look good.
When do you find out?

OP
OP
L

Louisee2569

Country
I was told by the surgeon that an ultrasound would be the best way to show tears and soft tissue damage which it did.
My case isn't one to go by because I had several things go wrong and have had several operations - things still don't look good.
When do you find out?
I saw the consultant who said the bones were all fine (which I guessed as have had a previous fracture). no further investigation! he saw the indent and said he had never seen anything like it before. I have a gp call next week so am going to lush for ultrasound. thank you

Eman85

supremo
Country
United States United States
In no way trying to make light of this but you really have to love it when someone in healthcare says they had never seen anything like that before.
I do have dents or indents after my THR on both sides but they were there from day one and never filled in. Since it's on both sides it just looks normal. I figured they just left some stuffing out.

jsa

Country
Australia Australia
Hi @Louisee2569
Glad the xray was ok. If the GP gets an ultrasound, at least you will have peace of mind if it turns out to be fine. And if it shows some soft tissue, tendon or muscle problems then I'm sure it's better to have answers. Fingers crossed for you that it's all ok.

New

OneStep App

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
FunctionIsFun
Recent bookmarks

Top Bottom