THR Subluxation<<

roo28

Country
United States United States
I recently had a right hip replacement and after about 4 days it started to sublux according to the Dr. At least I know I get a sensation of movement to the outside when I am sitting leg straight and foot rolls up (not past center just somewhat to the inside). Then when I sit up it slides back over with a "clunk".

My doctors say the joint is tight and he has never seen this in 25 yrs. (It did it in his office so he knows the symptoms are real). Any ideas, or anyone else had this happen? I am afraid I am in for repeat surgery.

@roo28 Welcome to BoneSmart! Can you tell me the exact date of your THR? I'll put the information in your signature for you.

I'm going to tag our medical expert @Josephine for her input on your situation.

Meanwhile here's a bit of reading for you on this recovery.
Hip Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
elevate
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​
3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​
4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of this BoneSmart philosophy for sensible post op therapy
5. Here is a week-by-week guide for Activity progression for THRs
6. Access these pages on the website

Pain management and the pain chart
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of THR recovery

Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key

Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it

Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery. While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

It was March 20th. Can you tell me how to mark my posts with the THR symbol. Thank you, I have read much already, I learned more from your site than from my surgeon.

Welcome to BoneSmart. Thanks for joining us here.
I'm sorry to read about your subluxation issue. I will look forward to Josephine's response.

Not sure if you're inquiring how to add your date and which hip was replaced to your signature? If so, you've provided the info and it will be applied shortly.

Following is an article on Dislocation, which I understand you haven't experienced, but there is a bit of info regarding Subluxation toward the bottom of the article.

Check out the Library which can be located beneath the blue navigation bar at the top of the page for many more helpful articles on all things Hips / Recovery.
http://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/dislocations-what-are-the-risks.8759/

Wishing you comfort as you seek answers.
@roo28

Last edited:
Can you tell me how to mark my posts with the THR symbol.
Subtitle added to your thread title and signature updated for you.

It's very early days for you but I can understand your concern about so much movement in the implant. Hopefully Jo will be along soon with her take on this.

@roo28 Hi, it is such a weird sensation. I had it happen early on with a replacement and I am afraid it will mean more surgery. I hung on for rather a long time until I could not roll it back. In the many years since this happened things have changed a lot, then I had to have numerous wires but now it will be much simpler. Good luck and so sorry this has happened.

My doctors say the joint is tight and he has never seen this in 25 yrs.
He's very lucky if he's never seen this in 25yrs. (meaning I don't believe him!)

A subluxation is part way to a dislocation. Sometimes this just a small movement and will move back into place but there are times when it will dislocate properly. But don't worry. If it does that, you won't be left in doubt. A dislocation is really painful thing and you will find yourself unable to move even a little bit and will be calling out for an ambulance!

If your present doctor is not going to investigate this further, I suggest you get a second opinion pretty soon because the fact is that this issue generally occurs because of a malalignment and it needs to be revised.

:hi: and :welome:
So sorry to hear you are struggling with issues with this new hip ...
Hugs and hopeful you can get someone to check into this for you.

So sorry you are dealing with this worry on top of all the regular recovery stress. Sounds like you are really concerned about next steps, and I know when I am in that spot, additional information always helps me.

I appreciate all the info. The Dr. said I had a huge amount of arthritis and he had to remove more tissue than normal. and feels as this scars in it will be more stable, but he also told my wife right after surgery that they had problems finding a replacement that was big enough for me. I am 6'4". I do have a second opinion scheduled for New England Baptist, but because they are "the cream of the crop" the demand is large and they can't see me til May 29th, I am looking for other options. I have a CT scan today.

Keep fighting the fight @roo28 ! The sooner you can get this addressed the better. Please let us know how your CT goes.

My operated leg is also 1/2 in shorter can this be caused by the wrong implant?

My new Dr. decided that I need a total revision surgery with all new "parts" He said I should not have to go thru what I am going through, I am very happy with him so far, but he said that recovery may be harder since this is two surgeries in 30 days and having to remove the cup can mean a walker for 6 weeks to put less strain on the bone.

Hoping for the best for you and that they can get this fixed once and for all.

I got a small dog scratch on my leg Friday which is 11 days before the revision surgery, Do you think it will cause a problem, seems to be healing well and is not deep about 1/2" long.
Thanks

All set for surgery in one week. The Dr. mentioned that I will probably need a walker for 6 weeks because this new cup will need screws and because of two surgeries so close together, the bone will need to avoid full weight for a longer time than a first surgery. Has anyone else found this also?

I don't think the scratch will matter, especially if there was no blood. Wondering if you took a photo of it with your phone shortly after it happened? I would mention it to the OS to be safe, offering any photo you may have.

I don't find your surgeons recommendation you use a walker for six weeks post op unreasonable given your circumstances.

Will you please provide the date of your next surgery so it can be added to your signature. It helps those stopping by to respond to your thread to see exactly where you are in the recovery process. Thanks in advance.

Wishing you a lovely Tuesday!
@roo28

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023
  • EalingGran
    Staff member since January 23, 2024
  • Jamie
    Staff member since Feb, 2009
  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020