THR Struggling with Left THR 12 1/2 weeks post-op

justplainkris

Country
United States United States
Hello, I'm 37 and had two anterior total hip replacements done this year (primarily due to bad genetics and birthing two girls; otherwise I am very healthy, athletic and normal weight). My right leg was done on 2/2 and the recovery had been nothing short of amazing. I was actually surprised because I had a hard start the first two weeks post-op for the right leg, but smooth sailing since. I had my left one done on 3/23 and while the first week or two went well, it's been a hard recovery since. The past few days I've had groin pain and some pain in the front of the hip. It has made putting weight on it hard to bear and my walking is off (I even used my cane for a bit today because it was impossible to walk without support). I'v been icing it 4 times a day and took some Motrin a few times, which has helped a little. I will call the doctor tomorrow, but worried, if this is normal or not? I had a slight trip the other day, but didn't think it would be so impactful?

Hello and welcome! You are finding out what many of us have discovered...no two joint replacements are the same. My first question that comes to mind is about your activity levels and any exercises that you are doing?

With my first THR I had a small slip and slide on some water that I hadn't seen on my bathroom floor. It set me back so much! I literally ended up on crutches for a few days, then could walk without them but had what you are saying, groin and anterior hip discomfort.

If you read around on the recovery forums you will find similar stories and we all recovered, but when it's happening to you? What a worry!

So, hopefully it's just a small set back. Additionally, if you are doing PT or walking long distances, it can hamper your recovery, causing chronic soreness. Is that a possibility?

We have some great recovery articles, and will leave them here for you to read over. Hopefully it helps to give you some insight with your current issues.

Hip Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​

3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.
4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these

5. At week 4 and after you should follow this

6. Access to these pages on the website

Chart representation of THR recovery

Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask the at each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

Hi @justplainkris I am sorry you are feeling disappointed with your recovery and are in some pain. I'm still amazed that you've had 2 surgeries so close to each other. Probably because of the amazing recovery you had with the first hip you may have over done things with the second one? I can't really be much help because I only had hip pinning back in February due to a skiing accident. All I know is that I am now in my 4th month post op and have just started feeling like myself again.
I would be curious as to what your doctor says tomorrow when you call. Please keep us updated and hopefully he will ease your worries and tell you to rest more.

Hello and Welcome to BoneSmart. I’m sorry you’re dealing with the pain and
inconvenience of a set-back. It sounds like your body is responding to the trip you took which aggravated healing muscles and tendons in the area. Sometimes it can take a few weeks to recover from an incident like that. Your surgeon will advise on next steps today. You may consider taking OTC meds on a more regular basis, short term, so you’re able to stay comfortably mobile and ice more frequently to help with inflammation. Please stay in touch and let us know how you’re doing.
Wishing you speedy relief. :)
@justplainkris

Thank you all so much for your information, comments and support! I will be going in for an x-ray tomorrow and seeing the doc. Today I spent most the day resting (well as best as I can with two little rugrats at home). I didn't do my normal walking (usually one mile in the morning and one in afternoon) because of how aggravated my leg is and needing to use the cane for support. I think the hip replacement is ok, but I will find out for sure tomorrow and will update everyone.

@justplainkris not sure if you're still icing but you may want to consider it, could really help.

How are you doing, Kris, on this three month anniversary since your surgery?
I hope your x-ray and appointment on Tuesday went well and you’re doing better.
Best Wishes for a happy anniversary and pleasant end to the week.
Take good care!
@justplainkris

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie