THR Stripey's (2nd) recovery

Hi @Stripey
Happy Wednesday.:flwrysmile:
I went back and found my 2 week out post.
Our memories do gloss over the struggles sometimes, don't they?

I hope the nerve issues are resolving and you get to see some sunshine today.
All temporary....so keep the faith .

@Mojo333 thanks - it helps to be reminded that it's temporary. I keep thinking that I should be feeling better by now. I've been feeling crappy in the mornings for reasons that seem unrelated to hip surgery. Monday I woke with a headache that persisted through the morning, Tuesday it was an upset stomach, and today another headache. I'm inclined to blame it on all the medications sloshing around in my stomach that I'm not used to. I've been weaning off of the prescription drugs in favor of tylenol.

Last night at bedtime my hip felt really good so I decided to forego the tiny dose of gabapentin that I've been taking every night. It was too close to my afternoon tylenol dose to take any of that so I took nothing. An hour later I woke in major discomfort and it took an hour to get things sorted with ice and meds so that I could fall asleep. So, back to bedtime gabapentin for awhile. In addition, my lower leg and ankle feel stiff and have a tendency to throb if I stay un-elevated for any length of time. Normal? I don't remember that from the first go-round but it could also be related to the nerve damage. Also, this morning I got on the scale and was shocked to see that I've lost a significant amount of weight which I suspect is mostly lean muscle mass (the flab is still there, I checked:loll:).

OK, enough whining from me. Tomorrow is my 3-week anniversary. I do remember from my 2014 THR that there was a point at which my recovery went from gradual to exponential. Can't remember when that point occurred but I hope it gets here soon!

Some of the weight loss could also be water loss especially if you had any swelling that has decreased. The weight will come off again and muscles will build once you are further in recovery. I, agree, the third week things start to feel more and more normal.

Hoping you are feeling a bit better...I lost about ten pounds the first month after my surgery...
It's all "behind" me now..:heehee:
My appetite was not the best and the meds do make you feel just yucky!:oyvey:
Keep the faith.... Hope today is a Good day!

I lost about ten pounds the first month after my surgery...

Isn't it crazy? I worried about gaining weight during recovery due to inactivity, but didn't want to lose weight either. I am entering my 4th week and my appetite is still iffy. Nothing appeals to me. I bought some Ensure to keep on hand when I don't feel like eating anything.

I feel like I'm getting stronger and am able to walk further with one crutch, but still have the lower-leg ache from the nerve damage that makes it uncomfortable to sit upright for any length of time. Yesterday I dug up the dreaded TED hose and put it on my left leg, and it does help a bit with that aching. Walking feels fine, but it's hard to get comfortable in bed when that nerve pain wakes up and starts complaining. I am using ice at night now.

I know...temporary. Onward and upward!:running:

Hang in there @Stripey

I had same issue with weight loss and stomach issues. Still get stiff feet at night if I sleep too long in one position. Think it’s pretty common. Glad the hose are helping. It is all temporary.

Week six was a big turn around for me ,so you’re getting there. Hope you have a better week. Pain meds also cause issues when you ween off. I felt almost flu like when I moved to Tylenol.

:SUNsmile::SUNsmile::SUNsmile: Hope today is a good one!

:wave:Happy One Month Anniversary!
I hope issues continue to ease and progress continues.
Enjoy the weekend! :SUNsmile:
@Stripey

Happy 4-week anniversary to me. My incision looks great, swelling is almost gone, my leg is getting stronger every day and I have no pain related to the joint replacement itself . I'm still using one crutch or a cane, but when I'm indoors I often forget to grab my cane when I get up and start walking without it. I'm hoping to be strong enough to walk outside with trekking poles this weekend. I'm very happy once again with the skill of my OS and the outcome of my second THR.

My biggest (and now, really only) challenge is the nerve damage caused by the hospital anesthesiologist. It manifests as a deep and constant throbbing ache in my ankle area, and numbness/pins-and-needles tingling and sometimes outright pain in my foot. It's worst if I'm standing or sitting. If not for that, I would be off all pain meds. I can ignore it to some degree during the day, and am only taking tylenol during the day, but at night it takes over and keeps me awake unless I take prescription pain meds and often keeps me up even with medication.

I was supposed to begin my phased-in return to the office next week, but now have a respite courtesy of Covid19 and will be working remotely for another few weeks. I'm told there is nothing I can do or refrain from doing to speed up healing of the nerves; it will just take as long as it takes, and it takes a long time for nerve damage to completely resolve :boohoo:.

On the positive side, signs of spring are everywhere. Lots of flowers popping up in my yard and neighborhood, and I've noticed that the birds at my feeders are starting to pair up and are even carrying nest material :SUNsmile: . Now if we could just start seeing some warm temps. Happy spring to everyone! :loveshwr:

Some good comes from odd places and that you will be able to work from home. The extra time without traveling will help with the tiredness many of us face with recovering.

Thanks for the update. It seems you’re doing really well aside from the nerve damage and resulting pain and discomfort it’s causing. I’m sorry you have to deal with this. Hopefully it eases quickly for you.
Take care and stay in touch! :)
@Stripey

Hello @Stripey
Happy Two Month Anniversary!
Wondering if you‘ve noticed any improvement in regard to the effects of the nerve damage? Sadly, I know that can take a while.
Wishing you comfort and a good week. Hope to hear from you when you have time. :wave:

A very Happy Three Month Anniversary to you!
Hoping all is well, you’re safe, healthy and enjoying steady progress as you continue to heal.
Best Wishes!
@Stripey

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
LeonGirl