THR Stripey's (2nd) recovery

Oh my stars...and then you had to redo the post due to the server issue...:sorry:sorry.
I sincerely hope the nerve pain settles very soon.
Healing hugs for speedy recovery ..:friends:

Glad you’re home-the best place to be! Yeah-surgery takes a lot out of us old people.:heehee: The lessened “bounce back” surprised me as well. However we’re slow but sure. Keep hanging in there.
Prayers for continued healing and “bounce back.” :tennis:

You had to have worked hard to re create your first recovery post! So sorry that happened but glad you made the effort.
So it was a bit of a rocky start.. sigh. the nerve pain in your foot is an unwelcome surprise and I hope it resolves quickly..
At least you made it home and are able to rest.. good for you! Enjoy your penguin jammies (cute!) and of course, this- :ice:

Happy to hear you're home, hopefully the nerve pain in your foot will get better as the days go by. Glad you're taking it easy.

Hello @Stripey
I'm sorry your post was lost. Thanks for taking the time to update again. We appreciate it and wish you comfort and all the best as you begin healing.
It sounds like you've had a rough start, but things are slowly improving. Hopefully your pain is well managed, you're able to rest comfortably and sleep well.
Big hugs and sweet dreams tonight! :sleeep:

Thank you everyone. I've been feeling a bit sorry for myself due to the nerve damage in my foot; however it's not getting worse so I'm hopeful it will resolve eventually. it is very, very unpleasant. The surgical site has little pain and seems to be healing well. Today although I was resting and icing most of the day, I spent more time awake than asleep, so that feels like progress. Hope to get caught up with everyone else's threads tomorrow. Night night all .

Had one-week follow-up visit yesterday. It was my first real excursion outside of the house since getting home from the hospital, and I was glad to be out in the fresh air (though it was a chilly, rainy day). Staples are out, dressing is gone and steri-strips applied. I am free to shower without covering the incision now. They did an x-ray, everything looks great. Today the sun came out and it warmed up a bit, so I was able to go for my first real post-surgery outdoors walk. Only about 4 blocks total on crutches and it was wonderful, but felt like enough. Back home and onto the sofa with an ice pack. I feel so excited to be past the one week mark and on to the next phase. My appetite has been slim to nil, but already after just that short walk in the fresh air I find myself rummaging in the fridge for something to eat:yay: .

I've had some time to reflect on this THR vs. the one I had 5.5 years ago. Either I forgot the down side of the first week, or this one was harder; I don't know which. Harder physically and mentally. It seems like I took more prescription meds this first week than I did the last time, although I still haven't taken much. I found myself feeling down, and impatient and had a few "why me" boo-hoos. I resented everybody else being out and about while I was confined at home. My last THR took place during the summer, and this time around it's mid-winter gloomy, and that may be affecting my mood somewhat.

Physically, I don't appear to have as much swelling as I did the last time. I get an achiness in my entire left leg that I don't remember from last time, although I've had some additional non-THR-related complications this time that may be contributing to that. All in all, I think I'm in a pretty good place for one week plus a day. At my visit I was told to start moving about more, and listen to my body with respect to not overdoing it. Cleared for walking and stationary biking. I'm ready to start this next phase of my recovery :spin:.

Great update and sounds like you're doing great at one week out! I'm the two THRs being different, remember no two are the same, even on the same person. And, you are a little bit older this go round and there's that wonderful thing called selective memory, we forget the really bad parts from before. :heehee:

Feeling down happens to the best of us then add the gloom of winter and you're all set for a case of the blues. Hang in there, you know it gets better with time.

And, you are a little bit older this go round and there's that wonderful thing called selective memory, we forget the really bad parts from before. :heehee:
I've been told more than once that if we didn't have selected memory no woman would ever have more than one child. :heehee:

I feel so excited to be past the one week mark and on to the next phase. My appetite has been slim to nil, but already after just that short walk in the fresh air I find myself rummaging in the

Yay, past week one! Congratulations. :happydance:

I just passed week two. Week two led to a better appetite, ( log leg disappeared near the end of week one) , it was easier to use walker, and move around in general. More fluid walking.

Switched to the cane, but had more pain and had to go back to the walker, for now, to have less pain (less pain medicine). Sleep was just a bit better, too!
I used a flat plastic bag to slide easily in and out of bed, when not in my recliner.

Looking forward to your two week report!

Hello @Stripey

Glad you are home and have made it into your second week of recovery. Sorry you are feeling blue. I do think winter is a little rough for recovery. The grey days get to me more than last time. Fresh air always brings spirts up. Hope this week is easier and that your foot resolves too. Healing wishes to you this weekend.

Hope you get some sunshine this weekend too. :SUNsmile::SUNsmile::SUNsmile:

@Fit4Family ironically, pain from the damage to my foot is definitely my biggest challenge as a result of this surgery. However, I do think it's getting better as I get more mobile.

Sleeping has not seemed as difficult as the last time. I really dislike sleeping on my back, but I've been able to do it more easily this time. Also, I've been able to sleep for short stints on my non-op side with a king-size pillow between my legs, and those little breaks make sleep a lot more pleasant. I typically sleep about 10 hours each night and take at least one nap per day.

The most surprising thing is that the lower back pain that has plagued me for several years is gone. Is it because of the enforced rest or the fact that I'm not sitting in an office chair 8 hours a day? I don't know, but I want to make sure I figure out how to sustain this once I get back to my normal activities, given that I'll be back in that office chair and doing home chores and recreational activities. Please anyone - share any thoughts you may have from your personal experience on how to do this.

This week looks to be dry so I'm hoping to get out for 2 shorter walks rather than one longish one each day. I'm using one crutch around the house but still using 2 outside. I bought rubber tips for my trekking poles and hoping to use them for my walks when I'm a little stronger.

I loved that my back pain stopped during my early recovery. Unfortunately after years of damage to it once I resumed activities it came back. I do my Yoga and stretches to make it better but until they come up with a TBR I guess it is what it is.

Yesterday was my 2-week anniversary and I spent it mostly resting. We are having an unusual stretch of sunny weather and I may have overdone my walk around the neighborhood on Wednesday. Ended up having to snuggle with an ice pack when I went to bed both Wednesday and Thursday nights. I think an increase in minor aches is to be expected as I get more mobile, so not too worried about it. Thursday’s excursion was limited to a block-and-a-half walk to the post box to mail a birthday card, and future walks will be dialed back a bit. I’m not having any pain as a result of overdoing, just a tightness in the hamstrings that feels like a warning, and an achiness when I go to bed that is just enough to keep me from falling asleep.

The raised toilet seat is gone, but I’m still using the shower bench. I use one crutch indoors and 2 outdoors. Still taking Celebrex and Tylenol during the day. At bedtime, I take one tramadol and/or one gabapentin as needed. Hoping to get off those last two within the next week. Still icing during the day, though I’m definitely up and about more than I was the first week.

I remember 2 weeks as being sort of a turning point in my last surgery. It was the point at which I was feeling more independent and could feel my leg muscles getting stronger, and that is the same this time around. I can also feel myself getting impatient to be all better. Somehow I managed with no setbacks last time, so I’m just trying to follow the same path. Back pain is still gone, which is wonderful!:happydance:

Slow and steady is a great approach and if it worked for you last time it should again. That has been my method and has worked well for both of my hips. Have a lovely sunny day. The sun is also shining here in upstate NY and that makes me very happy even if it is cold.

Happy 2 weeks!

The sunshine is so nice and combined with the mid to upper 50's temps it's impossible to stay inside. Especially after all the days we've had with little to no sunshine so far this year. It's made me flirt with the ODIC as I've gone walking outside all 3 days. Being in the sunshine is so good for my mood that I just can't help it and it's hard to put a price on mental health, lol.

Enjoy the day, our normal weather is due back tomorrow.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020
  • mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
All2Gd88