Watch 2020 JRAD Videos

THR Stripey's (2nd) recovery

Stripey

Country
United States United States
Just starting my thread before I head out the door. Arrival at hospital is 7:30 so surgery will be around 9:30 or 10AM. House is clean, bedroom is set up, cold packs are chillin' in the freezer, mobility and safety aids in place, bird feeders filled in the garden and dog at the sitter's for a few days. Don't know when I'll be able to report since the BoneSmart app on my phone is a little unreliable, but I'll check in when I can. Just want to express gratitude for all the helpful info on this site.

Jaycey

FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Administrator
Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
@Stripey All the best today! I'll leave your recovery guidelines here in case you need a quick review.
Hip Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​
3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you​
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​
4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of this BoneSmart philosophy for sensible post op therapy
5. Here is a week-by-week guide for Activity progression for THRs
6. Access these pages on the website

Pain management and the pain chart
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of THR recovery

Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

leejaa

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
I hope surgery is all over now and you are resting comfortably. Don't forget to ask for ice if they do not automatically provide it. My hospital and OS are big believers in icing.

OP
OP
Stripey

Stripey

Country
Had OT waiting for PT and then discharge. Had some damage to nerves in my foot which are the only pain and better today. I just want to go home, get into my penguin flannel Pjs and crawl into my own bed!

OP
OP
Stripey

Stripey

Country
Lots of ice and elevation here but SO tired of being on my back. @VSlowLife I thought of you last night when I lost my oven baked salmon dinner .

OP
OP
Stripey

Stripey

Country
It appears that the long post I put up yesterday was a casualty of the server crash, so I'll attempt to recreate it as best I can. I got home on Friday and was so glad to be here. Crawled into bed and fell into a deep sleep for several hours. This rodeo was a little more of a challenge than the last one for me. The anesthesiologist had trouble with my spinal. I have mild scoliosis which was not a problem the last time, but for some reason was this time. They had to bring in reinforcements from ob-gyn to help. I was alternately yelping and apologizing profusely. We were in a pre-op area where patients were only separated by curtains, and I felt like I was scaring the other patients with all the racket I was making.

Finally I was wheeled into op where everything went smoothly. While in recovery I started to have intense nerve pain in my left foot. Up to this point, that is really the only pain I've had. It's thought to possibly be from the difficult spinal or could also be some nerve trauma from the surgical boot being strapped too tightly. I have been taking gabapentin for it, which takes the edge off but also makes me feel sedated and slightly ill.

Yesterday was my first full day home and I spent it lying down, elevating and icing and sleeping, getting up to take a short walk every couple of hours. I don't have much of an appetite yet. Today I think the foot is better, though it is still exquisitely painful and hypersensitive to touch.

Today's plan is not to sleep quite so much, though I'll spend most of it lying down of course. I'm not the spry 56-year-old that I was when I had my first surgery :heehee: but as soon as I get through these first few days things will be better and it will all be worth it.

Thank you for all the post-surg well wishes :flwrysmile:

New

Active Antibacterial

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Mizbig2020
Recent bookmarks

Top Bottom