Watch 2020 JRAD Videos

Fractured Neck of Femur/Pinning Stress Fractured Femoral Neck - compression hip screw in 30YO

Ally1989

Country
Australia Australia
Hi team

I presented to surgery with a stress fracture in my femoral neck, >50% progressed. Not due to any specific trauma - maybe related to running.
As a result had to had dynamic hip screw inserted. Have found the whole thing so traumatic. My body has struggled, the pain and reduction in mobity is intense and the whole this has thrown me.

I'm 6 weeks post surgery and am still having bad problems with inflammation. My leg swells insane amounts, +7cm at it's worse.

Recently I've been getting freezing toes and feet on injured leg and discolouration of the leg too.

I was sent for ultrasounds today which were clear for clots.

Feeling so upset there are still so many complications at this stage. I'm in a worse place than I was 6 weeks ago and I'm so frustrated.

I'm partially weight bearing but not with huge luck. The swelling goes to my knee which is making weight bearing difficult - still two cructches.

So hard for a 30 YO to deal with!

Keen for any advice on swelling, discolouration or movement!

Mojo333

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
United States United States
:hi: @Ally1989 and welcome to the forum.
I'm so sorry you are having to deal with a tough recovery from this hip surgery...you said six weeks ago?
Please let us know your surgery date and procedure and we will add it to your signature so it will be easier to advise you.

I'm glad you followed up to rule out blood clots and the swelling does sound horrible.:sad:
We have a forum advisor, @CricketHip who specializes in lymphatic massage ...our lymphatic system handles swelling... and she recently shared some advice to another membere here.

Icing and elevating should certainly help.
Also, Let me leave you our hip replacement guidelines. They are relevant for hip surgery in general.

Hip Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary​
2. Control discomfort
rest
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​

3. Do what you want to do BUT​
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you​
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​

4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these

5. At week 4 and after you should follow this

6. Access to these pages on the website

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

Hope things start turning around soon.:console2:

SeanMurphy

Country
Ireland Ireland
Hi, I'm 31 broke my hip and wrist the 4th of December had hip pinning surgery too. I was bed bound for 8 weeks leg was very stiff and swollen. I'm back working and walking now pain is still there but getting better I think its impossible to not over think things with a serious injury, it takes time to get over such a invasive surgery at 6 weeks it still very fresh I'm nearly 6 months and it's only starting to get there now, follow everything physio tells you and you will get there stay positive

CricketHip

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
Hi @Ally1989 Glad you found the forum and welcome!
That sounds like one nasty stress fracture and can just imagine how upsetting the news was for you.
The swelling and decreased mobility has to be very difficult , please try the above directions for possibly easing some of the excess swelling, you can do the elevation and deep abdominal breathing several times a day.
6 weeks seems like a long time, but it really isn't. Things will ease up, but sorry to say it just takes time. :flwrysmile:

OP
OP
A

Ally1989

Country
Australia Australia
Oh my GOODNESS! Thank you ALL so much for your amazing words. I can't tell you how much this has lifted my spirits after a tough few days.

I've got a follow up appointment with my GP tomorrow, and am on a new set of anti inflams as of today.

It's so nice to feel not alone in this journey!

Date of op was 20/04/2020 so now 6 weeks and one day. Keeping on icing and elevating (with a blanket! It's freezing in Australia at the moment)

Will keep you all posted over the next few days!

Celle

Country
New Zealand New Zealand
@Ally1989 - Thank you for your surgery date. I've put it into your signature and added your name to the April Rainbows surgery list. Please will you also tell us which hip it is? Thank you. :flwrysmile:

Layla

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
Hello @Ally1989
Stopping by to say Hi :hi: and wish you a Happy Two Month Anniversary!
Wondering how your recovery is going these days? We’d love to hear from you as time allows. Will look forward to an update if you feel like sharing.:)
All the best as you continue your healing journey.

New

Active Antibacterial

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Susaq02
Recent bookmarks

Top Bottom