Revision TKR Story of My Knees by RestAssured: Pt 3

Well,

We walked 6 miles today at a speed of 3.5mph in under 2 hours!:happydance:

The IT band twinged a little at mile 4 and I caught my foot and turned it back in!

No more problems until I got off of if completely! Mean little rascal!:groan::groan:

Well......

When it rains, it pours! I walked w Abby today and I was trying to keep up with her when I felt my shoe go sideways! Extreme pain hit, and Abby asked me if I was ok.

I said, "Yes, of course":whistle:, I didn't want to appear wimpy, but after limping back to Mission Fitness, I took my shoe off and assessed the damage. Of course it HAD to be the right foot again; but this time I think it is just a bad sprain!:doh::beg:

Ouch! Get that ankle checked, Sonja!

You know the treatment - Rest, Ice, Compression, Elevation.

Well....

Today has been a day that I will not soon forget. I have to figure out if my foot/back are going to hold up for 13.1 miles. Abby said I am compensating for my knees so my feet and back are getting the brunt of the walking regime.

Abby asked me if I was doing this for me. I started crying because honestly I am putting in so much time but realize I may not make the 4 hour deadline. That would be a crushing blow to me. I know that a finishers medal and shirt isn't the most important thing, but that is my sense of accomplishment! Anything less would be a major disappointment in my books! My weight loss has slowed down, walking is not getting my cardio going. Abby said we can get the cardio moving again but she wants me to think about the costs of doing the marathon on my body. If I still want to continue, she will support me 100%.

Abby is very intuitive though. She knows that I am losing the "fun" of working out.:groan:

I have a lot to think about tonight and this weekend! Tomorrow I power walk 9 miles! Abby said if I can do 9 miles in under 3 hours, then I have a good chance of finishing in the 4 hour time limit. The crowds will give me extra energy! :)

@RestAssured Just remember, you have nothing to prove. Everything you have accomplished thus far is nothing short of miraculous! If the fun has gone out of the prep work, maybe it's time to back off and find something just as satisfying but with the fun element still there. Whatever you chose to do, you are already a medal winner in my book! :)

Sonja, you're a winner, whether or not you do that half marathon. You hvae come so far and accomplished so much.
I'm not going to tell you to decide one way or the other - I'll just beg you to listen to your body and take care of it.

Today was a big bummer!:blackcloud:

I started walking with Kim for 45 minutes and felt a pop in my foot so I stopped before the pain hit. Well, my lungs were ready to burst also, and I thought, that's crazy, I have walked for miles and felt great.

Then, 2 hours later, I was on the rowing machine and Abby had me do 10 minutes. What used to be a breeze wad a struggle! I stopped at 8 and Abby said finish it out. I did but I was huffing and puffing. Then we weighed!!

Aaaaarrrrrgggghhhhhh!!!!!:headbang: Can anyone relate to self-sabatoging besides me? I had gained 14 pounds! I am taking 2 weeks off (by Abby's suggestion) to figure out what is going on.

Right now I can say I found out that I have Bronchitis pretty bad, as I was crying and coughing up blood into a towel. Abby said get to your GP and I did. I got a shot, antibiotics, an inhaler, and a rescue inhaler. Gosh, no wonder I'm tired!:yawn:

Oh @RestAssured I'm so very sorry to hear about your day. I'm glad you went right to your GP and received treatment. Please focus on caring for yourself and getting rid of this awful bronchitis. That is job#1 and everything else can wait. I'm thinking of you and sending strong healing thoughts in your direction. I hope you are able to get some rest so that your healing can begin. Best wishes for a speedy recovery!

HI Sonja @RestAssured

I'm sorry you had such a bad day, but I'm really pleased that you went to your doctor and got something for your bronchitis.

Let your body heal, and then you can get back to the training, if you want to.
You've come so far - forgive yourself for the little lapses.

Yes, I had no idea that I was sick! My brain and my body seem to be disconnected from each other! I just thought the weight gain was causing the huffing and puffing!

Abby even commented about how far my conditioning had dropped since I had just been training for the 1/2 marathon.

I know one thing, one way or the other, I will be glad when January 18th has passed! That way, no matter what I can refocus on just getting stronger and leaner.:happydance:

My GP said I was "one sick lady", but he was glad that I hadn't waited for it to become pneumonia this time. I told him, I have a trainer named Abby who is persistent, and I had to report in to her when I got a DX. That way she would know I went! LOL:giggle:

Hi Rest Assured and other TKR patients! It was here you you and a few others I first read about Dr. Maale a few months back.

My quick history is: 20 year old motorcycle accident created dramatic ligament instability in my left knee. Had my first knee replacement in 2003. Made it 5 years until 2008 when PCL tore loose. Once this happened, I had severe instability in my primary TKR. It was revised in August of 2008 to a posterior stabilized TKR. Within 8 to 10 weeks instability was back and causing effusions which prevented walking on it. February 2009 it was revised again by replacing the poly or spacer with a thicker one. The idea is it would fill up the slack and stabilize the knee a bit, no luck.

October 2009 I flew to Chicago and met with Henry Finn who invented the Finn Rotating Hinge. None of my local doctors in Houston wanted to put a hinge in my leg at 38 years old. Dr Finn in Chicago agreed that I needed a hinged prosthetic but was worried about my height (6'5) and my young age. He did agree to revise it and if while he was operating could not get it tight... He was willing to put in a Finn Rotating Hinge. He did the revision without putting in a hinge and did a capsular embrication to contain swelling. Within 6 months the knee was very loose again.

However, this time around I could walk with no swelling. So I was able to make it five years on this revision. But after five more years of walking on an unstable knee it led me here. It was here I first heard of the Legion HK Hinged knee that had a better design and would last longer. 6 weeks ago Dr Maale performed an operation taking out all my old hardware and installing the Legion HK Hinge. While in the hospital I also worked with a great physician who called on Maaale's patients named Dr Anthony Anderson.

Overall, it has been a very rough procedure to make it through... but I am hanging in there. This was the 5th the surgery in the last six years. This knee is stable and I mean stable. Almost too tight. I still have a ton of swelling and was wondering how long did the other Legion HK patients had pain and swelling? I was able to push my ROM to 112 degrees in therapy the other day, so I know I am progressing. Just still a lot of pain and swelling.

Anyway, wanted to thank everyone for all the input and generosity for listing their doctors and success stories. If it were not for you all, I would have never heard of Maale. And, he was only 4½ hours from my home.

Hi Rick, @rickwright1971

Thank you for coming here and posting your story.
You've really been through the wringer and it's good to hear that things are going better for you now - and also that BoneSmart was able to help you.

I have the same knee as you and have 130 degrees flexion. I did not work on flexion, just everyday activities and the next thing I knew I had great flexion.
I still have swelling at 7 months.
Happy you found Dr Maale, we have several members who have had great success with him.

@rickwright1971 ,

I am so happy that you found Dr. Maale!:happydance: He is truly one of the best there is! Don't worry about ROM! It takes time.

Thank you so much for letting me know that we have helped you! Keep us posted!:cheers:

RestAssured, was curious... at what point in recovery did most of your swelling subside?

Hmmm..... Gosh,
RestAssured, was curious... at what point in recovery did most of your swelling subside?

I don't really remember,but I would guess 6 -8 weeks? Please remember though that you have had a lot more done to your knee than I have so it might take longer. Recovery from a revision, usually takes longer than a replacement.

What a story!!! It sounds like you are on a good path to recovery now, though. Please keep us up to date on how you're doing. You might want to start your own recovery thread in case you have specific questions. That way any discussions about your recovery won't derail Sonja's thread.

@JustmeT,

Of course everyone is different; but remember, don't overdo like I did and you will be on your way a lot faster!:happydance:

Recovery from a revision, usually takes longer than a replacement.
Are you serious? Please say that was a typo! :beg:

Wile it can take longer, this can depend on how much has to be done during the revision.

Almost 3 years ago, I had a revision from a PKR to a TKR. I recovered faster than I did with my original surgery. I attribute that firstly to my surgeon's skill and secondly to the fact that I had been using my knee normally until the TKR failed, and I had not lost any muscle strength or tone. I waited a long time for the original PKR, and my leg had grown quite weak.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie
Recent bookmarks
Back