Knee Infection* Still Struggling

Do you have an Infectious Disease doctor? If not, you need to get one on board as soon as possible. And I would do everything possible to not go back to that horrible hospital. I can't imagine how 'ho hum' that treated this serious setback. Please keep us updated. I pray for your complete healing.

@robhunt3, it’s St Heliers.
Consultants and their teams really great. I’m talking post op care.
Cardboard wee bottles handed back to reuse because they can’t find others, drugs administered but not recorded, drugs not being administered when should have been to fight infection, no information on patients.....the list could go on and on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm so glad that you are at home again and that you're receiving IV antibiotics. Are you also taking oral antibiotics? It's usual to take both IV and oral.

Your hospital stay sounds like a real shambles.

When do you see a Consultant again? And do you have a direct contact phone number for your surgeon? In your situation, it would be useful to be able to contact him direct.

Juzzy, you have here a very detailed log of terrible and bad quality care. I take it this hospital is the one in Epsom, yes?

I suggest you put all this in a letter and send it to the senior Matron and also copy it to the MD of the hospital

Mr Martin Warnette is Head of Nursing, SWLEOC and Mary Richardson ONC, RGN, BSC is the Managing Director. I'm sure both of them would want to know about this appalling catalogue of poor nursing.

You really should not delay reporting this as there might be many others suffering as you did and it just won't do.
Doesn't matter whether they were under pressure from the seasonal pressures, our patients have the right to expect even moderately basic care.

BTW, who was your surgeon? You could copy him in on the letter too!

Do you have an Infectious Disease doctor?
do you have a direct contact phone number for your surgeon?
@sistersinhim and @Celle We have neither of those things in the UK.

Hi everyone-well since I have been home I am feeling a lot less stressed and frustrated.
Even though I have been put into a splint for 2 weeks and on crutches I am just happy to be home!
I have to go to the hospital everyday for the next 2 weeks at 6pm to receive 1hr 30min of IV antibiotics it’s worth it.
I’m trying to get my IV taken at the hospital closer to me which is rather complicated but I will see how we get on today.
My knee recovery is secondary until I take care of getting rid of this bacteria problem!
I’m seeing the surgeon who washed out my knee on next Tuesday. Hopefully the antibiotics are doing enough so no further surgeries are require
I’m still going to follow through with my complaint about the ward care I received and many of the hospital staff I have spoken to have been absolutely horrified with the treatment. Hopefully they will be able to identify individuals by shifts and something will get done. I don’t want others going through all those issues.
Anyway, hr by hr, day by day for me at the moment.
Great to have the bonesmart support.
Thank you all very much

Anyway, hr by hr, day by day for me at the moment.
Keep your chin up, you'll soon get past this temporary blip I'm sure. Put you feet up, quite literally, and take it easy.

@juzzy- I hope you're starting to feel a bit better.

I've added your joint washout to your signature and put the date as January 6. Please will you confirm I have the right date? Thank you. :flwrysmile:

@chelle-washout date was Monday 8th Jan

Your attitude is amazing. After what you and your poor knee have been through, it sounds as though your spirits are still good. Hopefully, the antibiotics are doing their job.

Thank you for confirming the date of your knee washout, @juzzy .

Juzzy, I was in an immbolizer (similar to a splint) after my washout/spacer exchange also. I hope you’re able to rest and keep that knee up when you aren’t at the hospital getting the IV meds. I had IV antibiotics for 6 weeks. A nurse taught us how to run the IV through a PICC line they inserted so I didn’t have to go to a hospital every day. Did they give you a PICC line?

@KarriB- yes I am rest and keep my knee up, thank you.
If you don’t mind me asking, did the antibiotics work for you?
I’m not familiar with what the PICC line is. I have been told numerous that they type of antibiotics that I am receiving must be administered from the hospital.

They had me on Vancomycin with the PICC and I just had it delivered to my house. A nurse came by weekly to draw my labs and change the connecting tubing on the PICC. I was on this for 6 weeks and than an oral antibiotic for 6 weeks after that. It worked for me . It was not a quick process at all.

I’m not familiar with what the PICC line is. I have been told numerous that they type of antibiotics that I am receiving must be administered from the hospital.
This article explains about a PICC line:
PICC Line

My infectious disease dr analyzed the bacteria and prescribed two different antibiotics. One was delivered via a PICC line and the other oral Rifampin. I was to be on both for 8-9 weeks, but my body had other ideas and I could only take them for 6 weeks. I’ve been on maintenance antibiotic since then, 100mg of doxycycline and no reoccurrence of the infection. I honestly don’t think I could’ve gone to the hospital daily to receive antibiotics. The two surgeries so close and infection wiped me out and I did a lot of resting the first month after the infection.

My OS ordered the immbolizer because he wanted no bending at all due to the compromised condition of my soft tissue. The surgeries, infection, prior PT had done damage to the soft tissue so he wanted it to rest and heal as much as possible. After a month when I was allowed to bend the OS ordered non-aggressive therapy, which meant easy heel slides (moving about 2 inches with no help) and walking with a bend in my knee using a cane.

Do you know what the antibiotic is?

Oh wow!
I’m Ertapenem and Teicoplanin for 14 days. I’m also having further blood tests, Monday 15th.
I see the surgeon who performed the washout Tuesday 16th. He is part of the surgeon who performed the TKRs team.
Hopefully will get some good news!

@KartiB see above

@juzzy, it's @KarriB, not KartiB! When the tag turns blue, that means you have done it right.

I hope you get good news also. I think meds have different names between the US and the UK so I’m not sure what you’re taking. Many times in the US it’s a 6 week run of antibiotics, then off for a few weeks before they check to see if the infection is gone. If they check too soon the effect of the antibiotics will still be in the body possibly masking an infection. In my case, I was off antibiotics for 2 weeks because my body stopped producing white cells as a result of all the antibiotics.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023
  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017
  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member