THR Still struggling<

Hello all. I’ve been keeping up with ‘old friends’ by reading your posts, those that have ‘disappeared’ I assume are fully recovered - well done them!
My 8 month anniversary is on Friday and progress is slow! My hip itself is healing well, just soft tissue aches and pains. However my back issues continue to be a problem. Thinking back over the last 2-3 years, I am sure that my achy back/falling over etc were due to my hip. I recall that The current problems really started following my 12days in hospital while my blood pressure was sorted. I have been to a pain clinic which recommended a diagnostic spinal injection for facet joint syndrome, which I had yesterday. It had no effect at all sadly. So I am still experiencing lower back pain, bilateral pain down the back of my thighs, calves plus numb feet. My posture is poor as I am trying to protect my back, I have little stamina and can only walk about 200 m in one go. We had quite an interesting chat with the husband of another lady in for treatment. She had had hip surgery from my surgeon and he said that a lot of his wife’s issues resulted from the surgical technique used. We both had the anterior approach, which has left a neat scar but may have left more trauma. If any one has any thoughts/info about this I would be really grateful to hear them. Thank you!

Hi @fanny23
I'm sorry you're still struggling at eight months post op.
Isn't it possible that the injection could still begin working over the course of the next week or so? Have you met with your Primary Care Physician in an effort to receive some direction in regard to pain in your back that runs down your thighs and calves, in addition to the foot numbness?
Wishing you comfort as you seek answers.

Thanks for your reply Layla, the injection was for diagnostic purposes so it was a small amount that should have worked in 15-30 mins for a limited time (approx 12-24 hours I think) if my pain was caused by facet joint syndrome. I have spoken to my GP about the pain I am feeling hence the referral. I really don’t know what to do next, I was so optimistic immediately after my hip op, the pain in my hip had gone and my back felt so much more comfortable. I do appreciate your letting me have a moan and taking the trouble to reply to my email. Hopefully I will feel a bit more positive tomorrow, I have become very tired coping with leg/back pain, low bp issues, overactive bladder and consequent lack of sleep.

Evening everyone. I’m still trying to overcome my various issues. I have ODed on 5km on the stationery bike and, once felt a bit better, then 2 mins of modest squats! On both occasions I ended up with very wobbly legs and an inability to walk more than a few metres. I am so desperate to build up my leg muscles and to be able to walk properly again.
On a different note, has anyone heard from Josephine? How is she doing? I miss her comments and helpful advice.

I'm sorry you're still struggling @fanny23
Wondering if a few visits with a PT may benefit you? Possibly just enough to get some advice on strengthening exercises for your legs now that you're nine months post op. Something to consider...

Josephine is slowly recovering from a knee revision and taking the time she needs to rest and heal. She deserves a break, she's earned it. :)
Thank you for your concern.

Wishing you all the best. I hope you have a lovely Christmas and a happy healthy 2020!

Thank you Layla, I am pleased that Josephine is recovering from her op. I appreciate your advice re PT, I have been to a few sessions but they have focussed on strengthening my core rather than leg strength. I am trying to strengthen the latter now by being a bit more sensible about building up very slowly!
I must admit that I am looking forward to a more healthy and pain free 2020!
Best wishes for Christmas and the New Year.

Hello @fanny23 I am so sorry you are in pain. Agree with Layla that a good PT might be able to provide guidance. I made great strides using isometric exercise. Very simple things to strengthen my inner and outer thighs and glutes. Weak muscles in your legs can make your back hurt. Also abdominal muscles are so important to keep your properly Aligned over your knees. Wishing you pain free days ahead. Take care.

:wave:
I see you just passed your one year hipversary.
I do hope you have been seeing improvement and wonder how you have been since all the craziness in the world began.
Big hugs and all the best Mojo coming your way.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom