THR Still struggling<

Well saw a chiropractor this week and @CricketHip you are right! Poor posture and gait prior to hip op has now to be corrected and muscles are complaining! Apparently I have 'no gluts'! So simple balance exercises to get gluts going and another appt on Saturday. She made me feel so much more positive and cheerful. I really feel that I will get there even if it takes time.
On a less cheerful note, I just tried to kneel down to sort out our saucepans which were in a right muddle (H adopts a relaxed approach to putting them away) and OUCH. Can anyone tell me how long it will be before I can kneel? These knees aren't painful, just really stiff and unable to support my weight when I kneel.

Six month anniversary coming up and progress has been slow! I have been doing chiro advised exercises to strengthen glutes and those that PT 'prescribed'. Some muscle strength returning - I walk in the house (mostly) with no cane and can get up and down stairs without it. However yesterday I managed to trip over a rug and landed heavily on my knees. Luckily my hip seems to be ok but I have very sore legs this morning, LH particularly. To think I was going to ask one of our moderators to change the title of my thread to something more positive!!

@fanny23 About your question of when can you kneel on your knees again?
I used a cane before my surgery for about 2 months waiting for the surgery date. A nurse listed on my paperwork 'A straight cane walker. ' My gait was okay and knees were okay.
After surgery I could not get on my knees, it was very painful. It was so frustrating. Sure was not expecting that to happen.
Now at 3 months, I can kneel again, but just for comfort, I use knee pads that strap on. I still can't sit back on my heels, working on that. But it does get better, so don't give up hope.

Thank you Cecropia, I think, like you, that I could kneel if I rolled from a lying down position - that would give the neighbours something to chuckle about if I preceded a weeding session like that! But I can't push up from kneeling and certainly couldn't sit back on my heels. I just hope that this will come in time, I had no problems with my knees at all prior to surgery so goodness knows what my surgeon did that affected both like this. My nearly 3 year old grandson keeps asking me to come down on the floor to play with him and doesn't understand that I can't.

Hi @fanny23
In catching up on your thread I noticed I tagged, Josephine, for you before she unexpectedly took a little extra time off for her revision surgery. You've been so patient and I apologize the tag went unanswered.

It sounds like you're still struggling with knee pain. I'm sorry to read of your tripping incident. Thankfully you're okay but I'm sure landing on your knees was painful since they're currently bothering you anyway.

Have you had your knees x-rayed, per chance? I'm wondering if arthritis could be a possibility...While I understand Hoppy Nannys explanation and it could very well hold true for you also, my first thought was your knee was still causing pain due to the dislocation process during your THR surgery. The knee can be manipulated rather aggressively and many complain about a painful knee afterward. Since you're complaing about both knees, I am wondering about an arthritis connection. You may want to consider scheduling an appointment with your OS since it's now going on six months to rule out that possibility.

I wish you comfort and hope you find relief soon.

Last edited:
Oh my gosh @fanny23 I'm sorry, I was away for a few days and didn't notice your tagging of me. I'm so pleased that chiropractic adjustments may help you. It all takes time, as you well know.

I agree with what Jaycey said earlier on your thread. It may be time for you to find a good Physio Therapist or a physiatrist to evaluate your musculoskeletal issues.
Her suggestion of an osteopath is a good suggestion, too.
I'm certainly no doctor but am very familiar with back pain and hip issues and this is what I had to do to get myself balanced. Your description of crouching sounds familiar to me and have had that myself when my back flared a few years back.
But dear fanny23, we are all different and we really need to be examined by a medical professional and have them get us to the right people to help.

Wishing you the best outcome and will do a better job keeping an eye on your thread!! :flwrysmile:

:wave: @fanny23
Glad to see hips are improving and things will keep getting better ...I saw things get better and better up to a year and after.

Will be happy to change your thread title...just let us know what you would like to change it to.:yes:

Thank you so much @Layla, @CricketHip and @Mojo333. I really appreciate your input, support and suggestions. I don't think the knee issue is caused by arthritis, I had no trouble with them prior to the op. They are just very stiff and don't fold as far as they should. I think it is a muscular issue and have been trying to bend them a little more each day. I am going to stick with the chiropractor and physio for the time being and keep an osteopath as a possibility if progress is limited.
We've had grandson for the morning so my legs and I are now in recovery! I coped with aerial activities with aeroplanes but failed with down on the floor car tracks.
I also appreciate you all reminding me to be patient - somehow 6 months seems like long enough but I now know that 12 is more realistic. We are starting to plan for Christmas 2020, our 3 sons go to their in-laws this year and to us next. Since we are 8 adults and 2 (or more by then?) children, our house is full to bursting when they all visit. So we are going to rent a large house by the sea and my target is to once more be a fully functioning granny, and NOT one sitting in a chair all day or creeping around with a stick. I do hope that 21 months is a realistic amount of time for complete hippy recovery!!

Your Christmas planning sounds wonderful! I would say 21 months will get you there!

Good Morning,
Hopefully it's not arthritis. I only mentioned it because I had a similar issue with my knee post op, which actually has never been the same since surgery 26 mo ago. Through the course of a couple OS visits complaining about it, it was finally x-rayed and diagnosed as having mild arthritic changes. If you've had problems with yours pre-op it would be difficult to attribute the cause to surgery, but it may have aggravated your left knee.

With any luck the chiropractor and Physio will bring you relief. It is understandable to feel that we're completly healed at six months post op. since so many are feeling great by then, engaging in life as they had before their hip began its decline. In keeping that 12 month timeline in mind it allows room for continued improvement which you will notice, sometimes for even a longer period of time then one year.
May it all only get better for you. Happy Wednesday!
@fanny23

Six month anniversary today and, sadly, still not walking the dog!! Foolishly I did not heed the wise counsel of bonesmarties and went to physio last Monday. She had me doing lateral step ups and I have been suffering ever since. My lower back pain has returned, just as I thought it was improving, along with even more sore legs. Am back on paracetamol and, having been to a pain clinic, ibuprofen to help with my back. Needless to say I do not intend to make another appt with the physio - even though I have 'free' treatment as part of my self-pay package for the hip op. Onward to the next 6 months!

@fanny23 sorry for the set back but 6 months isn't anything to sneeze at either! You've come a long way and this is just one of those temporary set backs that we all seem to encounter along the way. Have a great Sunday!

Happy Six Month Anniversary. I wish you were feeling better on this special day.
I'm so sorry to hear of your setback. Try icing in addition to the paracetamol and hopefully you find speedy relief. Hugs and wishes for your comfort. :console2:
@fanny23

Aww,, sorry to read about your set back, but still wanted to wish you a Happy 6 Month Anniversary!!
I wonder, did the physio have you ice at the end of your
exercise session?

I agree about icing your hip, still. As long as you have discomfort, icing and resting is key to your recovery.

Take care and hopefully you will feel better soon.

Thank you so much @Elf1, @Layla and Carol (@CricketHip).Your support and that of other Bonesmarties over the last few months has been invaluable.
Red letter day yesterday - first independent outing to run some errands, motivated by needing to buy H a birthday present, pay in a cheque I found hiding in my purse, and buy our dog some mini biscuits to replace the large ones that H had been giving her as treats! I am feeling the consequences today - how long does it take for the leg muscles to stop moaning when they have to do something as basic as just walking??

how long does it take for the leg muscles to stop moaning when they have to do something as basic as just walking
Full recovery can take a year or more. Much of it depends on how long you limped around pre-op. Just keep trying - those muscles are complaining at suddenly having to work.

Thanks Jaycey, I did do a lot of 'hand walking' around the furniture in the house prior to the op so it makes sense that it will take time to get the muscles going again.
We are just planning a visit to my son and family who live in Barcelona, possible date is May 1st - so clears the 12 month target!

@fanny23
All these things fade ... in time.
It’s so hard when you feel you want to running along with life & your body won’t cooperate... From my first THR I remember it being a full 9 months until most issues completely disappeared....

I’m nearly 6 months out from 2nd THR & just a few niggles remain.. but quicker than my first one...

I’ve booked a family holiday too, for next May... so hoping my hips are good & my new knee which is going in on 14th October!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@fanny23 those outings can still be pretty energy draining, especially when it's your first solo one. This is just one of those things that takes patience and more patience.

Congratulations on 6 months post surgery. I too am 6 months and a couple weeks. I wanted to let you know that my non operated knee and hip never ever gave me a problem before surgery and were my life savers in so many ways. 10 weeks after my hip surgery I noticed my knee on my non operated side was starting to hurt and in 5 days I couldn't weight bear. My OS did an X-ray and said I have arthritis in both knees. Not bone on bone but enough to be causing me so much pain. He said it would calm down and gave me Meloxicam for 2 weeks and a shot but neither worked. He said it was bound to happen as I hadn't been exercising since surgery and my body was weak. I had started swimming and water aerobics gently at about 7 weeks. I think the deep water aerobics did it but not sure. It has improved about 85% to the point I can walk without my cane almost all day but have to do some form of exercise each day to lubricate my joint in the knee or I am in a lot of pain. Really sucks as I just thought I had my hip to deal with. It is good as I am over weight and now exercising at least 6 days a week but still hurts. Just saying in case your knee continues to give you trouble to check it out.
I am trying to figure out too how to get on the floor. I think I can get up easily with my knees and a chair close by but getting down has me full of anxiety. I am starting a class in a couple days that requires floor work (Feldenkrais) so am going to try today.
Good luck!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017
  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020
  • mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023

Forum statistics