THR Still struggling<

fanny23

Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Week 6 starts today. Progress so far has been slow complicated by low blood pressure issues. Very pleased to see that PT is not deemed to be essential to a good recovery as when I stood to do the exercises I felt faint! My expectations about recovery were very unrealistic, like childbirth, other THR acquaintances have forgotten the pain and focus on the successful outcome!
Am walking still using 2 sticks and limited to round the house and occasionally in the garden. Can go up and down stairs using sticks and am coping with limited range of normal activities. Looking forward to driving again - perhaps 3 weeks time?

Thank you!
Definitely a steep learning curve - currently sitting on painful bottom, difficult to get pain meds right. Trying to use just paracetamol as codeine has usual 'bunged up' side effects.
Appreciate all the current threads, thank you for sharing your experiences hippo community.

:wave:
Welcome to the forum. Could you please supply your surgery date and which hip was replaced so we can add it to your signature.
Also, here is some useful information for you.

Hip Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
elevate
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)
3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.
4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these
BoneSmart philosophy for sensible post op therapy
5. At week 4 and after you should follow this
Activity progression for THRs
6. Access these pages on the website
Oral And Intravenous Pain Medications
Wound Care In Hospital

Pain management and the pain chart
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of THR recovery

Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key

Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it

Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don'tgive them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

Slow and steady wins this race...well worth all the struggles in the end!:yes:

Try eating dried figs or apricots and oatbran with milk. It helped me tolerate the codeine. Eventually I went down to just paracetamol but Pain was bad enough in the early days I took anything I could get. No chance iof addiction though. I cut back as soon as the pain was less. Do ice frequently and sit on an ice pack if necessary. It will all work out eventually!

Having a rough day myself today and nearly 8 months out. Fortunately rare now but still healing!

Hi, left hip replaced, surgery was on 8th March.

Thanks for suggestions, have tried apricots, prunes and now on lactolose which seems to be working.

Welcome to BoneSmart. You will find lots of info and support here on the forum. I am assuming by now you have been back to your surgeons office for a postop check and that you told him/her about any concerns you had? The best thing for pain is ice. Try elevating your leg and using ice in the area that is sore multiple times each day. The elevating keeps the swelling down and the ice helps the pain. Initially I had ice on my sore area almost all day except for when I was up for a trip to the kitchen or bathroom. I had several of the gel ice packs on hand somwhen one started to get warm, I replaced it with a frozen one from the freezer. It really helped. You are still in early days of recovery so lots of healing going on. If you haven’t talked to your doctors office about any concerns you have yet, I’d suggest giving them a call. They are there to help you and you should call them when needed. Of course, you have everyone here on BoneSmart, too, but each doctor seems to have a slightly different protocol so it is good to check with them, too. Sending good wishes your way.....

Hi, Welcome to BoneSmart. Thanks for joining us.
Please stop back often with any questions you may have. We'll do our best to answer them for you.
We're always here to offer support and encouragement as you're healing so don't be a stranger.
I hope you have a lovely weekend!
@fanny23

Welcome to BoneSmart. You will find lots of info and support here on the forum. I am assuming by now you have been back to your surgeons office for a postop check and that you told him/her about any concerns you had? The best thing for pain is ice. Try elevating your leg and using ice in the area that is sore multiple times each day. The elevating keeps the swelling down and the ice helps the pain. Initially I had ice on my sore area almost all day except for when I was up for a trip to the kitchen or bathroom. I had several of the gel ice packs on hand somwhen one started to get warm, I replaced it with a frozen one from the freezer. It really helped. You are still in early days of recovery so lots of healing going on. If you haven’t talked to your doctors office about any concerns you have yet, I’d suggest giving them a call. They are there to help you and you should call them when needed. Of course, you have everyone here on BoneSmart, too, but each doctor seems to have a slightly different protocol so it is good to check with them, too. Sending good wishes your way.....

Thank you everyone who has added to the thread.
I have been in touch with my GP who has prescribed codeine and recommended taking it at the same time as paracetamol 4 times a day. This seems to help but does not get on top of the pain all the time. I haven't tried ice as the pain seems quite widespread - buttocks, inner of both legs, groin, lumbar area and left calf at different times. I am hoping that this us due to muscles reorganising themselves and healing. My surgeon suggested that this is probably the case. Think I am just going to have to be patient

I haven't tried ice as the pain seems quite widespread - buttocks, inner of both legs, groin, lumbar area and left calf at different times.
Please ice that hip.:ice::ice::ice:
It's a hippy's best friend...super good anti-inflammatory and pain reliever.
Swelling is inflammation and it will refer pain to lots of places.
Elevate and Ice whatever-whenever you can and I'm guessing in a few days you will see a noticeable difference in the pain and tightness.

Healing hugs and hope you have a good Sunday!:loveshwr:

Thank you! 2 codeine at 2.30am helped and am having a better day, managing on 1 stick while pottering around the house.
I have had so much help from this site, it's such a relief to hear that other hippies are facing the same problems as me and reading all the many positive outcomes.
Hope you're all having a good weekend.

I agree with Mojo. Give the ice a try definitely. Just ice the central surgical area and then move as needed but definitely give it a try. We have all used the ice and benefited.

I'm glad you have checked in with your doctor to get more information and help. I think too many folks are worried about calling them....they don't want to be a bother. As @GrannyC said above, they are there to help you and should be used as a resource after surgery as well.

I used to avoid icing---didn't like the cold feeling. After my hip replacement I kept hearing here on the forum about how helpful it was, and I gave in, and started doing it. What an amazing difference it made! There are lots of ways you can ice. I like some of the thinner gel packs that have a cloth covering, as well as a couple that have a wrap that holds them on your body. There are lots of different sizes. You might look online at Amazon and check some of them out. (I imagine that going out shopping right now might be challenging.) :ice:

@fanny23
I found using the codeine in between the paracetamol more helpful....I had something to take when the pain developed further.
yes, recovery is definitely an exercise in being patient... something which I have never been good at[emoji51]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Now possess an achy left leg, new hip side, possibly overdoing it?? Have been using just one stick pottering around indoors, left leg not very good at supporting any weight. Sticks drive me nuts, anyone who can invent sticks that do not constantly hurl themselves to the ground could make a fortune!

Thank you everyone who has added to the thread.
I have been in touch with my GP who has prescribed codeine and recommended taking it at the same time as paracetamol 4 times a day. This seems to help but does not get on top of the pain all the time. I haven't tried ice as the pain seems quite widespread - buttocks, inner of both legs, groin, lumbar area and left calf at different times. I am hoping that this us due to muscles reorganising themselves and healing. My surgeon suggested that this is probably the case. Think I am just going to have to be patient
Please please try ice, it's amazing and really soothing

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie
Recent bookmarks