THR Still limping after Hip surgery

leerica71

Country
United States United States
I had HIP replacement in July. On 10/20 it will be 3 mos. I have been in physical therapy 2x per wk since August. On other days I do the excercises I do with therapist and have invested in a Tens unit for electrical stimulation. I go for 30 minute walks at least 5 times per wk. Although I no longer have pain in Hip, I am now worried that I will keep limping and will have to depend on cane. I will be seeing my orthopedist who performed surgery in 2 weeks since I believe my hip surg leg is shorter than the other. please let me know if this typical with other folks.

:hi: @leerica71 and welcome to Bonesmart.
Please could you tell us your exact surgery date and which hip you had replaced so we can put this information in your signature and add you to the July recovery group.

It is great not to have that horrid hip pain, isn't it?:) :-) (:
There are many members who struggle with "losing the limp" and it sounds like you have done alot of exercising that leg and perhaps it is staying tight because it needs a bit more rest. Have you been icing and elevating any since your surgery?

Did you acquire your TENS unit for pain management for your leg?

I found shorter walks were more helpful than longer ones while concentrating on my gait.
Striking heel first and rolling on to toe.
Many new hippys worry that their is a leg length differential but this often just perceived due to the tightness and inflammation. (Click on the highlighted text above to see our article on LLD)

I'm really wondering if you have possibly been working too hard on recovery and possibly some more rest, and ice and elevation would help most of all.
Below I will leave you our recovery guidelines even though you are 3 months out...there are some great articles about recovery expectations.

Hip Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary​
2. Control discomfort
rest
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​

3. Do what you want to do BUT​
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you​
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​

4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these

5. At week 4 and after you should follow this

6. Access to these pages on the website

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

I found that time and distance weren't the best gauge for walking. My most productive walking was when I went slow and concentrated on form. I went to the WM superstore and used a shopping cart as a walker and walked slowly and deliberately. My OS recommended going to a mall and watching myself walk in the reflection in the window.

Mojo333
My surgery date was 7/20/20 and it was my right HIP. I brought the Tens unit for pain with my left knee which has bothered me for years, and a few orthopedic docs have advised surgery which I am not ready to have. I recently was approved for Pensaid 2% which has helped but the knee pain wakes me up so I have been taking tylenol 500 two capsules. The knee pain got worse after HIP surgery. I have had cortisone injection 1 month after hip surgery. I haven't iced HIP in a month, instead icing the knee. I feel better after reading....... BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. Physical therapy has helped because right leg was really stiff but it is better. I had recently began to have post op blues so I am happy I found this site.

My physical therapist noticed how I was limping and checked the level of my hip bones. She tried 4 different heel lifts and the 1/4" lift worked wonders. I could walk normally with it. (I still use a cane sometimes)Today I went to my orthopedic surgeon for my 6 week checkup. He told me the x-ray showed that my right leg was indeed shorter and the insert was a good idea. Best wishes on finding something that works.

@leerica71 - Thank you for your surgery date. I have done your signature and added your name to the July Sparklers surgery group.

I had recently began to have post op blues so I am happy I found this site.

I’m sorry you’re feeling down. Please know we’re here for you anytime you need us.
Hopefully the blues ease soon and you feel more like your old self.
Here’s to brighter days. :SUNsmile:
Hugs :console2:

Hi and welcome. Lots of support here from everyone going through the same recovery journey but each with their own challenges. Lots of ideas also as to how to deal or just sharing the journey helps us get through this challenging time. I hope your day is a peaceful one. :flwrysmile:

Happy Three Month Anniversary!
Take heart...brighter days are on their way! :happydance:
Hope you’re enjoying a beautiful Autumn. :)
@leerica71

My right HIP where I had surgery stopped hurting almost a month after the operation. I am now scheduled to have my left HIP done in December. I have no pain in that HIP but xrays show alot of deterioration, so I decided to have it done before it starts hurting. However, my left knee which doctor told me is really bad is now hurting so bad in past month that I have to take 500 mg tylenol during the night when pain wakes me up. I was also approved for Pensaid 2% which is higher dosage of Voltaren, and it does allieviate pain. However it is very expensive. My copay for this was $300 and my plan paid $2400 which was incredible. But it is only 3.8 ounces so I use it sparingly. I am going to contact my ortho to cancel HIP and schedule my knee instead. But my concern is that the rehab for knees is longer than HIPs, and with Covid19 I don't think I will be sent to a rehab facility and will have to do all rehab at home. I really believe that my knee got worse because I compensated for right HIP with this knee. Please let me know your thoughts. Thank you.

Hi @leerica71
Glad to hear your right hip is doing well.:) :-) (:
My surgeon does hips and knees so in wondering if it is the same OS or a different one that will be doing your knee?
It is so hard to tell with 'alot of deterioration' with left hip, how much that and relying on it through first hip recovery has put stress on that knee.
Certainly your OS could help suss out the best route for you.
I am sorry that the knee is causing you so much grief and that the medication is so expensive....geez.
Perhaps you could start thread on knee preop side if you feel this will be your next surgery to get some input.
I'm sure there are also hipsters over there and also some great knee recovery advice.
Wishing you a peaceful Saturday.

Thank u for response. I have appt Tues to doc and to get cortisone in knee. I cancelled hip surg and she and I are going to talk about knee surgery

I had a bilateral hip replacement 16 years ago. I have a permanent slight limp when I walk from the hip replacement due to my hips being displaced from birth. Its not really noticeable. I'm just grateful I can walk.

Knees can be harder than hips to recover but there is not necessarily a need for a rehab facility. I did no outside PT with my second knee and my recovery went as well as my first knee. I did not outside PT for my hips as well and they are both great.

Happy Four Month Anniversary!
I hope the cortisone injection is helping with the knee pain. With any luck between your knee and hip you’re experiencing times of comfort and relief. Stay in touch and let us know how you’re doing. All the best to you!
@leerica71

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie
Recent bookmarks