TKR Still lagging in recovery

Lovebugs

Country
United States United States
Thank you!
I am now 3 days out from my right TKR. Went home after one night in hospital. Doing pretty well, I have a friend here to help. I’m a bit surprised at how much pain I’m still having. It has changed some in quality. With walking, there is quite a sharp pain just below the patella in front, that I hadn’t noticed before.
Definitely taking pain med on schedule.
Apparently my “gasps” of pain are frightening my cats! One hid under the bed for 2 1/2 days.

Jockette

Staff member since March 2018
BoneSmart Staff
Country
@Lovebugs Hi and Welcome to Recovery!

You‘ve had a major surgery that caused a lot of trauma and disruption inside your knee and leg, so there will be pain for a while, as your leg is upset.

I‘m glad you have a friend with you right now to help.

Poor kitties! :kitty:

I will leave you our Recovery Guidelines. Each article is short but very informative. Following these guidelines will help you have a less painful recovery.

Just keep in mind all people are different, as are the approaches to this recovery and rehab. The key is, “Find what works for you.“ Your doctors, PTs and BoneSmart are available to help, but you are the final judge as to the recovery approach you choose.

Knee Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​

3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you​
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​

4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these

5. At week 4 and after you should follow this

6. Access to these pages on the website

The Recovery articles:
The importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart
Swollen and stiff knee: what causes it?
Energy drain for TKRs
Elevation is the key
Ice to control pain and swelling
Heel slides and how to do them properly
Chart representation of TKR recovery
Healing: how long does it take?

Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

There are also some cautionary articles here
Myth busting: no pain, no gain
Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in the majority of BoneSmart’s forums, we ask that each member have only One Recovery Thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review the member’s history before providing advice, so please post any updates or questions you have right here in this thread.

Jockette

Staff member since March 2018
BoneSmart Staff
Country
@Lovebugs
By the way, I moved your newest post and started a recovery thread for you. So, please keep all your uodates in this thread. Doing this benefits you because all your information will be in one place, easy to find, and maintains a nice journal for you.

This also benefits our staff, as your information is all in one place, and we often go back through your thread for previous details, so we know what you‘ve been through which helps us advise you better.

If you’d like a new title, let us know what you want, and we’ll change it for you.

Many members bookmark their thread in their computer browser, so they can find it when they log on.
How can I find my threads and posts?

Best wishes on your recovery! :flwrysmile:

Bluesteel

Country
Hello Lovebugs and welcome to the other side! First couple of days are the worse . Hang in there. Every day better than the last. Moderators have good advice on this site. And your kitties know you're hurting. Take care of yourself and thoughts to you for healthy healing...

OP
OP
L

Lovebugs

Country
Thank you all!
Jockette, I’d like to re-name this thread “On My Way”.:egypdance:

OP
OP
L

Lovebugs

Country
So, anyone still waiting to have their first BM since surgery? I had a spinal and day 5 post surgery is coming to an end. Nothing, though there are hints of awakening.
:skep::whistle:

kate97497

Country
@Lovebugs, I used the Smooth Move Tea that was recommended here by a number of people. Worked very well for me. I only stayed on constipating pain pills for 3 days so I don’t know if it would have worked long term. It is a miserable feeling. And then you dread the first BM.

newlybionic

Staff member since July 2016
BoneSmart Staff
Country
You can also try Miralax which is a powder that can be added to a drink of your choice. It will usually produce a BM in a day or two at most. Its important to take some sort of stool softener or the miralax daily while you are taking a narcotic as they slow your bowels.

OP
OP
L

Lovebugs

Country
Have been on stool softeners 2x daily since the surgery, and took 1/2 dose miralax on Wednesday and full dose on Friday.
prune juice being delivered today!
Thanks for suggestions.

Susie-Q

Staff member since February 2022
BoneSmart Staff
Country
Apparently my “gasps” of pain are frightening my cats! One hid under the bed for 2 1/2 days.

One of our cats was scared to death of the walker and would run and hide whenever I came squeaking down the hallway. The other one (geriatric kitty) would barely get out of my way and it didn't bother her at all.

I ended up using too many solutions to solve the constipation problem (prune juice, prunes, Miralax and stool softener) and after the first, painful BM I had the opposite problem. It was horrific! The Smooth Move tea worked great for me as long as I remembered to have 1-2 cups a day I was regular as clockwork.

OP
OP
L

Lovebugs

Country
Aren’t kitties funny- all such different reactions! I have 3, and all different.
Yes, going too far the other direction is why I’m being a bit conservative about what I’m using for constipation. Don’t want a LANDSLIDE!

kate97497

Country
@Lovebugs My two are so happy have me home, but they seem to like to lay on my surgical leg. Trying to pass on some healing power, or punish me for being gone for two weeks?

jaspa

senior
Country
I have 2 sisters 1 yr old and a male 10 yr old. They hate not being in bedroom in my bed. I have a lap table I have on my lap in living room to avoid them getting on my lap, kittens lay on table and I moved kitchen chair next to me so the senior can sit by me.

Susie-Q

Staff member since February 2022
BoneSmart Staff
Country
My daughter's cat, Olive, (the 15+lb behemoth) loves to sleep on our bed and of course, right in between my legs or feet. We let her back in a week or so ago when my daughter was gone over night, thinking that because I wasn't using my body pillow for elevating and sleeping above the covers (she would want to sleep on top of that and probably ON my leg) she could sleep on the bed again. Well, that ended pretty quickly because turning and adjusting and doing the pillow shuffle was impossible with Miss Dead Weight at the end of the bed. So we kicked her out again. Eventually, when The Knee will allow it, she can come back in with us.....

I've had several instances of both cats laying on or next to my legs on the couch. It's fine now that I'm mostly healed. It's a rare occurrence though as they don't get along very well. (geriatric kitty, Maggie is a grouch)

OP
OP
L

Lovebugs

Country
I love the stories about dealing with our beloved kitties! Miss Dead Weight, I love it!
and that reminds me, I had read a comment about considering moving HEAVY bedcovers. YES! I’m going to be doing some rearranging, they are uncomfortable on the lower legs.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• kneeper
    Staff member since January 2014
  • Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
NextStep
Recent bookmarks