BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Joint Replacement Patient Advocacy
and Online Community
  1. Announcing BoneSmart's NEW Joint Surgeon Locator tool

We are pleased to now offer a tool to help you find just the right surgeon for your needs. If your surgeon is not listed, please let us know and we'll get them added.

Read more about this in this announcement:

Dismiss Notice

[THR] Still in pain after 7 months^

Discussion in 'Hip Replacement Recovery Area' started by iraprana, Jan 19, 2019.

1. iraprana

iraprana new member

United States United States
    Hello, I had THR in July 2018 and everything was fine. I had anterior approach and went home the same day. Then I realized that half of my leg is numb. It has been 6 months. I've had injections, PT, numerous visits with my doctor, oral meds and it is not better.

I have groin pain, tightness, very tight IT band. My scar is very sore and I am in pain. I don't know where to go.

Which doctor can help me? I have been to neurologist, anesthesiologist, psyshiatrist. I think my nerve is stuck in scar or underneath the tendon. I am in pain all the time.

I live in Boca Raton, but willing to go anywhere. Please help. I'm young and I need to walk a lot for work. Thank you

2. Jaycey

Jaycey SUPER MODERATOR Moderator

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    @iraprana So sorry you are still having issues post THR. What has your surgeon said regarding this pain? Your surgeon should be the first person to consult on this.

I'm going to tag our forum medical expert @Josephine to perhaps advise you. She will ask for more input from you regarding things like activity level and swelling.

3. Layla

Layla FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

Hi, Welcome to BoneSmart. Thanks for joining us.
    I'm sorry you're struggling so at six months post op. I agree with Jaycey that my OS would be my first point of contact. After all, what you describe is all surgery related. At least that's how it sounds.
    I wish you comfort as you await a diagnosis and plan a course to alleviate your pain. I will look forward to Josephine's' response.
    Hugs :console2: We're here for you.
    @iraprana

4. Josephine

Josephine FORUM ADMIN, NURSE DIRECTOR Administrator

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Perhaps you would indicate where this pain is using this chart?

aa hip-references-horz.jpg

I'd really like to offer you some structured advice but in order to do that, I also need to ask you some questions. Are you willing for me to do that?

5. iraprana

iraprana new member

I had Right THR anterior approach in July 2018. Since then I have been having pain and numbness of right thigh, groin pain, concaved scar and now my foot hurts and I feel like my muscles are contracting on the whole foot. I have been to numerous surgeons and neurologists, therapy, massage but cannot find an anwer. At this point I would do anything. My symptoms have not improved at all in a year. I live in Florida but will go anywhere. Please help

6. Pumpkln

Pumpkln FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

@iraprana
    You'll notice that I have merged your newest thread with your original recovery thread. For several reasons, we prefer that you only have one recovery thread:
    • That way, we have all your information in one place. This makes it easier to go back and review your history before providing advice.
    • If you keep starting new threads, you miss the posts and advice others have left for you in the old threads, and some information may be unnecessarily repeated
    • Having only one thread will act as a diary of your progress that you can look back on.
    So please post any updates, questions or concerns about your recovery here. If you prefer a different thread title, just post what you want and we'll get it changed for you.
    If you need an urgent response to a question, just tag a member of staff.
    How to tag another member; how to answer when someone tags you

Here are the instructions on finding your thread, How can I find my threads and posts? . Many members bookmark their thread, so they can find it when they log on.

7. Pumpkln

Pumpkln FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

Sorry you are having continuing pain and discomfort.
    Josephine may be able to help you if you locate the location of your pain using the graph in Post #4 in this thread.

You can use the Surgeon Locator in the blue ribbon at the top of the page, to start your search for a surgeon specializing in Revisions or complex joint reconstruction.

8. Debru4

Debru4 graduate

I'm sure you are incredibly frustrated and distressed over your continuing pain and assorted symptoms nearly a year after your surgery. It sounds like none of your doctors have been able to give you a hard diagnosis---just curious what types of things they have been looking for?

It seems you have a lot going on and I am not an expert by any means. There are a couple things I too have experienced, but haven't found them to be as painful, or worrisome as yours. I had my surgery on August 3, and still have considerable numbness outside my scar, and pain on the scar. I understand this is very normal, with some folks gradually noticing the feeling return, and others not so much. I also feel like my scar is somewhat concave but once again, my understanding is that that is very normal---so much rearranging takes place during the replacement and each incision is slightly different due to our structural differences and our surgeon's techniques.

I think sometimes resetting and going totally outside our current physicians for fresh eyes can be helpful and hope you can find the right doctors to help you.