THR Still hurting 1½ yrs post-op<

Boy, I hear you on that spring and warm water business---although it's a long ways off for me here in Colorado! I have never done more than a few stretches here and there, but do find when things start stiffening up, that a bit of a stretch can help me. I'm surprised that water exercise made things worse for you? The recumbent bike should be helpful. Sure hope things pick up for you soon after taking a break and resting!:flwrysmile:

He said my muscles are good and strong but they tighten up and try to spasm and he believed the stretching exercises would cure the thigh muscle AND joint pain. It did not.
They never do!

As for your pain image, that indicates a wide area of ITB (ilio-tibial band) issues which is definitely activity induced. So can I please remind you of this

Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

Are you doing those exercises, stretches that you listed? I can make my leg hurt like yours does if I do some of those moves. Especially bridges! From the get go my outer thigh stayed sore for quite a while. If I ran my hand down my outer thigh it was tender. I get stiffness/soreness in my IT band especially first thing in the morning. Once I get moving it goes away but it's very slight and no where near needing any medication.

I don't think exercising in the pool caused it because the pain in my hip (when walking, not when in the water) was the same before, during, and after pool season. The PT said my pain was from exercising without stretching but his stretching exercises didn't fix it like he thought they would!

He also said the pain my thigh muscle was from walking too much. But I don't walk that much! I haven't been on my treadmill or taken my dog for a walk (both of which I would love to be able to do) and am using my cane more now. Not ALL the time like the PT told me to because there are things around the house that need to get done that I simply cannot do with a cane in my hand! But I do try to use it more than I had been.

And I have to say my pain is less when I use the cane instead of limping along without it.
I have stopped doing the daily exercise regimen as it didn't seem to serve any purpose. The pain in my hip joint is the worst when I first get out of bed - but eases after taking Motrin and moving around. It's still there, but is tolerable. The thigh pain comes on through the day (from walking around the house without my cane?) and often aches at night so that I use a roller-thingy to massage it because I can feel that the muscle is very hard.

I don't think exercising in the pool caused it because the pain in my hip (when walking, not when in the water) was the same before, during, and after pool season. I have stopped doing the daily exercise regimen as it didn't seem to serve any purpose.
An excellent decision! Did you remember this advice? Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.
And I have to say my pain is less when I use the cane instead of limping along without it.
Yes, it will be!
but eases after taking Motrin and moving around
I suggest that you try Tylenol instead of NSAIDs. It is a much better pain med and doesn't have the side effects that NSAIDs do. Medications: acetaminophen (Tylenol, paracetamol) and NSAIDs, differences and dangers Tylenol should be take 1,000mg every 6hrs.

I'll switch over to Tylenol and try to keep using my cane more. Will let you know if that makes a difference.
Thank you all so much for your help! xoxo

Glad to hear you are kind of starting over and letting your body reset---resting, addressing pain with ice and acetaminophen, etc.

It's what we need to do anytime we overdo or injure ourselves, even if we haven't just had a major surgery. It seems like setbacks can occur for a long time after---that's such a hard part of this!

Take care, and keep us posted....hopefully things will turn around soon.

:wave: Hi @GrammieRee
It is advised we use an assistive device until we're no longer limping.
A tip -
Try heel-toe walking when / if you're limping. Let your heel hit the ground first followed by toes.
It takes a concentrated effort but I believe you'll notice a difference. Give it a try.
I hope you have a great weekend! :)

Oh really? Thank you, I'll try that! :) Mostly I've been concentrating on walking with my leg straight under me instead of out to the side. It hurts more that way, but the limp isn't as bad.

Three years post-THR now. Still have pain in right hip that was replaced, and Osteoarthritis now in left hip. Finally got a doctor to order an MRI back in February in hopes of finding out what's wrong but then came this Covid mess and, and since this isn't an emergency, I've not been able to see the doctor to get an explanation of what the MRI report means! I've tried several times to google as I go along to help me understand but it's ALL medical terms and it's like trying to read something in a different language.
I know it's a LOT to ask, but if I uploaded my reports here would someone be willing to translate it into plain English that I can understand?

Hello, I’m sorry you’re still struggling with pain three years out and like so many feel neglected due to Covid. The forum nurse, Josephine, retired so I’m unable to tag her to see if she could help with your report.

Have you left a message for whoever ordered the MRI to go over the results with you? I’d call the office and tell them you would like to speak with your physician to go over the MRI report in an effort to help you understand. Consider starting there and let us know how it goes.

Wishing you luck!
@GrammieRee

Thank you, Layla! I had the THR done in KS so I could stay with my daughter after. But I did see an Ortho dr here in FL and he did several xrays, gave me a shot in the hip, had me do another full round of PT for months, then said he had no idea what was wrong so we should just replace it again. :nah:
So I haven't been back to him. When my insurance changed this year I had to get a new primary dr and she is the one who ordered the MRI's. I don't know if she would be able to decipher it all for me or not. I've not seen her because I'm trying not to leave my house more than I absolutely have to, and she is only seeing people who NEED to be seen. That's why I was hoping maybe someone here could help.

@GrammieRee Just want to add that your xray looks good to me! But I'm no expert so take that for what it is worth. Anyway, I cannot tell if it shows any screws the surgeon may have used to secure the cup and/or stem in any way. My surgeon needed to use screws because he had to re-seat the cup in my pelvis due to a complication during surgery on my L hip. I am sure having to take out my cup a second time was a bloody mess and contributed to its longer heal time. I researched that screws can sometimes poke out the other side of the pelvis bone and irritate whatever nerve/tissues is on that side. Imagine having a screw right where you would sit down, or one that got irritated whenever you put a belt on, etc? I had to read and decipher my report to know it was re-seated and that he used screws.
I thought your exercises were a bit much especially if the pain didn't subside. I know you cut back a lot on them but my experience and BS guidelines said walking is the best, so that's what I did exclusively until it was better.
Good luck!
Edit: Looking closer at your xray and your pain chart does it look like your bone at the top of the femur is very thin walled? I see where the stem goes all the way into the femur that bone is very thick walled but where you indicate looks like the bone didn't like being worked on by the surgeon. It looks like it is traumatized still and hasn't healed all the way. IDK just trying to help.

Last edited:
I don't know if she would be able to decipher it all for me or not. I've not seen her because I'm trying not to leave my house more than I absolutely have to, and she is only seeing people who NEED to be seen

That’s understandable, GrammieRee,
I can’t imagine the doctor didn‘t also receive a copy of the MRI report for your file. I’d think as a physician she could understand the language? Hmm, Let me tag @Jamie and see if she has anything to add...

@GrammieRee , these days with COVID restrictions, most doctors and medical offices will offer phone consultations. Since your GP ordered the MRI, that is who you should call and ask for a phone meeting with your doctor to learn the results of the imaging. She will be able to translate the radiologist's report for you. Where in Kansas did you have your surgery?

Thank you, Layla and Jamie!

It took me forever to just get a copy of the MRI report because when I called my PCP to ask them to send me a copy they said they didn't have it, they had sent it to the last Ortho Dr I saw here in Florida - the one who said he didn't know what was wrong so let's just replace it again. So I guess they didn't keep a copy, which surprised me as well! So I called the Ortho Dr's office to ask for a copy but they said they didn't have it either! Of course the place I had the MRI done won't send it to anyone but a doctor, but said with photo ID I could pick up a copy in person. Took a long time for me to get there because we were not leaving the house unless we HAD to, but finally on one outing I was able to stop by there and got a disc w/the MRI photos as well as a copy of the report - which is great, except I don't understand most of it!

I had my THR done at the Orthopaedic Institute in Kansas City. My daughter lives in KS and was able to go with me, take me to PT and appts, and help me while I stayed with her for a few months.

The report talks about the problems with my left hip and lower back as well, but this is what it says about my right hip:

Susceptibly artifact related to right hip arthroplasty, with surgical scarring from posterior approach. No periprosthetic fracture or stress related edema. No periprosthetic osseous resorption. Small nonspecific postoperative effusion, without significant synovitis. There is a small perforation in the posterior capsule with resultant mild fluid accumulation within the right greater trochanteric bursa. There is hypertrophic scarring of the anterior capsule, with questionable increased acetabular anteversion.

Status post right hip arthroplasty, with nonspecific postoperative effusion, but no evidence of osteolysis or periprosthetic fracture. There is a small amount of fluid in the greater trochanteric bursa,
probably due to an occult perforation in the posterior capsule. There is borderline excessive anteversion of the right acetabular component, and hypertrophic scarring of the anterior capsule, which can be seen with instability.

This mention of a perforation of the capsule concerns me, but the "anteversion of the right acetabular component" and the "hypertrophic scarring" worry me more! I just don't know if any of these things would cause the pain I still have or if there's anything I could (or should) do about them..

The pain I still have is often hit-or-miss. I'll be doing all right, walking along, and all of a sudden BAM a sharp pain that almost takes me down! But there are times I can guarantee it's going to hurt too, like when I'm bent over to do something (getting pans from a low cupboard, cleaning the litter box, etc) it's going to HURT when I stand back upright. And when I get up from sitting for a while, like getting out of the car, I have to stand still and "get my leg under me" before I'm able to walk, even with my cane.

I hope you can give me some insight and/or advice. As my left hip keeps getting worse I worry it will need replacing too, and I don't dare to have that done if my right leg is still hurting! I don't know, I just turned 60 so maybe I should just deal with the pain as part of old age. lol Anyway, thanks for listening. :)

Those reports can really get complex, but I still think your best bet is to make certain your primary care doctor who ordered it has a copy, and spends some time going over it with you, via phone or teleconference. In the event you'd need something further done, most likely your primary care doctor would have to do a referral or be involved in some capacity, so you want to be sure they are in the loop. Frankly, your description of them misplacing your records, etc. sounds worrisome in terms of confidence in your doctor. Don't be thinking 60 is old---you still have lots of years left!:flwrysmile:

Hello @GrammieRee
The pain you describe is questionable and something I’d want an explanation for. I would make a call to the physician who ordered the MRI and get them to go over the report with you so you have a better understanding. Next, I’d look for a new OS to take a look at all and also address the state of your left hip.

I just turned 60 so maybe I should just deal with the pain as part of old age.

I don’t think you need to accept status quo and I hope you won’t.
Please stay in touch and let us know what you find out.
Wishing you comfort and good luck in getting the info you’re looking for.

Please don't feel like you have to just deal with the pain. But you really need to discuss the results of this test with the doctor that ordered it. Getting to the bottom of your pain answering your questions will best be done by someone who knows your case and can examine you if needed.

I am in Kansas City and have had both my knees and my shoulder done at the Kansas City Orthopedic Institute. Which surgeon did you have. It's an excellent facility and you may be able to get a teleconference with your surgeon. I'm assuming you won't be back in Kansas City right away to have a face to face appointment.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Dave4562
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom