BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Joint Replacement Patient Advocacy
and Online Community
  1. RATE YOUR SURGEON ON OUR NEW JOINT SURGEON LOCATOR

Your opinion matters so please click on this announcement to find out how to rate the surgeons you have worked with

You could also go to the Surgeon Locator via the blue nav bar at the top - find the tab "Surgeon Locator"

Dismiss Notice

[THR] Still hurting 1½ yrs post-op<

Discussion in 'Hip Replacement Recovery Area' started by GrammieRee, Jan 31, 2019.

1. Debru4

Debru4 graduate

United States United States
    Boy, I hear you on that spring and warm water business---although it's a long ways off for me here in Colorado! I have never done more than a few stretches here and there, but do find when things start stiffening up, that a bit of a stretch can help me. I'm surprised that water exercise made things worse for you? The recumbent bike should be helpful. Sure hope things pick up for you soon after taking a break and resting!:flwrysmile:

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  2. Josephine

Josephine FORUM ADMIN, NURSE DIRECTOR Administrator

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    They never do!

As for your pain image, that indicates a wide area of ITB (ilio-tibial band) issues which is definitely activity induced. So can I please remind you of this

Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

3. Eman85

Eman85 post-grad

Are you doing those exercises, stretches that you listed? I can make my leg hurt like yours does if I do some of those moves. Especially bridges! From the get go my outer thigh stayed sore for quite a while. If I ran my hand down my outer thigh it was tender. I get stiffness/soreness in my IT band especially first thing in the morning. Once I get moving it goes away but it's very slight and no where near needing any medication.

• Like Like x 1
  4. GrammieRee

GrammieRee new member

I don't think exercising in the pool caused it because the pain in my hip (when walking, not when in the water) was the same before, during, and after pool season. The PT said my pain was from exercising without stretching but his stretching exercises didn't fix it like he thought they would!

He also said the pain my thigh muscle was from walking too much. But I don't walk that much! I haven't been on my treadmill or taken my dog for a walk (both of which I would love to be able to do) and am using my cane more now. Not ALL the time like the PT told me to because there are things around the house that need to get done that I simply cannot do with a cane in my hand! But I do try to use it more than I had been.

And I have to say my pain is less when I use the cane instead of limping along without it.
    I have stopped doing the daily exercise regimen as it didn't seem to serve any purpose. The pain in my hip joint is the worst when I first get out of bed - but eases after taking Motrin and moving around. It's still there, but is tolerable. The thigh pain comes on through the day (from walking around the house without my cane?) and often aches at night so that I use a roller-thingy to massage it because I can feel that the muscle is very hard.

5. Josephine

Josephine FORUM ADMIN, NURSE DIRECTOR Administrator

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    An excellent decision! Did you remember this advice? Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.
    Yes, it will be!
    I suggest that you try Tylenol instead of NSAIDs. It is a much better pain med and doesn't have the side effects that NSAIDs do. Medications: acetaminophen (Tylenol, paracetamol) and NSAIDs, differences and dangers Tylenol should be take 1,000mg every 6hrs.

6. GrammieRee

GrammieRee new member

I'll switch over to Tylenol and try to keep using my cane more. Will let you know if that makes a difference.
    Thank you all so much for your help! xoxo

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  7. Debru4

Debru4 graduate

Glad to hear you are kind of starting over and letting your body reset---resting, addressing pain with ice and acetaminophen, etc.

It's what we need to do anytime we overdo or injure ourselves, even if we haven't just had a major surgery. It seems like setbacks can occur for a long time after---that's such a hard part of this!

Take care, and keep us posted....hopefully things will turn around soon.

8. GrammieRee

GrammieRee new member

Thank you, and yes, I surely will! :)

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  9. Layla

Layla FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

:wave: Hi @GrammieRee
    It is advised we use an assistive device until we're no longer limping.
    A tip -
    Try heel-toe walking when / if you're limping. Let your heel hit the ground first followed by toes.
    It takes a concentrated effort but I believe you'll notice a difference. Give it a try.
    I hope you have a great weekend! :)

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  10. GrammieRee

GrammieRee new member

Oh really? Thank you, I'll try that! :) Mostly I've been concentrating on walking with my leg straight under me instead of out to the side. It hurts more that way, but the limp isn't as bad.

• Like Like x 1