TKR Still have knee pain!

Plainfield

Country
United States United States
I had my total knee replacement in July 2021
For 2 months (Feb & March) my knee was totally numb
About 2 weeks ago the numbness slowed down but my knee began to really hurt. I can't walk without pain, sit on toilet without real pain or just sit in a chair. It hurts to put any pressure on that knee.
I went back to my doctor this week and he took exrays and said they look ok. He said I probably need to do more exercises.
This knee almost hurts more now than before my surgery.
Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks, Judy

I don’t think more exercises are going to alleviate your pain. Too often, working too hard on the exercises all along can increase our pain.

What have you been doing in your recovery as far as exercise goes? What’s a normal day for you, now, in the first couple of months, and then in between?

Hello Judy,
Welcome to BoneSmart. Thanks for joining us!

Please leave the exact date of your surgery along with which knee was replaced, right or left, so we can add that information to your signature. The information is helpful to those that stop by to comment on your thread. Thanks in advance.

I‘m sorry you’re struggling with pain. If you are exercising daily, give some thought to taking a break for a few weeks and see if you notice any improvement. I’m wondering if your knee is swollen? If so, ice and elevation may help ease the pain. Following you’ll find articles on both.

https://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/elevation-doing-it-the-right-way.7602/#post-161609

http://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/ice-to-control-pain-and-swelling.5493/

Wishing you comfort and relief.
@Plainfield

Thank you for your response.
Surgery date was July 12, 2021
Left knee
And yes that knee is swollen.
I feel so defeated. I really thought the hard times were over but that's not the case.
I am planning a vacation the end of this May and I hope I can make it.

Hello and Happy Thursday! @Plainfield
Thanks for providing your surgery date.
Please don’t feel defeated. This surgery does produce trauma to the leg, albeit controlled. It takes time to recover and that time varies from person to person for a variety of reasons. We normally tell people it takes a full year, but many continue to notice progress into the second and even third year post op.

If you’ve been exercising all along, something you’re engaging in may be what’s holding you back, so give some thought to trying something different, even if your surgeon prescribed more exercise. What do you have to lose, but the pain? Read the articles on ICE and ELEVATE and use walking as your only form of exercise, along with the activities of daily living for several weeks and see if you notice any improvement.
Stay in touch and let us know how you’re doing. We do care.

For 2 months (Feb & March) my knee was totally numb. About 2 weeks ago the numbness slowed down but my knee began to really hurt.
How did your knee feel from July to February before it went numb? What did the OS say about the numbness? Did you do a whole lot of activities while it was numb? If you did a lot and then the numbness wore off, that explains the pain. You have probably inflamed it causing this pain and swelling,

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie
Recent bookmarks
Back