TKR Still can’t kneel after 13 months tkr

OP
OP
#sully#

#sully#

Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Hi all, i don’t know if this is in the right place, but I’m 11 months post tkr right knee, just got back from seeing the surgeon who did the op, now he’s I’ve been put on the list for my left knee to be replaced, however he did offer me injections to relieve the pain and delay the operation for for ?? How many months, I’ve elected for surgery as I’m in good health at 69 years of age, have I done the right thing going surgery ?
Any comments welcome as I still have a lot of doubt as it’s a tough recovery

sistersinhim

Staff member since March 20, 2017
BoneSmart Staff
Country
United States United States
Arthritis will continue to get worse. I think getting it done now is the better choice. You're healthy, so why wait until your knee gets worse and maybe be a worse surgery?

kneeper

Staff member since January 6, 2014
BoneSmart Staff
Country
My first knee was so horrible it was a no brainer and I was eager to get it done. By comparison my second knee wasn't as bad so I dithered a bit. "Is it bad enough?" I had to remind myself not to compare the complete disaster my first pre-tkr knee was with the also quite bad second pre-tkr knee. It was "bad enough." The results were so good that I really was glad I got the second knee done.

If you need to buy time until you can get on the schedule, an injection might help. But injections just provide temporary relief.

Jaycey

ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011
Administrator
Country
13 months on and I still can’t kneel (too painful) is there usually a timescale on this ?
For many kneeling is uncomfortable for many months. Some of our members never feel comfortable kneeling after TKR. However, at only 13 months out it is still early days to be putting all your weight on that new knee.

There is no time scale for this. Just give it time and keep trying.

You will notice that I merged your newest post with your original recovery thread. For several reasons, we prefer that you only have one recovery thread:
  • That way, we have all your information in one place. This makes it easier to go back and review your history before providing advice.
  • If you keep starting new threads, you miss the posts and advice others have left for you in the old threads, and some information may be unnecessarily repeated
  • Having only one thread will act as a diary of your progress that you can look back on.
Please post any updates, questions or concerns about your recovery here. If you prefer a different thread title, just post what you want and we will get it changed for you.

If you need an urgent response to a question, just tag a member of staff.

Many members bookmark their thread in their computer browser, so they can find it when they log on.

sistersinhim

BoneSmart Staff
Country
My OS told me to not kneel, so I don't. Everyone's guidance is different and geared towards the individual patient. As has been said, do what is best for your knee causing less swelling and pain.

DJL1967

Country
Canada Canada
@#sully# I am 12 months post BTKR and still find it very uncomfortable to kneel. I can kneel only on well padded surfaces but it is difficult to get back upright and when I do I find my knees are very stiff and sore for awhile afterwards. You don't realize just how important kneeling is until you cannot do it.

DOCCUKE

Country
I had to comment on the title, can't kneel after 13 months. I can't kneel after 3 years and pretty sure I never will be able to again. I hope you heal fast and have better luck than I did
PEACE
DOC

OP
OP
#sully#

#sully#

Country
I sympathise with you both, just had a call today to attend pre op tomorrow for my left knee tkr in possibly 2 weeks, I’m still thinking about NOT having it done, as like most of you it’s a difficult recovery, I I don’t know whether to try to live with it for a couple of years and have injections

Reactions: shr
OP
OP
#sully#

#sully#

Country
13 months on and I still can’t kneel (too painful) is there usually a timescale on this ?
How are you trying to kneel and where is the pain?
I’ve tried kneeling on one knee, I feel if I put more weight on it, it would be unbearable, I struggle to get up if i’ve been laying on the floor

OP
OP
#sully#

#sully#

Country
I had to comment on the title, can't kneel after 13 months. I can't kneel after 3 years and pretty sure I never will be able to again. I hope you heal fast and have better luck than I did
PEACE
DOC
i feel for you my friend, I hope i don’t have to wait that long, like you I’m not sure if I ever will be able to kneel properly again

shr

Country
I’ve tried kneeling on one knee, I feel if I put more weight on it, it would be unbearable, I struggle to get up if i’ve been laying on the floor
My left knee is 8 weeks out and the scar is still too sensitive to take any pressure. My right knee is over a decade old and I believe it took me serveral months of practice before it would tolerate full kneeling pressure. Split squats are one of the exercises I'm doing for rehab. I'm just barely touching the fresh knee to the ground at the bottom bu expect it to build up tolerance with time.

OP
OP
#sully#

#sully#

Country
6 weeks post op now, my pain is half of what it was with the right knee, I stopped using crutches/walking stick one week ago, i still find it difficult to sleep at nights, I can’t find a comfortable position I use a heat pad on my knee at night and find it helps a bit, but serious loss of sleep.
thank you all who have commented so far, all the best to you all

sistersinhim

BoneSmart Staff
Country
Be careful with a heating pad. We have found that many who have used one at your early stage found that it caused more swelling. Inflammation is fed by heat. Ice starves inflammation so the swelling is diminished with it. That is why we suggest icing for at least the first few months.

benne68

Staff member since February 4, 2022
BoneSmart Staff
Country
Happy 2 month an-knee-versary tomorrow, @#sully# Hope you are doing well and that sleep has returned. Let us know how you are doing when you have a moment.

:flwrysmile:

OP
OP
#sully#

#sully#

Country
Thank you for asking these last few nights things seem to getting easier, I’m getting more sleep now thankfully, terrified of walking outside at the moment as it’s getting a bit frosty over here in the uk, nothing like you get in the states though. The thought of having a fall really is scary.
regards David

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Cal1100.
Recent bookmarks
Top Bottom