THR Stiffness in my Opposite Non-Operated Leg

MXResident

Country
Mexico Mexico
I had a left THR in mid May of last year and am now walking again (without a cane) at a fairly brisk pace but notice that many people do manage to walk ahead of me! I am now noting some stiffness in the upper part of my thigh in the opposite leg. It almost seems at times as though the operated leg is actually somewhat better!

I use a light dose of Tramacet daily (paracetamol 375 mgs + 37.5 mgs of Tramadol) once and sometiimes twice a day plus 600-1200 mgs of ibuprofen. The Tramadol component is particularly effective! I do live in a hilly town at 7000 feet elevation and have to either walk up to OR walk down from the center of town. For light hikes I take the Tramacet about 45 minutes before walking.

Could this stiffness be due to overuse of the good leg (my right one), and that I've allowed that leg to be the dominant one when stepping up or stepping down? There is a health club nearby with a heated semi-olympic pool. Should I use this? I have not so far. I have been concerned about my ability to get out of the pool. Thanks for any feedback.

Michel

Well, don't know if this applies to you, but many of us have arthritis in both hips ... and we have surgery because one is worse than the other ... but we know that a second surgery on the other side is coming at some point. You'll find a number of people on the board who had surgery on one side ... and later found the other side (which also has arthritis but perhaps not as bad as the operated side) was dragging ... And you'll see lots of people posting about having a second surgery.

Not saying that's you ... but simply saying your situation isn't all that unusual.

You don't say if there was arthritis diagnosed in the non-operated hip. You might want to call your surgeon and discuss.

Michel, I'd really like to offer you some structured advice but in order to do that, I also need to ask you some questions. Are you willing for me to do that?

My question is why are you still taking Ibuprofen and Tramadol. Do you still have pain in your replaced hip?
At 11 months post-op, your new hip should be capable of normal activities without needing medication.

Its not good practice to take a pain killer so you can get through some physical activity. Instead, you should see what you can do without the pill, starting your exercises with a small venture and gradually increasing ihe time or distance until your hip tells you that you've done enough.

Concentrate first on doing those essential walks to or from town. Don't set out on hikes until you can do the town walks without pain relief.

I agree that you should have your "good" hip checked out if you have not done so. It's not uncommon for a person who has one hip replaced to need the other one done at some point.

No, I did not have the THR because of arthritis but due to a fractured femur. And there is stiffness rather than any pain on that right side. It comes and goes. I do some light hiking, and one of our group members takes an anti-inflammatory before hiking. It says it helps him a lot with knee problems. I am scheduled to see an orthopod to look at an X-ray of my THR. Could this be due to a slight LLD?

No, I don't really have any pain in that operated side and have fairly good ROM with it. But I do tend to favor my unoperated leg when walking up a steep step or coming down from them. I do find, however, that the light dose of tramadol and ibuprofen together relieve the stiffness for often up to 6 hours, and I don't think the dosage I am taking is at all abusive. I recently met a man who had a THR years ago in Canada, and he also continues to have some stiffness years later. I certainly hope I would not require an operation on the opp. side. I am of normal weight and had no arthritis on the opp. side before this operation. Earlier this year, i had soreness in my opp heel and bought and still use a Dr. Scholl's insert in my shoe. Thanks for the feedback.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Tallguy51
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom