TKR stevesteve's Recovery Thread

stevesteve

Country
New Zealand New Zealand
An Older TKR of 73 years. Left TKR on Bastille Day 14th July.
First up on the day
Standing by evening
Walking with fame and sticks next day
Home the day after

Just intend on doing exercises and quietly recovering. Cant lift the leg yet.

So much has changed from a 1960's cartilage operation.

Oh I guess I have to edit in the fact that I also have COPD, which is just starting to become a bit of a nuisanse. Hard of hearing and shortsighted - but we get along just fine.

Last edited:
I have just had my left knee done (TKR) this Wednesday and now I'm back home.

My Surgeon said he did not normally approve of doing both knees at the same time so I will have to wait for the second one.

I was surprised at how little pain there was - but I'll just follow the pain killer medication.

I'm 73, hadn't found this web site, but the few people who I asked about the operation were all positive about it.

Right now I'm really glad I had it done and glad I only had one knee done. The other knee although bad is a godsend for getting about.

Last edited:
Hello @stevesteve - and :welome: to recovery.

I've copied your post from the July Sparklers thread and used it to start a recovery thread for you.

I've also copied another post form someone else's thread, as it also tells about your recovery.

Please post any updates or questions about your recovery in this thread from now on - it's your own thread. We will see them there, as someone checks all the new posts every day.
If you need an urgent response to a question, just tag a member of staff.
Tagging other members and answering tags

If you prefer a different thread title, just post what you want and we'll get it changed for you.

Just in case you couldn't find your thread, here are the instructions on finding your thread,
How can I find my threads and posts .

A helpful hint - Many members have found it useful to bookmark their thread so they don't lose it.

Best wishes,
Celle

It sounds as if things are going well for you.
Here are our recovery guidelines, to help you.
Knee Recovery: The Guidelines

People are all different, as are the approaches to this recovery and rehab. The key is, “Find what works for YOU.“ Your doctor(s), physiotherapist(s) and BoneSmart are here to help, but YOU are the final judge as to the recovery approach you choose.

1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary.

2. Control discomfort:
rest
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​

3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you​
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​

4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these

5. Try to follow this

6. Access to these pages on the website

The Recovery articles:
The importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart
Swollen and stiff knee: what causes it?
Energy drain for TKRs
Elevation is the key
Ice to control pain and swelling
Heel slides and how to do them properly
Chart representation of TKR recovery
Healing: how long does it take?
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

There are also some cautionary articles here
Myth busting: no pain, no gain
Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in the majority of BoneSmart’s forums, we ask that each member have only One Recovery Thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review the member’s history before providing advice, so please post any updates or questions you have right here in this thread.

Welcome, stevesteve and congratulations on your new knee. I had both knees done 8 weeks apart and that worked well for me. I can’t imagine having both done at the same time and give heroic applause to our many bilateral members.
You are only 2 days out of surgery and the pain meds/anesthesia are probably still kicking in. Don’t be surprised if you start experiencing some pain as the days go by and don’t think there’s anything wrong! This is a very long and sometimes tedious recovery that can take up to a year to get through. If you commit to the BoneSmart way of gentle recovery you will be delighted with the outcome. There are many, many success stories here you can read. Keep us posted as to how you are faring.

So on to my second full day at home.

Go for a walk on the sticks a few times a day up and down the house and exercises. But still cant lift the leg.

Found that Glad Wrap Press and seal is great round the wound as an extra protection in the shower. I know its not needed but if its the difference to springing a leak or not down the track, I'll use it. (2nd shower at home now)

Have been doing fitness exercises a couple a days week for the last 3 or 4 years and it seems to have given me slightly better upper body strength which is useful on the crutches.

Thats about it, I just keep taking the pills.

It’s not unusual to not be able to lift your leg. Don’t worry about it, it took me about 2 weeks, and I didn’t “work” on doing it, it came as I healed.

Great, Steve! You have what we call “LOG LEG”! One of these days you will be amazed that the leg just lifts with no problem! Sounds like you are doing great. Keep posting!

Just another (Monday) day Mooching about on the sticks and trying to get comfortable on a chair or bed.
We have lower end electric beds so that wins out hands down for comfort.

Was prescribed 30mg codine phosphate and 500mg paracetamol - taking 8 of each a day. Am starting to decrease the codine down to 4 day. Will see what happens tomorrow.

There are times when walking on the sticks the bad leg wants to go without sticks but not letting this happen.

Pain is more of dull throb that comes and goes, but have very little pain when in the bed.

My wife is feeling the effects of a 24 hour nurse cook and bottle-washer so we are going to try and simply what needs to be done and hopefully I will be able to do a bit soon as well.

Very early days for you to be doing anything except rest, ice and elevation. Can you get family or friends to give your wife a hand?

That approach of doing only what is needed will be helpful to both of you during the first weeks. Hang in there, it gets better week by week.

One day you may have to do it all for your wife :heehee: - it’s too soon for you to think of any activity besides walking around the house every few hours. Frozen dinners work great at times like these. There are ways to make life easier - be creative.

Yup 3 weeks now.
Lost the crutches about a week ago
Wound looks fine and surgeon happy
Started back on the fitness circuit at the gym and yes do get a bit of swelling after.
The knee is still a little stiff and not driving again yet but don't regret dumping the physio in favour of letting the knee recover from the surgery first. I'm sure that the stiffness will go in the course of time and exercise.

So there we go job pretty much done but will hold off for a while before having the other one done.

Thanks guys.

Sounds like you are doing well - keep going...

Be careful with those gym exercises! If your leg is swelling, you are doing too much. PT is not the only place you can overdo :no-fin: !

My PT facility happens to be at my gym. Kind of embarrassing to hobble in past the girls at the front desk when I used to boldly stride past them in full of health. At least I don't come in with a walker anymore. My upper body is losing its muscle mass and I am reverting back to my 9th grade body. Soon the bullies will be chasing me down again!

I am thinking as soon as I get a bit more stable I'll head into the gym and start some upper body exercises. Actual leg muscle building exercises beyond PT and ADL are a long way off!

Thanks Moone, take your time, a little more time is neither here nor there, its the end result that is the goal.

Yup Sisterpat, well aware that things can be overdone. On a circuit, there are routines that can be done , no problem. Routines that give a wee bit of help on the knee and routines that are best left alone right now. But the camaraderie from the group is so very helpfull.

As Beesknee inferred a bit of upper body work is always useful.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
All2Gd88
Recent bookmarks

Latest posts